The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could two people with surface wounds end up becoming accidentally conjoined?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
When I was a teenager I was very spotty and I had an even spottier girlfriend. One night we cuddled up together and went to sleep. In the morning two of our spots had scabbed together and joined us. We had to peel ourselves apart! So my question is this:

If we both had compatible tissue and blood types, and given enough time, would it be theoretically possible for the two us us to have healed to each other? If the wounds were big enough could two people lying together end up becoming fully grafted in much the same way that hybrid trees are artificially grafted together? Might their blood vessels and nervous tissue becoming integrated?

In short could two people with surface wounds become accidentally conjoined?

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
This is a very interesting question. I am very curious what the answer may be. If no one answers it - maybe no one knows. That would be even more interesting.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
I presume our bodies would have some sort of memory when it comes to healing preventing it.

But as my presumptions are often wrong who knows
« Last Edit: 21/02/2009 00:55:19 by ukmicky »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It never ceases to amaze me how you come up with such good questions Mr. Chapman :)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Also when I was a teenager I remember reading something about Deep Sea Angler Fish that is relevent here. It seems so incredible that I am now beginning to wonder if it is bo**ocks - but I certainly believed it at the time.

Apparently male deep sea angler fish are very much smaller that female ones. When he fancies a bit of jiggy jiggy he finds a female and holds on tightly using modified fins which include hooks. And he stays there. Forever. Eventually their skins begin to 'merge' and their circulatory systems combine. She grows layers of skin over the top of him and he sinks into her, eventually becoming little more than an organ within her. She becomes something approaching a hermaphrodite and no longer needs external sex. One female can include several males. This sounds a little bit like my ex-wife who, it must be said, looked a bit like a deep sea angler fish and often had the same fishy smell.

Has anybody else heard of this freakish thing (the fish, not my ex-wife)? I wonder how they overcome problems with matching tissue types and such stuff.

As a prize, if anyone manages to find confirmation of this, I'll post a naked picture of my ex-wife on this thread.
« Last Edit: 23/02/2009 10:14:43 by John Chapman »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
JC: I saw this on one of David Attenborough's programmes, er, Blue Planet I think. The male becomes permanently attached, and acts as a continual sperm donor. Since the male and females don't meet up too often, she wants to literally keep hold of him.

I have an ex-wife of my own, so please don't feel the need to share yours!

program script:

"....while angler fish use giant flashing lures on their heads to attract their prey. Female angler fish also use their lures to hook a male. Just one tenth the size of their partner, a male completely fuses itself on to the female's body, becoming little more than an attached bag of sperm."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programmes/tv/blueplanet/programme2.shtml
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 10:04:29 by dentstudent »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think this could only work with identical twins  because otherwise tissure rejection would set in.

Offline Im a Geek on the Edge

• View Profile

As a prize, if anyone manages to find confirmation of this, I'll post a picture of my ex-wife on this thread.

Me me me me me. Please sir, I can confirm it.

Quote from: wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_sea_angler

Males are free swimming when young but before they mature these small fishes (about a tenth the size of the female) attach themselves permanently to the hind body of the female and become parasitic. Their blood supply becomes continuous with that of the female and most of the internal organs degenerate: they become simply appendages to supply sperm when required.

Can I have my prize now?

I want to see a picture of your ex-wife.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Don't be too eager!

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
OK. If I can figure out how to do it (thanks for the tips on picture posting Chem4me) I'll post a picture of my ex-wife with no clothes on. But I warn you, it's not pretty.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
I told you she looks like an angler fish!

Even with lipstick on she's scary.
« Last Edit: 23/02/2009 10:16:24 by John Chapman »

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
So has anybody got any idea how these angler fish overcome the tissue rejection problems usually associated with grafting non-matching tissue types?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
since skin grafting works I suspect that it *could* happen... but not by accident.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums