The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What would a scientist want to know about a career in medical writing?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Hi all,

I've been asked to go back to my old uni and give a talk at the school of biological sciences careers day for PhD students about what I do, and how to get in to it.

Basically, I'm a medical writer - i write pretty much anything a pharma company would like written in order to educate and promote doctors, nurses, sales teams, patients or the general public about their disease area and/or drugs.

Could I please ask you to consider what kind of information you would like to hear, if you were just finishing a PhD and hadn't yet decided what career path you wanted to follow? What questions would you ask?

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
As a PhD student, things I want to know about jobs I'm thinking of going into include:
- am I qualified to do it?
- is it interesting?
- how many people do you work with?
- what would you do in a typical week? how much time would you spend at your desk/in meetings/travelling to meet clients...?
- what are the employment terms? (employed, freelance..)
- is there one major employer or lots?
- what does a typical career path look like?
- does it pay well? OK?
- how much travelling is involved?
- how geographically limited is it? (are all the jobs in London?)
- do employers typically have family friendly policies?

Not sure what else, but those are the ones that spring to mind..

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Thanks, thats really helpful! I hadn't actually thought of several of those points, so I'll definately cover those topics off.

Cheers  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums