The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would it be possible to avoid time paradoxes?  (Read 3106 times)

James Noguera

Would it be possible to avoid time paradoxes?
« on: 16/02/2009 18:30:02 »
James Noguera  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi,

I would like to know if it is (theoretically) possible to, once you have travelled into the past (creating a new parallel universe), to return to the future from which you came (and not the future of the parallel world you have just created, and possibly altered, by travelling into the past)? (This is, of course, according to the multiverse theory.)

James
Bronx, NY

What do you think?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2009 19:31:24 »
Time travel (especially of living people) is at the moment a matter of science fiction.  As far as we can tell, time travel is a one way street: you can go forward but not back.  In addition, multiverse theories are purely speculation at this point.  No one has been able to test them experimentally.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2009 20:04:20 »
Yeah, there's a setting in the time machine. Near the indicators.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2009 23:13:44 »
Good fun but you can't discuss the Science of it 'cos it isn't Science.

btw, on the Ford Focus the button is just below the wiper control.

Offline Astronomer_FB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/02/2009 23:39:47 »
I don't think we would ever be able to time travel because you have to have all the past energy present which you can't because you can not create energy.  AND  to take all the atoms to there exact positioning is not a good chance .  also time is a thought it is intangeable you can not goof around with something that is not real, it is like saying try to touch mo my imaginary friend.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2009 08:58:48 »
It worries me a bit wehen we get so many questions like this that seem to suggest that the extremes of fantasy and science fiction writing are possible or at best likely to happen  some time in the future.  I fear that for many younger people the exitement of time travel parallel worlds and superpowers completely outshine the boring reality of real science.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2009 11:55:31 »
James Noguera  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi,

I would like to know if it is (theoretically) possible to, once you have travelled into the past (creating a new parallel universe), to return to the future from which you came (and not the future of the parallel world you have just created, and possibly altered, by travelling into the past)? (This is, of course, according to the multiverse theory.)

James
Bronx, NY

What do you think?

No, you can't. What you are wondering about is a natural effect of a bifurcation in time where there suddenly exist two or more ways. The possibility of any conscious choosing there will eliminate the others probability, if we assume that you by manipulation could exchange the most 'probable way' for another.

And it seems, as I guess you think, as those 'worlds' really need to be apart as one otherwise could expect the 'grandfather paradox' wherein you go back to kill your own grandfather and therefore cut of the possibility of you yourself ever being born.

So I agree on that, if it was possible, going back just will create new 'bifurcations'. And whatever you then do to 'come back' to where you once started will just become another 'bifurcation/split' without any relevance to where you once started your 'time jumping'.
« Last Edit: 17/02/2009 11:57:04 by yor_on »

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2009 16:43:53 »
  I fear that for many younger people the exitement of time travel parallel worlds and superpowers completely outshine the boring reality of real science.
That is very sad. I would say that only boring people find Science (or even life) boring.
Making real stuff work is about the least boring thing you can do. I think there is a confusion, for many young people, between "boring" and "demanding"

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2009 16:43:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums