The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to pass ones viruses on to our pets? (dogs..in particular!)  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
My Dog has become sick.. I spent the last few weeks in bed posting from my phone as I was two sick to get up... That's neither here nor there but Now my Dog is sick.. coughing sneezing sputtering shaking his ears and choking on yuck..
He really does not look or feel good.. The vet is getting called if Rob cannot get him in.. Our regular vet is a mobile vet.. She takes great care of the animals... and she comes with her own Hospital on wheels.. A humongo Motor home set up with built in kennels and surgical room supplies and general office space and lounge...

So is that possible to give him a human virus...? He was at my side for weeks all day long like he was taking care of me.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Some viruses, yes, some viruses, no. We can catch cowpox from cows, avian flu from birds (and presumably transmission could in principle work the other way).
So.. depends what you were ill with. If you know what virus you had you could probably look up whether it's a dog virus too.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I don't know exactly what I had.. but It lasted several weeks.. and I am just now getting it out of my lungs.... but I was coughing up phlegm and blood for about 4 weeks.. its finally no longer green and bloody and just icky but almost gone...
I will call Vet tomorrow we could not get in to one today.. so We will have ours stop here...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums