The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Practical Jokes  (Read 84071 times)

Offline Professor Gaarder

• My only love is chemistry-it doesn't yell at you!
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #100 on: 28/02/2008 01:10:18 »
just make sure it's external, you don't want their stuff catching fire if it does short.

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #101 on: 28/02/2008 02:32:10 »
in that case i will just thick to the doorknob and the cattle prod....i may be a bit of a pyro but i dont want to have to pay for burnt books and what not

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #102 on: 28/02/2008 19:42:31 »
Do you all understand that,as soon as you connect it up, the wires willoverheat and fail? If the "victim" is there at the time he will see you setting it up; if he's not then he may notice the smell of smoke but there won't be any other effect on him.
Since it won't work with a doorknob it shouldn't suprise you to learn that it also won't work with a locker door or a bit of wire.

Really, learn something about electricity.

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #103 on: 01/03/2008 18:21:55 »
yeah. you'd have to have some sort of touch-sensitive activator to release energy from the battery into the wire. and that would just get expensive.

If you want to do this so much, just get a real joy buzzer and tape it to the bottom of the doorknob.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #104 on: 01/03/2008 20:43:19 »
"yeah. you'd have to have some sort of touch-sensitive activator to release energy from the battery into the wire. and that would just get expensive."

Even then you wouldn't get any current through the victim.

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #105 on: 02/03/2008 00:23:06 »
very true.

once again, just use a real joy buzzer so you don't burn their fingerprints off.

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #106 on: 02/03/2008 00:26:11 »
but I suppose it's better than taking a friends orange at lunch and sticking the zinc and copper diodes in it like that "Charging an iPod with an orange" NakedScientists experiment.

Offline Anarchistkid

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #107 on: 03/03/2008 02:27:52 »
Nitrogen Triiodide jst lay it when its wet

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #108 on: 05/03/2008 00:27:08 »
what does that do????????

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #109 on: 07/03/2008 23:03:45 »
oh oh

DON'T TELL HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #110 on: 08/03/2008 02:18:30 »
If he's too dumb to find this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_triiodide
then I don't see him making use of the information.
If he is bright enough to look on wiki then I hope he has the brains to realise that this is a foolish game to play. If not then I don't see it as my problem that his education has missed out "Don't play with explosives- they might kill you".

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #111 on: 11/03/2008 00:59:24 »
Keep in mind that wikipedia is not always accurate ...... anyone can go in there and change infomation, why do you think I'm asking these questions on a SCIENCE FORUM! and I know not to play around with explosives from experience, I may be young but I'm not as dumb as I look.  I'm a guy, I'm 14 and curious.....that's why I ask questions!  I didn't expect to be called dumb for asking them!

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #112 on: 13/04/2008 18:12:08 »
Asking the questions is not important...trying to find an answer is.  Asking other people for the answer is actually less useful than doing some research on your own and figuring it out for yourself.  You learn something that way, as opposed to have the answer simply given to you.  It's harder that way but if you're really after learning something new and not just spouting "I'm a kid and I ask why" because you've been told that's what kids do then doing research yourself is the way to go.  If you have to ask anyone anything it should be to explain some of your research to you because you can't quite understand it...not to tell you the answer.

lyner

Practical Jokes
« Reply #113 on: 14/07/2008 14:02:45 »
not just spouting "I'm a kid and I ask why" because you've been told that's what kids do
You're so right. Asking and inquiring need to be followed up by thinking and reasoning.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #114 on: 14/07/2008 21:36:48 »
BUT even if he did try to find the answer himself, wouldn't it be wise to check the information that he found with, say, a group of people who have studied science? or at least enjoy it? i think that's pretty smart. and it's a little harsh to call someone dumb for asking a question. so act like a grown up and be nice!

Offline Salamander

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Resume
Practical Jokes
« Reply #115 on: 17/07/2008 02:01:18 »
When I was in grade school, probably about age 10 and 45 years ago, water fountains were designed such that there was a spoon-like metal hood protecting the spigot from someone getting their lips directly on the plumbing where the water came out. Futhermore there was a bent piece of metal with a hole in it just above the pipe where the water came out. Once in  a while someone would take a penny (U.S.) and place it between the water spigot and the bent piece of metal with the hole in it through which the water would otherwise shoot in an arc to land on or near the drain. This only took a second or less to accomplish, so that even if the next person in line (sorry, queue for you in the UK), were standing quite close behind the one fitting the penny in place, they would harldy notice it. The result was that, on turning the lever to get the cold refreshment, the water hit the penny from beneath and slam it against the hole in the piece of metal, forcing it flow, quite forcefully, in a radial pattern along the bottom of the penny, spraying everything for at least a foot around. Many shirts were made this way. It was a lot of fun to watch because most people would stare in disbelief for a split second before reacting. Totally harmless...unless of course, you are the perpetrator and get caught by the
victim.

Another gag I like is to Super-glue a quarter to the middle of the floor in a busy hallway and watch the victim bend over to retrieve it. Sometimes they are so confident of picking it up that they lose balance and make a most amusing recovery. You can take bets on how many times they will try before giving up, or how many other pedestrians they will bowl over or cause to fall in the act. Usually harmless, though the same caveat as above applies.

Let me know if want more!

Offline easywrite

• First timers
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #116 on: 17/04/2009 13:01:10 »
I always liked the stapler in the jelly gag. Very simple certainly easier than the jelly in the stapler. Theres a guide to doing it here. newbielink:http://101things4.blogspot.com/2009/04/practical-joke-stapler-in-jelly.html [nonactive]

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #117 on: 17/04/2009 15:04:18 »
I always liked the stapler in the jelly gag. Very simple certainly easier than the jelly in the stapler. Theres a guide to doing it here. http://101things4.blogspot.com/2009/04/practical-joke-stapler-in-jelly.html
Sorry, but I have some difficulty with the language, can you explain me better what is a jelly bowl and what the joke is about?
Thanks.
lightarrow

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #118 on: 18/04/2009 01:18:52 »
It's not even funnny, it's a prank that doesn't work. It's been done too many times. It's just like putting cling film over the seat of the toilet, or someones car! After you do this you ask, where is the stapler?  ::)

Offline easywrite

• First timers
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #119 on: 19/04/2009 22:04:33 »
I think it can work, that's why its been done so many times. Whats the cling film in someones car gag?

P.S. LightArrow. A Jelly Bowl is a glass mixing bowl.
« Last Edit: 19/04/2009 23:04:01 by easywrite »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #120 on: 20/04/2009 01:06:39 »
Whats the cling film in someones car gag?
I hope I don't regret doing this: http://hubpages.com/hub/My-Favourite-Practical-Joke-Stories

Offline Scuba89

• First timers
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #121 on: 20/04/2009 10:53:53 »
HOME-MADE STINKING BOMB.

IRON SULPHIDE MIXED WITH HYDROCHLORIC ACID!
=HYDROGEN SULPHIDE
YOU GET A ROTTEN EGG SMELL.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #122 on: 20/04/2009 11:18:47 »
Where are you going to get the 'homemade' ingredients from?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #123 on: 20/04/2009 14:22:17 »
HOME-MADE STINKING BOMB.

IRON SULPHIDE MIXED WITH HYDROCHLORIC ACID!
=HYDROGEN SULPHIDE
YOU GET A ROTTEN EGG SMELL.
Do you want to kill people?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #124 on: 20/04/2009 22:27:49 »
Never trust a man who can't use the shift key properly.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Practical Jokes
« Reply #124 on: 20/04/2009 22:27:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums