The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is It Possible To Have Two Colds At The Same Time ?  (Read 6505 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Coldologists ....aaa-aaa-aaaa-aaaa--chooooooooooooooo !!

Bless me !!

Take a look at Ms Feelsorryformyself !

Look at her !!...she's got a cold !!...awwwwww !!
poor thing !!.............hmmmmm nice hair !!..I do have a penchant for hair of that hue. I wonder if she'd mind me doing her whilst she has her cold..I don't mind !

Anyway, as a sheepy with four kids !....they are always bringing home a cold a week. Ewe can always guarantee the latest germ is in our house. We've all got colds and I am sure they are not the same cold !..Is it possible to have two colds at the same time ?..or even more ?..is it possible that two sepereate colds make sweet luurve in our blood stream and then make another cold ?...do two colds perpertuate another ? (bad english ?)

What's your thought on the nature of catching more than one cold at the same time?

Hugs et les shmishes

mwah mwah mwah (though  don't sheepose ewe really want a sheepy hug right now...aaa-aa-aaa-aachooo !)

Neil
Owner Of A Blocked Up Nose
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ethos

Is It Possible To Have Two Colds At The Same Time ?
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2009 00:51:46 »
I would guess that catching more than one type of cold at a time is very possible. Taking into account that the Rino virus has a multitude of forms and can constantly mutate, one could conceivably have two or more varieties at the same time.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2009 01:14:48 »
I would guess that catching more than one type of cold at a time is very possible. Taking into account that the Rino virus has a multitude of forms and can constantly mutate, one could conceivably have two or more varieties at the same time.

Hi Ethos and thank you very much for your insight. Cripes !...I wonder if having two colds means you feel twice as rotten too !

Welcome to the site and thanks again for your kind comment.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2009 13:12:14 »
I would expect it to be possible to catch a second cold but it'd be  slightly less likely to make you ill than catching the same cold if not already infected with the first since if the immune system is already fired up to generate lots of antibodies in a search for something that will attack cold #1 it's more likely to catch and see off cold #2 before it becomes symptomatic...
But that's total guess work.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2009 19:13:15 »
I would expect it to be possible to catch a second cold but it'd be  slightly less likely to make you ill than catching the same cold if not already infected with the first since if the immune system is already fired up to generate lots of antibodies in a search for something that will attack cold #1 it's more likely to catch and see off cold #2 before it becomes symptomatic...
But that's total guess work.

Thanks Rosy. I gather the immune system would fail miserabley to help me feel better from either cold else we'd have an inbuilt cure eh ?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 23/02/2009 08:02:18 »
I can confirm that it is possible to sport more than one cold at once!

At the hospital we've recently set up a PCR diagnostic system to screen patient samples for the most common viral respiratory pathogens, including flu, paraflu, adenovirus, RSV, metapneumovirus, rhinovirus and coronaviruses.

Patients frequently present with more than one simultaneous viral infection. In fact a pattern we've noticed is that amongst wheezy babies, those with the worst symptoms are often co-infected with RSV and metapneumovirus, whilst those with less severe symptoms have just one of the agents.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 23/02/2009 08:02:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums