The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Saving Jade Goody - Urgent Humanitarian Appeal.  (Read 36738 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Saving Jade Goody - Urgent Humanitarian Appeal.
« Reply #25 on: 17/02/2009 23:29:50 »
Paul I think you better had. Sometimes it is a good idea to insert your brain before typing.

paul.fr

« Reply #26 on: 17/02/2009 23:34:03 »
But what would i have to type if i went around doing that?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17/02/2009 23:41:27 »
You might be a little more sensitive.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18/02/2009 02:04:45 »
Come on Guys. NobodySavedMe's grief is obviously real and if it's real it's valid.

When I worked for the Samaritans we sometimes had people phoning who were absolutely distraught following an occurrence that most people would find trivial. But if you have enough sh1t in your life it eventually builds up into a mountain. I once talked to someone who tried to kill herself after she dropped her dinner on the floor. But of course that wasn't the real reason. It was just the catalyst. The final straw. She saw the dropped dinner as the ultimate confirmation of her inadequacy. Her confidence had been chipped away by a relentless stream of low level sh1t which altered her perspective on the significance of everyday things. Her grief over the spilt dinner was devastatingly real and almost cost her her life.

No one knows whats happening in someone's head so you can't begin to understand the context of peoples grief. None of us are qualified to sit in judgement of NobodySavedMe. It may be that cancer has a particular significance for him.

Your responses are inappropriate. Your comments should be less about support for Jade Goody and more about your support for one of our fellow bloggers.
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 14:13:28 by John Chapman »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18/02/2009 03:43:28 »
NobodySavedMe wants a cure. Not support.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19/02/2009 09:57:52 »
Why are there two of the same post?

You're right, I don't understand at all.
So she is just another "no Briton's were on board" to me.
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 10:06:43 by Chemistry4me »

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19/02/2009 10:00:58 »
Many nasty remarks have been made here by jealous people who have nothing positive to contribute but hate and are simply driven by envy of her money and fame.

You should be ashamed.

I don't think anyone is envious of her, her money or fame. They just don't see her as the celebrity that you do, she has not touched our lives or become part of it. Yes, it is sad that she has terminal cancer but she is not the only one. Why have you not thought to post a topic asking for a cure before? Why single one person out?

I don't care how Jade Goody became famous. If she helps one person like Roy Castle helped my brother then I will support her forever.

She did it through a publicist, not to help others but to make money. Don't you think she charged each and every news organisation, for each and every interview? She did it for the money, not the greater good.

Some of you people don't understand at all.

Look when a plane crashes the newscaster states 160 people were killed, "no Briton's were on board",or no Americans were on board.This allows us to dismiss the incident as 1) We don't know who these people are,2) We never saw them,3) We don't know them,they are strangers, we don't know their culture, we don't want to know either, in other words they don't exist in our conscienceless for more than a transient second.

Now contrast this with the plane which landed in the Hudson river,in America a few weeks and no one was killed.The news programs spend a full 12 minutes on that"tragedy"out of a 25 minute long news program.

That week at least a full 5 hours was devoted to the survivors on the news.
Interviews were done with the survivors,their relatives,the plane crew were hailed as hero's.they were showing over and over again how the survivors got out and there was massive publicity on the radio,the TV,the papers.Even though nobody died.

The following week the publicity was less but 2 weeks later again massive publicity was given with video footage of the plane landing on the river.Again everyone was interviewed after it was confirmed birds had gone into the engines.

The plane survivors were real people.We know their names,their faces, we know that one was a hockey player, another one was a a student going to see his mother in Seattle, another one was going to a convention.In other words we saw these people as real cogent,alive people.

We saw their faces,We saw them as real people.

It is true thousands of other people have cancer but they are not real as we don't know them.We have never met them,or seen their faces, or are familiar with their pain or hopes, dreams,aspirations.They are not part of our world view.They are complete strangers.

The human mind cannot imagine more than 6 or 7 distinct points at the same time as Koestler proved.

In the same way Jade Goody is alive, real to us,she is part of our lives as she has been on TV for many 1000's of hours,she is on the radio,the TV,the papers,the magazines.She cannot be dismissed.She is more real than real.She is a part of our lives.She is a part of our world shaping reality and as such is more important as evidenced by the massive attention being given to her as a result of our huge interest in her.
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 10:04:59 by NobodySavedMe »

paul.fr

« Reply #32 on: 19/02/2009 12:26:55 »
She cannot be dismissed.She is more real than real.She is a part of our lives.

Until you can realise that this is not true, there is not point continuing this discussion.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21/02/2009 03:30:01 »
I am possibly in a unique position to respond in this thread as I too have terminal cancer and only a few months to live. I've never been a fan of Jade Goody and consider her a talentless article who got where she is for no discernible reason. I do, though, sympathise with her plight; but no more so than with anyone else in the same situation. Just because she is a celebrity whose face I know I don't think I owe her more sympathy than anyone else with terminal cancer.

Paul is right to point out that she is milking every last ounce of publicity out of her condition. Why? Because she wants to ensure her children's future? She already has enough money for that. The truth is she is a fanatical self-publicist. Were she not, she would never have entered Big Brother in the 1st place.

I also agree with MakeItLady who said that if Ms Goody is responsible for saving just 1 life then what she is doing is worthwhile. I did an interview on BBC Radio 5 last Saturday evening and afterwards someone phoned the show to say that he was going to make some changes in his life as a result of things I'd said. That pleased me because just changing 1 person's life for the better is worthwhile.

So, love Jade Goody or hate her, she is in a sad situation; but no worse a situation than thousands of others. To try to portray her as some kind of goddess is warped. She is a human being - no more, no less.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21/02/2009 03:41:45 »
Is there anywhere that I can find that interview?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21/02/2009 05:08:34 »
Don't they have an audio bank of something? I could not find one :(

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21/02/2009 22:54:05 »
C4M - Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/nolan/ and look for the Nolan: Jade Goody Monday 16th February 2009 entry. You can download the podcast from there. My bit is right at the end. It's an edited version (about half the length) of the original that was broadcast on BBC Radio Ulster a couple of days after I did the interview.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21/02/2009 23:03:16 »
Ok, thanks, I'll have a look.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21/02/2009 23:05:00 »
How can you look at a podcast?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21/02/2009 23:07:12 »
Okay, I'm listening to your right now :)

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22/02/2009 19:20:01 »
I am possibly in a unique position to respond in this thread as I too have terminal cancer and only a few months to live. I've never been a fan of Jade Goody and consider her a talentless article who got where she is for no discernible reason. I do, though, sympathise with her plight; but no more so than with anyone else in the same situation. Just because she is a celebrity whose face I know I don't think I owe her more sympathy than anyone else with terminal cancer.

Paul is right to point out that she is milking every last ounce of publicity out of her condition. Why? Because she wants to ensure her children's future? She already has enough money for that. The truth is she is a fanatical self-publicist. Were she not, she would never have entered Big Brother in the 1st place.

I also agree with MakeItLady who said that if Ms Goody is responsible for saving just 1 life then what she is doing is worthwhile. I did an interview on BBC Radio 5 last Saturday evening and afterwards someone phoned the show to say that he was going to make some changes in his life as a result of things I'd said. That pleased me because just changing 1 person's life for the better is worthwhile.

So, love Jade Goody or hate her, she is in a sad situation; but no worse a situation than thousands of others. To try to portray her as some kind of goddess is warped. She is a human being - no more, no less.

I am very sorry to hear you have terminal cancer.

In any case Jade Goody is not talentless .She has made more money then you or me and shows she has hidden smarts.She is a national icon now and we must support her.

Her wedding is very soon.

Paray that she makes it through the wedding.I will be taking the day of work to paray for her.

She has show remarkable courage in coming out and showing her condition publicly.

She even showed that she was bald,thanks to the horrible doctors giving her money making poisons to boost the profits of fruadulent pharmaceutical companies who charge it to the NHS budget.

I find it lamentable that you Doctor Beaver have failed to save yourself and took chemo which did not work and have failed to act on numerous other methods to cure cancer in your own body.

You are a living monument,sadly to be no more,to the power of brainwashing by the organized pharmaceutical establishment.

By the way can you guess why my user name is NobodySavedMe?
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 19:27:53 by NobodySavedMe »

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22/02/2009 19:45:36 »
I find it lamentable that you Doctor Beaver have failed to save yourself and took chemo which did not work and have failed to act on numerous other methods to cure cancer in your own body.

What? He said he decided to forego chemotherapy because it was not very effective on his type of cancer.

So it's his own fault he can't recover from cancer because he's failed to save himself? WTF?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22/02/2009 19:48:24 »
She has made more money then you or me...

Are you sure of that?

...and shows she has hidden smarts.

A good publicist (Max Clifford), you mean. Without him she would still be a nobody.

You are a living monument,sadly to be no more,to the power of brainwashing by the organized pharmaceutical establishment.

I haven't failed to save myself yet because I am still alive. I have declined chemo because it is largely ineffective against the type of cancer I have and would serve only to make me feel worse. I am looking at numerous alternative therapies and I can assure you (and if you knew me you would already know this) that I have in no way been brainwashed.

Incidentally, I have more talent in my little finger than Ms Goody has in her entire body. I am a qualified piano teacher, acheived grade 7 on guitar, can play numerous other instruments to a fairly high standard, was a professional musician for years, did much session work and have released 3 solo albums. Please do not make such brash statements without first establishing the credentials of the person you are attempting to denegrate.
« Last Edit: 23/02/2009 19:35:29 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22/02/2009 19:50:50 »
You obviously have been brainwashed DoctorBeaver as you believe it is the cancer killing you, when it is actually the organized pharmaceutical establishment!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22/02/2009 19:52:25 »
You obviously have been brainwashed DoctorBeaver as you believe it is the cancer killing you, when it is actually the organized pharmaceutical establishment!

Oh, of course. Why didn't I see that long ago. How silly of me. By not taking the drugs I'm displaying how badly they have brainwashed me and succumbing to their evil plan to rid the world of me!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 22/02/2009 19:57:15 »
Hmm, seems to me the principle learning point from the whole miserable business is that people don't stop being themselves just because they've got a terminal illness. Never having had the slightest interest in Ms Goody hitherto, I'm shooting in the dark a bit here, but my impression of her (gleaned mainly from BBC Radio 4 news bulletins), both previously and at present, is that she's got little or no natural reticence (which is fine, but I wouldn't want to have to have anything to do with her) and her current wretched situation hasn't changed that. I am, however, mildly intrigued by her decision to be so public with her current trials.
She's always exploited the media to be where she wants to be (in the public eye, apparently, no accounting for people...) and she's still doing it. Her motives in wanting to provide the maximum financial support for her kids are admirable, and I see no reason not to take them at face value, although I do rather doubt her judgement on this one.

My father (who was 16 when his dad died of smoking-related illnesses) told my sister and me (both in our early teens at the time, so at least 25 years after the event) that if he ever thought we'd taken to smoking he'd tell us, in detail, about our grandfather's death, I find the whole thing a bit mystifying. Even saying that much to us clearly distressed him significantly.. I really don't think that if I were a teenager growing up without a mum, as her kids will be in a few years time, I'd want to be confronted with the current coverage the first time I plugged my mother's name into google (or whatever the top search engine is by that point - which they inevitably will at some point). On the other hand, she's their mum, she wants to do what's best for them, and maybe if they're her kids it won't have the same effect on them as it would have done on me.

And... NobodySavedMe... you may be a sincere paranoid lunatic, you may  be a paranoid lunatic genuinely distressed by the inevitable demise of Ms Goody/Mrs Tweed, but you are still a paranoid lunatic and you still need to get a grip and accept that the pharmaceutical companies, whilst they may not always be 100% scrupulous really are not actively out to kill people. Nor are the doctors who prescribe these drugs. (Sorry John Chapman and MakeItLady, but have you read any of NSM's other posts? This isn't just about Goody.)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22/02/2009 20:43:41 »
So you are saying that my husband, who works for Shire Pharmaceuticals, is responsible for killing Dr Beaver.
Ask all the women who were able to take a cancer drug instead of having their breast removed if the pharmaceutical industry is a bad thing. Ask people who have had an operation and had no ill effects from the anesthetic if Diprovan is a terrible drug. I mention the last two because I worked on them. When I was working on them I wasn't rubbing my hands together shouting " this will kill some more sickly bastards" I was thinking "This is such a great drug, lets make it even better."

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22/02/2009 22:56:15 »
Hi Rosy

Yes I have read some of NobodySavedMe's other posts, although not until after I had posted my comments above. I'm the new boy here, so I don't want to swim against the tide of popular opinion. But I've always believed that if a person is feeling genuine grief then it needs to be treated appropriately. It doesn't matter if it is misguided or even delusional. Grief is grief. If your grief is undermined by everybody else then you cannot share it. If you are continually having to justify your grief then this changes the perspective from which you see it and that stops you coming to terms with it.

By the way, should I not ask why his username is NobodySavedMe?
« Last Edit: 23/02/2009 00:57:25 by John Chapman »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23/02/2009 03:22:40 »
By the way, should I not ask why his username is NobodySavedMe?
NobodySavedMe = Jade Goody ?????????
Were you on Big Brother NobodySavedMe?

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23/02/2009 11:24:22 »
She has made more money then you or me...

Are you sure of that?

...and shows she has hidden smarts.{/quote]

A good publicist (Max Clifford), you mean. Without him she would still be a nobody.

I haven't failed to save myself yet because I am still alive. I have declined chemo because it is largely ineffective against the type of cancer I have and would serve only to make me feel worse. I am looking at numerous alternative therapies and I can assure you (and if you knew me you would already know this) that I have in no way been brainwashed.

Incidentally, I have more talent in my little finger than Ms Goody has in her entire body. I am a qualified piano teacher, acheived grade 7 on guitar, can play numerous other instruments to a fairly high standard, was a professional musician for years, did much session work and have released 3 solo albums. Please do not make such brash statements without first establishing the credentials of the person you are attempting to denegrate.

Denergrate?

i was expressing remorse at your self confessed expected demise.yet you abuse me.why?

maybe you feel better being part of the majority group and ganging up on me.if it make you feel better please continue.

quote :-"i have declined chemo because it is largely ineffective against the type of cancer I have and would serve only to make me feel worse".

you never mentioned this in your last post.are we expected to guess your previous actions?

ok so you have made more money then jade goody so why rub shoulders with us commoners?

Why are you not out playing golf and counting your gold bars with the ex-boss of hbos and the other banking robbers?

Cancer survival rates are hugely fraudulent.Just are just like the accounts of HBOS and other banks were when Lloyds took them over.Full of manipulation designed to hide the truth.

The terrible thing about cancer survival rates is that they have stayed the same yet the figures have been manipulated to show "improvement".
« Last Edit: 23/02/2009 11:36:05 by NobodySavedMe »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 23/02/2009 11:24:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums