The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gulf War I  (Read 4197 times)

MDriver1981

Gulf War I
« on: 22/02/2009 05:58:16 »
I remember when I was very young (8 or 9), I asked my grandfather about Gulf War I (2 August 1990 28 February 1991); I asked him why we are over there and what happens if Saddam Hussein wins should he enter into a fight with the USA and England- I don't remember his answer specifically- he went into a diatribe about Hawaii Operation and how the Japanese invaded Manchuria in 1931, along with the NAZI Lebensraum. I do remember him talking about the atrocities that the Iraqis were inflicting upon the Kuwaiti populace.  I was 8 or 9 and I became obsessed with Saddam.  I was scared that he was still be alive, ready to attack the United States and Great Britain.  We let him live for all those years.

The pictures below are of my grandfather Sgt. Donald Kompf, with the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. 

In December of 2003, when Saddam Hussein was captured I was very very happy, while recovering from a violent hangover. 

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2009 10:08:10 »
From what I have been able to glean it was a popular misconception in the USA that Saddam had the capability to attack your homeland. We in the UK, on the other hand, are not so absurdly paranoid and ignorant of facts.

In addition, our knowledge of geography is far superior. For the benefit of any Americans reading this I should like to point out that countries are not arranged alphabetically, so Iraq is NOT next to Ireland!  :P

P.S. Your grandfather cut quite a dash.

blakestyger

Gulf War I
« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2009 11:57:11 »
That's right - Americans should not confuse Iraq, the country, with Iraq, Texas (pop'n 706).

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #3 on: 22/02/2009 12:14:43 »
That's right - Americans should not confuse Iraq, the country, with Iraq, Texas (pop'n 706).

nor yet with a music centre, which is an ipod, or even a drama set in roman times, which is an iclaudius.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #4 on: 22/02/2009 12:35:40 »

nor yet with a music centre, which is an ipod, or even a drama set in roman times, which is an iclaudius.

:D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #5 on: 22/02/2009 14:59:50 »
it was a popular misconception in the USA that Saddam had the capability to attack your homeland.
 We in the UK, on the other hand, are not so absurdly paranoid and ignorant of facts.

Really ?, do you not recall the "September Dossier": 45minute WMDs in Gulf War II.

I note Tony has since converted to Catholicism, where of course he can be absolved of sin in the confessional,
(gonna require a lot of "Hail Mary"s.)
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 15:03:09 by RD »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #6 on: 22/02/2009 15:07:23 »
Your grandfather looks worryingly like my Dad. Did he ever come to the North of England?

MDriver1981

Gulf War I
« Reply #7 on: 22/02/2009 18:37:23 »
Not that I know of.  My grandfather has been dead for many years. 

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #8 on: 22/02/2009 19:20:30 »
it was a popular misconception in the USA that Saddam had the capability to attack your homeland.
 We in the UK, on the other hand, are not so absurdly paranoid and ignorant of facts.

Really ?, do you not recall the "September Dossier": 45minute WMDs in Gulf War II.

I note Tony has since converted to Catholicism, where of course he can be absolved of sin in the confessional,
Sure, I remember the dodgy dossier, but I never believed it and I'm not sure how many people did.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #9 on: 22/02/2009 19:39:17 »

I didn't say we don't at times choose to blatantly ignore facts, just that we don't believe them.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #10 on: 22/02/2009 20:05:40 »
The Gulf war mark 2 stank from start to finish. I could never forgive Tony Blair for being part of it. He had been a hero to me before that.

MDriver1981

Gulf War I
« Reply #11 on: 22/02/2009 21:01:31 »
"P.S. Your grandfather cut quite a dash." - Doctorbeaver

I will never understand British lingo.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #12 on: 22/02/2009 22:11:51 »
It means he was very handsome.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #13 on: 23/02/2009 00:28:01 »

According to the US Census Bureau, There is no Iraq, Texas.

Should you be able to prove otherwise, I shall withdraw the objection.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #14 on: 23/02/2009 00:34:19 »

He looks even better now ...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Gulf War I
« Reply #15 on: 23/02/2009 02:09:42 »

And very smart in his uniform

The Naked Scientists Forum

Gulf War I
« Reply #15 on: 23/02/2009 02:09:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums