The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could anyone suggest a car immobiliser circuit using a 555 timer (or similar)?  (Read 11844 times)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
At present, when I'm not using my car (with mechanical points) I take the distributor arm out to stop it being nicked.

I thought:
If I were to purposely offset the distributor - back 20 say, the spark would have no effect.

Then, running the breaker wire through to under the dash I could have an electrical or electronic delay that would 're-allign' the timing - sending the 'off' pulse back to the coil in the right place.

I would then have a handy 'fob' with a push button for starting that I could take with me instead of a key.

I was thinking of adding a PNP power transistor (BD912 from Maplins) to prolong the points, so amplifying will be dealt with.

I know many people just use an isolator switch, but any crook with an ounce of automotive know-how could get round this...

lyner

If you changed the ignition to a contactless system, then you might have a chance - else a thief could hot wire it. Moreover, you'll need some hefty circuit components to handle the voltages - like a proprietary device, using the contacts.
You could always fit a tap in the fuel line - that would fox 'em. Or a Clamp!

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Tap on the fuel line - why didn't I think of that? !
Trust me to come up with a complicated solution when a simple one would do!!

I'd opt for a solenoid driven valve next to the carb though, or the 'perps' might get half a street away before the fuel died...

W.R.T. my electronic convolution -
Moreover, you'll need some hefty circuit components to handle the voltages - like a proprietary device, using the contacts.
-Not if the inhibition is on the low tension side with a power amp doing the hard work...

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A car could travel a few hundred meters on the petrol in the float chamber of the carburettor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburettor#Basics

The perps may still smash the window or bend the door to break in to an electronically immobilized car.
So a highly visible steering wheel clamp/lock would be a better option:
 no point in breaking into the car if the steering wheel is immobilised.

This steering wheel lock looks like it could double as an extra large frying pan  :)

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=100-9362&tn=/2/AW06100-9362TPS62965.jpg
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 03:03:08 by RD »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
So a highly visible steering wheel clamp/lock would be a better option
My bicycle has a quick release seat. I wonder if anyone's ever made a quick release steering wheel! :P

It'd have to have a safety switch so you couldn't drive off without it being fully engaged on the post, though!!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
So a highly visible steering wheel clamp/lock would be a better option
My bicycle has a quick release seat. I wonder if anyone's ever made a quick release steering wheel! :P

All formula one cars have these!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You mean a steering wheel or the quick release seat?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
You mean a steering wheel or the quick release seat?

Wheel - haven't you seen a GP?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Nope.

Remember the last time I talked about F1 wheels? :D

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oh, you mean on TV or live?
TV: Yes. But I've never seen the steering wheel come off.
Live: Afraid not.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Even if a steering wheel was removed from an ordinary car
 it may still be possible to steer it with a big pair of these locking pliers ("Mole grips")...

http://tooltray.com/product.asp?SOURCE=PRICEGRABBER

[Although this would be rather dangerous].

« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 19:04:08 by RD »

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
If you used two it would be like a motorcycle. At least as long as you don't have to turn hard.

My dad had a little hidden switch under the rear seat. It disconnected the ignition I believe. Lift seat, move switch, leave potential thieves puzzled. Don't know if anyone ever tried, but his car was never stolen.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Whoa! That sounds like a very smart/high-tech car!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Evidently one handle is sufficient to steer a car ...

http://www.steamcar.net/toledo.html
« Last Edit: 21/02/2009 00:12:12 by RD »

lyner

I just had a vision of everyone wandering around the shopping centre with a steering wheel under their arms (including car thieves - just in case they found an immobiliser which wasn't working)

peppercorn - have you ever measured the peak voltages on the primary side of a car ignition? When you break the circuit, the volts shoot up to hundreds (V = LdI/dt) - hence the beefy semiconductors needed

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
Whoa! That sounds like a very smart/high-tech car!

In case this was in reference to my Dad's car: It was an old BMW 316. I am sure he did it with all of his cars though. Can't ask him any longer.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ohhhh.... I thought it came with the car.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
peppercorn - have you ever measured the peak voltages on the primary side of a car ignition? When you break the circuit, the volts shoot up to hundreds (V = LdI/dt) - hence the beefy semiconductors needed

SC - I must admit I hadn't banked on the voltage climbing that high!
Just to clarify: you've used the formula for an ideal inductor (with inductance L) - Yes?
Can the primary side of an auto-wound transformer be described this simply? With energy transfer to the HT side I would have thought the analysis is more complexed.
I believe the IC I looked up was rated to about 200V for Vce & was similar spec. to ICs used successfully (assuming the homebrew websites I looked at were accurate!).

lyner

L dI/dt must apply but it's the dI/dt  that isn't known - the spectrum of the spark (RF) is hard to tell.

I do remember that, when the DIY, capacitor discharge electronic ignition was all the rage, the capacitors used had to be 400V working plus. And that system had a well defined dI/dt.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I did once see a design for a sort of imobiliser circuit using a 555.
The 555 drove a relay that interupted the current to the coil a few times a second.
This made the car misfire and splutter horribly.
It didn't stop someone stealing your car- but it did mean they were not likely to drive it very far.
I'm not sure how this would work with modern electronic ignition and I suspect it might void the warranty.

lyner

If your modern immobiliser fails then you take it back to the shop!! (Once the fuzz have recovered it)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length