The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why a line of hair on the chest ?  (Read 4930 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why a line of hair on the chest ?
« on: 07/05/2005 03:52:26 »
Ok, I admit...I have a hairy chest !! (makes me more cuddly y'know ?)...err...anyway......My chest displays symmetry. Why ?  Why is there a line of hair on the chest ?.....it's rather strange don't you think ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Santi2c

• View Profile
Re: Why a line of hair on the chest ?
« Reply #1 on: 07/05/2005 04:25:46 »
well all other hair is symmetrical, so why not the chest.  in fact, most of us has an a side and a b side.

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 07/05/2005 10:33:48 »
The pattern of body and head hair is supposedly hydro dynamic too :D. So we are a bit faster at swimming than we would be if we were totally smooth. I doubt this idea a bit though because Dolphins have no hair... Seals do I guess????

wOw the world spins?

Offline Santi2c

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2005 11:07:42 »
well either way, its true that we're faster than if we were just an asymetrical matt of hair, and we need hair, so its shaped for speed i guess.

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2005 11:23:27 »
Remember reading something on the 'aquatic ape' theory, that stated that the growth direction of human hair is different than in gorillas and chimps. Ours is supposedly aquadynamic, theirs not.

Apart from the diving reflex of course, which we share only with animals that actually LIVE in the water most of the time. Pretty strong argument, that. No other ape has it. They cannot hold their breath, at all.

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/05/2005 12:02:16 »
Gosh, this is interesting....(no really, it is)....what about hairy backs ?...they don't have lines do they ?...well, mine doesn't.....

Thank you for your answers chums.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/05/2005 23:04:05 »
Wow, I just posted a question today that I've been pondering for awhile that's hair related. I did a search for "pubic" but excluded the hair word. Guess brilliant minds get confused alike. :)
Hair IS very interesting. I've always wondered why some are lacking hair where others are covered. Is it genetic? Is it due to climate? Is it a different rate of evolutionary events? Or, is it just luck (or lack there of) the draw?

Just a thought,

Ronnie

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/05/2005 23:16:27 »
Yayy !!!..Hi Ronnie.....

I've had a few hair related queries recently and It's great to see you posting here as well as your own hair related post.....one thing I do know, growth of hair can be restricted by the position you lay in bed, you probably know this anyway.....but I realised a few years ago why there is less hair on one arm than the other and it's due to my laying position.....

Don't know why I even mentioned it........but thought I would :-):D

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2005 10:07:34 »
quote:
...what about hairy backs ?...they don't have lines do they ?...well, mine doesn't.....

My experience is a bit limited, but I get the impression that hair on backs does have a definite direction in the same way as hair on chests does. This being the case, if the areas of hair joined up in the middle there'd have to be a line somewhere where the direction changed (just as on the chest).

Offline ADD HAHAHA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/05/2005 07:35:39 »
hair probly is realated to the fact that peoples ancectors were in colder climates and they're young probly hold on as infints.

P.S. there r women with hairy chests
theres a hair in my milk....:D

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/05/2005 18:17:34 »
well its because the skin which is on the centre has an aponeurosis below and skin is stretched over there and i hope due to this difference they are more sensatie to adrenal androgens well i do have a same symmetry ha ha ha ha

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 23/05/2005 18:17:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums