The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What kind of music are you all into?  (Read 36101 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music are you all into?
« Reply #75 on: 05/05/2004 21:38:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by tweener

I must be getting really really OLD.  I've never heard of most of these artists.  That's a sure sign that the best part is over and it's just downhill to the end now....:(

Then how do you explain the fact that I'm older than you?  And what's wrong with downhill?  I'm damn tired of pushing my wagon uphill (especially with all the free riders) and now that I'm at the top (and have punted all the bums), I'm ready to cruise.  ................................wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 05/05/2004 21:57:28 by Donnah »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 06/05/2004 04:23:51 »
Really, I was just joking!  I don't recognize the bands, but I feel younger now than anytime in the past 10 years.  A lot of that is due to a renewed interest in music, mostly classical and instrumental new-age.

Going back to the age of establishing musical tastes, I have a book that discusses the neurological foundations of music and why it has such a profound effect on our brains and our emotions.  The hypothesis is that we can enjoy any type of music, but it is a learned taste.  If you haven't learned to listen to a certain type of music, which involves a LOT of mental processing, then you don't really recognize it as music.  Thus as you get older it gets harder to accept radically different types of music as enjoyable, even though they are just as much "music" as anything else.  It's kind of like learning a new language - the younger you are the easier it is, but music operates in more areas and lower levels of the brain and is even harder still.

I'll have to dig that book out and read it again.

I'm still pushing the wagon uphill, and will be for a while.  I get depressed about it sometimes, but I'll get to the top someday.   I'm ready to cruise, but responsibility overrides.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #77 on: 06/05/2004 23:48:21 »
I think the reason people get older and stuck in the music they listened to when they were young is beacause at some point in their lives they got too busy to keep up with what was new, and when they went back to it later, music had progressed so far that there's too big of a gap from where they left off for them to be able to appreciate it.  you have to listen to music in context of other music, to see where its coming from (although truly great albums can often be enjoyed out of context)  A good example to prove this is the band radiohead.  If anyone is familiar with their discography you can follow along (if you're not WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN THE PAST 10 YEARS??!! CATCH UP!)  Take soemone who knows Pablo honey and The Bends quite well and enjopys them but has never heard anything else.  if you give them Kid A or Amnesiac all of a sudden, i almost guaruntee you they'll hate it because there is too much of a jump with no context as to where it came from.  But if you give them OK computer they will like that, THEN give them a later album they will have a lot better appreciation for the progression of the band's music.  I thik this same thing happens on a grander scale as people age.  I swear never to let this happen to me!
Another comment is that pop music sucks.  Anything you can readily get your hands on nowadays (thanks to your good friends at the RIAA) sucks.  When we are young we don't notice that it sucks, when we get old we do, but the stuff that was popular when we were younger still sounds good because its so familiar.  I think if more people dug deeper into underground and independent music they'd find more music that they liked from all time periods.

A submarine is NOT a cargo ship!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 07/05/2004 03:37:07 »
Guess I'm abnormal then.  My son gave me an Evanescense CD (Fallen) and I love it.  No, it's not just because Steve gave it to me.  I love to listen to new stuff.

Some music seems to "tickle" my brain.  It feels like the various sounds stimulate different parts, and what a wonderful sensation it is!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 07/05/2004 05:30:46 »
I love to listen to new music.  All I said before was that I've never heard of most of these artists.  That's not saying I don't like them.  I was just in a funk and really living up to my signature.  I'm better now.

And, I agree that current pop music is really pretty lousy - at least what I've heard of it.

----

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 07/05/2004 05:58:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Some music seems to "tickle" my brain.  It feels like the various sounds stimulate different parts, and what a wonderful sensation it is!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Yay for brain tickeling!!!!

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 07/05/2004 06:07:34 »
Ok.... here's my new daily feature (we'll see how long I keep it up)  "song of the day" by Justin...
I love hearing what other people listen to and checking out the stuff I haven't heard of. (Donnah I haven't been able to find the band you mentioned, but I'm hoping when I go up to Duluth in a week and a half my old friends at the record store up there will help me out)  So I'm going to start giving out musical "asssignments" (I just watched "School of Rock" last night if you can tell) for anyone who's interested.  Some will be things most of you have never heard of, some might be cliassics you haven't dug out for a while.  I'll try to keep things as diverse as possible (thats just how my taste is anyway) so if you don't like something, come back the next day and try again.  If anyone else would like to start a similar thing taht would rock too! Or if anyone checks out any of my songs and has feedback on them I'm always eager to discuss.  Or if no one wants to listen to my crappy taste in music I don't blame you. (p.s.  as I'm very much against illegal downlaoding I'm going to pretened that anyone who might participate in this is getting their music through legal means.  Just do me a personal favor and don't let me know otherwise! :D)

Ok, today's song of the day:  "We looked like Giants" by "Death Cab for Cutie"   ENJOY!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 07/05/2004 12:32:28 »
I've just bought a couple of CDs of an Irish Folk band that I saw on TV, now normally FOLK music is NOT what I like but my jaw just dropped at the sounds I was hearing.....this was not conventional FOLK....oh no no no.....you could not get further away from it if you tried......It's Funky, it's jazzy, with dance and bass lines that rock. It's progressive,.....I emailed the show to get the name of the group and they're called KILA....so, I emailed their info line and one of the band members emailed me back....now we're emailing....nice.

Justy...I used to download music all the time...I don't anymore....but one thing that it did make me do was go and buy the original cds !!..from my point of view ...when I used to download, I always treated it as a 'taster'....cos from my perspective the quality was so ****e (due to the compression used and the fact that computers aren't hi fi's) that it was the only way I could prelude a group before buying it. I like to own the original.

I know I know I know that most people just burn it onto cd's and I agree that is wrong...but that's another debate isn't it ?...about the cost of a Cd almost drives people to make illegal copies etc etc

Wish I could check out "We looked like Giants" by "Death Cab for Cutie"....where are they based matey ?

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 07/05/2004 20:10:02 »
quote:
I know I know I know that most people just burn it onto cd's and I agree that is wrong...but that's another debate isn't it ?...about the cost of a Cd almost drives people to make illegal copies etc etc

It is wrong to make illegal copies of music, but I doubt the cost has very much to do with it.  I think that if CDs cost $5 instead of $15 there would still be people burning CDs from illegal copies.  

I also like to download music to "preview" it (though I don't do it much anymore) and then buy the original if I like it.  I've found several artists that way.

----

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 07/05/2004 21:23:15 »
when I do take the occasional guilty pleasure of an illegal song, I verify it by telling myself taht I'm just "smapling" the music and will buy it if I like it (lord knows I buy enough music)  I think that if thats all anyone did the artists and even record companies would not only approve, but pursuade people to do it.  The issue is though that if a band doesn't want you to do it its their right to distribute the music however they see fit.  I get annoyed by people who think that its their "right" to download the music regardless of what the artists think.
Getting off that topic (always one to stir up a good heated debate)... I'm not sure where death cab for cuite" is from neil.  I'm guessing somewhere in the states, but I dunno for sure.  I'll see if I can find out for you.  

Todays song of the day:  "Summer" by the band "Mogwai"  (this band is from your neck of the woods neily-o, thought I'd give ya some local flavor should you decide to check them out)

That's no moon.... its a GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 11/05/2004 08:03:52 »
In celebration of our internet lives being back to normal I would like to add yet another song of the day:

Funny thing is I don't even know the name of this song.  Its off the soundtrack of the film "Vanilla Sky" and it is by the band "Sigur Ros"  (they're from iceland so I figure they're a good middle ground for us if you only have tastes for regional music).  It should be pretty easy to find.  Enjoy.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #86 on: 13/05/2004 12:18:30 »
I finally bought a CD after like 2 years of boycotting the recording industry.  It's a string quartet tribute to Tool.  I was in Barnes and Noble looking for a new book and I noticed the muzak sounded awfully familiar.  I walked into the music department and said to the clerk "Is this what I think it is?"  She grinned at me and held up the CD case, and a sale was made.  It's a niche market, though...not many Tool fans are into string quartets and vice versa.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 14/05/2004 07:17:36 »
is the band "apocoliptica"???  If so I have one of their discs as well that I bought back in HS  I dig their stuff.  Very few people notice the striking stylistic similarities between heavy metal and baroque-era music.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 14/05/2004 07:18:22 »
Song of the day:  "stars" by the band "Hum"

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 04/06/2004 13:21:23 »
I have just discovered a classic song which i am surprised i have never heard before but it has muscled itself into my top ten... and quite a way up too! not sure what it has forced out. Underworld are a quality band and alongside Orbital, were the daddies of modern day dance music in the early 90s. I heard a song by them yesterday called "Jumbo" I now have to go out and buy the album because that song BLEW me away! Neil, i'll have to come by the shop and play it on one of the old quality set ups because its amazing!!! check it out!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 11/06/2004 23:53:08 »
ooooohhh...only a few days before I see 'YES'....yayyyyyyy !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 17/06/2004 03:53:51 »
Tonight....well, last night in fact...I had the pleasure of seeing YES at Wembley Arena. Absolutely amazing and breathtaking example of incredible musicianship....

Richard, Chris...they did a Chigago Blues version of  'Roundabout'.........Jon Andersons voice is still so fresh........It was almost ethereal to see such audacious musicality......FANF*CKINGTASTIC !!  (oops....hope that doesn't offend anyone)

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 21/06/2004 02:29:28 »
I've never heard of ANY of the bands you guys are talking about, but most of you are from the UK so that could explain my dilema.  I dont losten to music that often, borring to me, I'd much rather read a book, and expand my mind!!

To see the world through a grain of sand.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 21/06/2004 02:49:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by OmnipotentOne

I've never heard of ANY of the bands you guys are talking about, but most of you are from the UK so that could explain my dilema.  I dont losten to music that often, borring to me, I'd much rather read a book, and expand my mind!!

I could go on for hours and hours about my passion for music........but you just can not dismiss music as boring !!.......music is mind expanding in itself !....it is just as much an art form as any other !.......and it is truely international !....unlike literature which needs to be translated.....music.....is music......and until you have sampled different examples.....you should not dispel music as 'boring'......though I realise and respect that it's your opinion, and perhaps you just do not like music....but I would expect that you just have not heard a musical piece that you like, perhaps next time you are reading one of your mind expanding books, you should have on in the background some Mozart.....or some ambient tunes........you may find your reading experience even more thrilling.......perhaps even to the point where your mind is opened up to the possibility of enjoying music !!

In me......I have never been moved as much, than as when I have been listening to music.......:)

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 21/06/2004 19:51:13 »
lol maybe I should rephrase that, what I meant is the music that is so commonly played, like rap, metal, pop.  Thats the type of music I cant stand, its just people screaming and cursing to me.  I couldnt possible consider those such as Mozart music, they deserves a category of there own, inspiration.  Through my life, music just hasnt been a big thing to me, I can totally understand that others can use it to relax and calm there mind, to me its just been words.  A live concert where unknown people sing, just for the reason to sing, would suit me more.  I could always settle for a book on tape!!

When I say somthing it always comes out in the way I didn't mean it to!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 21/06/2004 21:56:41 »
quote:

Me too Richie......I even argue with myself most times !!!:D:D

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 22/06/2004 20:47:07 »
I like eighties soft rock (David Bowie) and pop also alternative. I like some Classical but not much opera, Carmena Burana the exception. I like Gwen Stephanie and does she sing that old song, "It's my life" or something? I liked Red Hot and Blue.

Titanscape

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 22/06/2004 21:15:33 »
Did you ever like QUEEN Bren ?...of course they did that excellent 'Under Pressure' with D Bowie....I saw them three times......Freddy was the ultimate showman....he could whip the crowd up into a hysterical frenzy !!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 22/06/2004 21:36:45 »
quote:

lol maybe I should rephrase that, what I meant is the music that is so commonly played, like rap, metal, pop.  Thats the type of music I cant stand, its just people screaming and cursing to me.  I couldnt possible consider those such as Mozart music, they deserves a category of there own, inspiration.  Through my life, music just hasnt been a big thing to me, I can totally understand that others can use it to relax and calm there mind, to me its just been words.  A live concert where unknown people sing, just for the reason to sing, would suit me more.  I could always settle for a book on tape!!

It's interesting that you mention the words.  I too fail to get much of anything out of contemporary metal, rap, and most pop music, but it's because the words are lost on me.  You seem to hear the words and not get much from the music.

In my youth I played in a band and did a lot of classical type music - no vocals.  Even now, I really don't hear the words to a song, unless they are particularly dominant.  Mostly, I just hear the music.  Pure music, especially classical (and some contmporary "new age" and "alternative") is very inspiring to me and definitely affects me at a very low level in my mind.  Opera does absolutely nothing for me, because I can't ever follow the words, and they are usually integrally important to the overall operatic experience.  Basically the same applies for much of the contemporary music where there is lots of background along with the vocals.  The music is mindless and the vocals are lost (and probably mindless too).

This post does not make any sense, but I'm going to toss it up here anyway.

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 22/06/2004 22:02:20 »
I have to agree John... (and Omni One)...most of todays contemporary stuff is mindless trite and sh*te...and it is so very didfficult to understand what the hell is going on in those 'songs' ('songs' being quite a loose term here)...I suppose you have to know the street speak for all that crap....but....some people might say that what we liked as youths was met with the same contempt !...

To be honest....It is difficult to find any song nowadays  (my humble opinion)where the words really mean anything at all....the voice is there and is being used as an instrument...there are plenty of exceptions of course but generally....I tend to concentrate on the pitch and tone of the actual 'voice' rather than the message. If the lyrics are that good, you'll get the message...

I've never been keen on Opera too....but there's a bloke out there called Russell Watson...self taught, no training and the last few years he has considerably shortened the gap between contemporay and classical/opera...his first album  (funnily enough called 'The Voice') I think is well worth a listen.....he does a fantastic version of Bridge Over Troubled Water.....

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 22/06/2004 22:02:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums