The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you catch foot odour?  (Read 15395 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Can you catch foot odour?
« on: 25/02/2009 01:09:06 »
My wife is very petite and has dainty little feet. The only problem is they stink! She likes to warm her feet on mine in bed so what I would like to know is this:

Since the smell is produced by millions of bacteria and since bacteria are so easy to transfer from one surface to another can I 'catch' foot odour from her? Also does foot odour indicate that there are airborne bacteria emanating from smelly feet and does this mean that it is possible to 'catch' foot odour just from being in the same room?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2009 03:18:34 »
I guess you could catch foot odour [xx(][xx(]

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2009 08:29:09 »
My wife is very petite and has dainty little feet. The only problem is they stink! She likes to warm her feet on mine in bed so what I would like to know is this:

Since the smell is produced by millions of bacteria and since bacteria are so easy to transfer from one surface to another can I 'catch' foot odour from her? Also does foot odour indicate that there are airborne bacteria emanating from smelly feet and does this mean that it is possible to 'catch' foot odour just from being in the same room?
She should wear cotton socks and not wear shoes without socks... perhaps try some antifungle cream that helps feet that smell.. usually a fungus problem... they can look just fine but still have a fungus that antifungal for a few weeks can rid of.. Keep feet dry and change socks often to keep feet dry . Don't wear socks twice.. change a couple times a day until she has it under control.. but bear feet in shoes can make foot odor worse!

If she has a slight case of Athletes foot odor the cream will help if she is diligent about using it! Also rubbing her feet with yours can give it to you if you pick up her fungus.. from a bathmat or shoes or her dainty little feet etc...

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/02/2009 19:16:45 »
The bacteria are only half the story; the balance of the different components in the sweat is the other half.
It's perfectly possible that your feet and your wife's have much the same varieties of bacteria but they are, in effect, eating a different diet so their by-products will be different.

It's not the weather for sandals at the moment which is a pity because fresh air will help.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2009 00:22:22 »
Thanks guys. What about the idea that the bacteria might be airborne, using the smell as some kind of vector, or at least travel buddy? Any thoughts?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/02/2009 02:59:43 »
I am no Scientist or Doctor so this is only my opinion. I think if she were to be using  a ped egg or some similar foot scraping device to smooth the calouses etc then perhaps the bacteria could become airbourne in the fine powder of dead skin shed from the foot after sanding..etc... then it could possibly be inhaled ..I think... and shared towels used o feet can spread bacteria.. but the odor itself carring the bacteria..I really doubt.. but perhaps someone with better knowledge could tell us.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/02/2009 08:09:39 »
But the fungus will release spores that you can certainly breath in!!  [xx(][xx(]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/02/2009 08:50:36 »
You think??? Kinda like a mushroom fungus??? the certainly do... I really don't know....you think foe real? Lol..
Where is our fungus expert?

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/02/2009 09:50:45 »
Thanks guys. What about the idea that the bacteria might be airborne, using the smell as some kind of vector, or at least travel buddy? Any thoughts?
I think the 'smell' molecules will be far smaller than a bacterium, and so it's very unlikely that the bacteria will be wafting along with foot odour.  I could be wrong, as many bacteria are airborne...

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/02/2009 18:50:36 »
I think the simple empirical answer might well be if you could catch it, you would have done.

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13/08/2009 09:03:36 »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #12 on: 13/08/2009 09:07:21 »
Pawwww, what a pong!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13/08/2009 10:06:58 »
Purr-fectly captured. The smell just has me feline sick.
« Last Edit: 13/08/2009 10:11:40 by Chemistry4me »

Offline Im a Geek on the Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29/08/2009 17:07:03 »
Actually Ive always wondered. Why is it we have noses that run but feet that smell?  :D

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29/08/2009 19:19:39 »
I say, I say, I say!
My dog's got no nose.
Your dog's got no nose? How does he smell?
Terrible!

And seriously - I agree with Karen. Cotton socks is (are?) the answer.

I used to have a wee bit of a problem with pongy feet, or so my darling wife - always prone to a little exaggeration - claimed.

I was in the habit of wearing socks that were made from certain indestructible man-made fibres - take your pick, there are lots to choose from. I can't remember why I tried this now, but I switched to cotton, as pure as possible (sometimes they are not so easy to find).

Bingo - no more pongy feet! No more complaints from darling wife. The only problem is, they tend to wear out a lot more quickly, but I think it's worth it to maintain matrimonial bliss.

I wondered if something in the manmade fibre was acting as a "pong" catalyst, but maybe it's just that the cotton wicks the moisture away faster. My feet are never cold. Some might call them sweaty, but I think they are perfectly normal, and, actually rather attractive. I'll put up pix later.

BTW, you know those fringy leather things cowboys wear on their jacket sleeves and backs? (I think bikers have them too.) I always thought they were purely decorative and that the cowboys that wore them were not afraid to get in touch with their inner self, as it were. Just shows you how wrong you can be. The fringy things are there to evaporate moisture so their jackets dry off much more quickly when the cowboys are out riding the range doing their cowboy stuff. Whatd'ya know? 

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30/08/2009 03:16:06 »
As promised

Attractive Geezer foot
« Last Edit: 30/08/2009 03:28:01 by Geezer »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30/08/2009 04:48:49 »
Whoa! You've got three hairs on your hallux!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30/08/2009 06:26:41 »
Oh dear. Doesn't everybody?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 30/08/2009 06:26:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums