The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does industry contribute to water pollution?  (Read 13743 times)

Offline harmonsmith

• First timers
    • View Profile
How does industry contribute to water pollution?
« on: 20/02/2009 11:04:19 »
Water pollution is the contamination of water bodies such as lakes, rivers, oceans, and groundwater caused by human activities, which can be harmful to organisms and plants that live in these water bodies.
In the United States industry is the greatest source of pollution, accounting for more than half the volume of all water pollution and for the most deadly pollutants. Some 370,000 manufacturing facilities use huge quantities of freshwater to carry away wastes of many kinds. The waste-bearing water, or effluent, is discharged into streams, lakes, or oceans, which in turn disperse the polluting substances. In its National Water Quality Inventory, reported to Congress in 1996, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency concluded that approximately 40% of the nation's surveyed lakes, rivers, and estuaries were too polluted for such basic uses as drinking supply, fishing, and swimming. The pollutants include grit, asbestos, phosphates and nitrates, mercury, lead, caustic soda and other sodium compounds, sulfur and sulfuric acid, oils, and petrochemicals.
I made this Thread to increase knowledge about water pollution such as industrial water pollution and to share thoughts about how to prevent it.
« Last Edit: 23/02/2009 08:03:40 by chris »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How does industry contribute to water pollution?
« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2009 11:09:40 »
What are your thoughts on how we can prevent water pollution harmonsmith?

Offline harmonsmith

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How does industry contribute to water pollution?
« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2009 04:40:21 »
I have some ideas. I think the biggest source of water pollution is Industries. Who are releasing large amount of hazardous waste into our water resources. In order to do proper treatment of this waste water consultant can be very useful. About the waste that are producing through our daily usage. I think ordinary peoples and not a selfish as our bureaucrats. We can control it by spreading knowledge about it. Agriculture pollution is also a major problem. By using proper methods we can control it. Imagine a world for our future generations if it continues. I agree things are better in USA or other European countries but In Asian countries it is worst and since countries is in this world we should also consider them. We are the one who are responsible for destroying our world and we have to make it better.

Interesting sites on Water pollution
newbielink:http://www.greenstudentu.com/pollution.aspx [nonactive]

newbielink:http://www.water-pollution.org.uk/ [nonactive]

« Last Edit: 10/07/2009 08:31:15 by neilep »

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/02/2009 11:39:01 »
Most industrial effluent can be treated and waters cleaned up to a very high standard.  Unfortunately for industry this costs.  Unless there are rules and regulations from government that require treatment, no industry is going to do something that increases costs voluntarily as it will make them less competitive.  There is a trade off between unfettered economic growth and environmnental regulation.

Agricultural run off is slightly different - good practice can make a very big difference, e.g. checking the weather forecast to make sure it is not going to rain just after fertiliser has been applied.  Using suitable sized machinery and contour ploughing etc.

This issue is one aspect of the "tragedy of the commons"  where a "common" resource - water - is used  without consideration of others.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 23/02/2009 11:39:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums