The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Practical Jokes  (Read 62308 times)

Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
Re: Practical Jokes
« Reply #75 on: 06/06/2006 21:55:18 »
Sorry, it is a catalized reaction.  I talked to my chemistry teacher and he gave me the reaction:

NaI + 2H2O2 --> NaI + 2H2O + O2

Not sure how much NaI you would use because it is a catalyst.  Probably the more is better because there would be more molecules to react with the peroxide and it would run faster.

"His mind is the ultimate weapon!"-MacGyver television series

Nick Meyer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 07/06/2006 17:20:06 »
You guys want a good toilet prank? there isnt much to this one but what you do is take those firework poppers... those little sacks of rocks that you give to kids at halloween and they pop when thrown on the ground??? or you could use that nitrogen triiodide stuff. but anyway place it under the toilet seats (the ones you change for wizzes and dumps) and when the target sits down!?!?!? Lets just say snap crackle and pop got renamed to snap crackle and OH @*#&!:D;)8D

Nick

Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #77 on: 04/08/2006 01:18:41 »
I remember at school the teacher did an experiment with caesium behind protective glass. She placed the ceasium in a glass container about 30 cm wide and half full with water. The caesium was only about 2 cm squared and it exploded and shattered the container. It was awesome lol. Back then I always imagined getting a huge chunk and tossing it in a lake to see what would happen. Probably get done for polluting the lake or something.

moonfire

• Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #78 on: 04/08/2006 02:13:24 »
Too funny...LOL

"Lo" Loretta

Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #79 on: 07/08/2006 14:37:01 »
They where funny days.

moonfire

• Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #80 on: 07/08/2006 15:51:03 »
i want to do that to someone so bad...lol

"Lo" Loretta

lightarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 09/08/2006 11:38:55 »
A joke: mix very well equal amounts of aluminium fine powder and iodine powder (no more than a few grams); put a little piece of very cold ice on it (so that it doesn't melt immediately). When the ice starts melting, the water reacts with the mix, producing a little flame and violet fumes of iodine and aluminium triiodide. Be careful not to breath those fumes!

Al + 3I = AlI3

By the way: those equations with H2O2 and NaI are wrong. This is what happens:
(1) H2O2 + 2NaI = 2Na+ + I2 + 2OH-
(2) H2O2 = H2O + 1/2 O2
Probably, (if pH is >7) there is also the formation of some IO3-:
3I2 + 6OH- = IO3- + 5I- + 3H2O

You can easily see the iodine (I2) produced from the reaction, because the solution becomes brown.
« Last Edit: 09/08/2006 11:58:48 by lightarrow »

miles

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 17/08/2006 13:38:37 »
you will need:
a key to the nearest toilet
another key that isnt the same shape
a tub of laxitives
a victim
a cup of coffee/tea/any drink

1.shout help. the victim should go to see what the noise is whilst thier gone puor the tub of laxitives into the victims drink then run the other way note:the victim once drunk his drink will feel the need to desperatly go to the toilet they will grab the wrong key and will struggle to open the bathroom door they will poo their pants a lot this is very funny

lightarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 24/08/2006 16:27:07 »
another little joke with things quite easy to find: Zinc powder and sulfur powder.
Mix well ~ equal parts in volume of the two, then ignite the mix with a hot flame, like the one of a pen flame. It burns with a yellow-green flame, producing a lot of white fumes.

To ignite the mixture you could also use KNO3/Sugar about 50/50 in weight, very well mixed (the sugar must be ground to fine powder; all powders must be dry).
« Last Edit: 24/08/2006 16:28:53 by lightarrow »

weed4me

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 25/08/2006 22:56:42 »
i know this isnt really a chemically related prank but nevertheless i have always found it funny to wait until a christmas that snows properly (we dont have many in the UK) and get a friend to build u inside a snowman on someones porch. not only does it scare the **** out of them that a snowmans on their porch but when u jump out yellin something it usually sets of the chemical reaction in their panties. oh yeah make sure u get ur friend to knock. hypothermias a bitch.

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is."

lightarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 02/09/2006 19:14:08 »
Another little joke with (quite) simple substances:

Put some copper nitrate (Cu(NO3)2) in a piece of aluminum foil (better if more layers), with some table salt (NaCl) and a bit of water.
Wrap the foil immediately and go away of it.

It will produce reddish-brown fumes (NO2) and hot-liquid squirts.
Be careful!
Don't breath those fumes!

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #86 on: 26/02/2008 02:08:05 »
this is super funny...well so Ive heard

what you need is

a bathroom with a metal doorhandle
some uninsulated wire
a car battery
and some electric tape

OK open the door so you so u don't have 2 touch the handle
on the inside of the bathroom take out your car battery
and tape a length of wire to the negate and positive poles on the battery
take the positive wire and the negative wire and tape them to the door knob one wire at each end
close the door
and in THEORY it will shock the living daylights out of someone. depending on the battery... a car battery will be the best...Ive never done this so i don't know if it will work

whats its supposed to do is complete the circut charging the door knob. and turning it into the joybuzzer on steroids. either it will shock you or the battery will blow up and may blow off the door. either way it should be a blast

Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #87 on: 26/02/2008 19:46:16 »
That won't work. You just short circuit the battery through the door handle. The most likely outcome is that you will burn out the wires.

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #88 on: 26/02/2008 21:33:22 »
darn....well then is there any way i can make a door handle shock someone without shorting the battery and frying the wires

Carolyn

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #89 on: 26/02/2008 23:33:34 »
darn....well then is there any way i can make a door handle shock someone without shorting the battery and frying the wires

Surely it's your father and NOT your wonderful, loving mother you want to shock!

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #90 on: 27/02/2008 00:25:21 »
neither of you

Professor Gaarder

• My only love is chemistry-it doesn't yell at you!
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #91 on: 27/02/2008 00:59:33 »
oh, gawd.

the reason you would short the car battery is because you're trying to pass too powerful of a current through too weak of a wire.

also, it would be dangerous to try, you could possibly hurt the person terribly and as they said earlier, practical jokes are meant to be . . . anything but mean. if the victim isn't laughing after the prank, it wasn't a good idea . . .

just use a smaller battery, that would be easier to conceal.

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #92 on: 27/02/2008 02:32:38 »
like what. a AAA could be too small to really notice and AA would more than likely have the same effect as static electricity I'm assuming the largest i can go without frying the wires is a D size. plus it would be kinda suspicious if you walk into a school bathroom with a backpack... and i can carry a D size battery, around 3 feet of wire and a roll of electric tape on my person and nobody not even know its there

Carolyn

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #93 on: 27/02/2008 03:15:16 »
like what. a AAA could be too small to really notice and AA would more than likely have the same effect as static electricity I'm assuming the largest i can go without frying the wires is a D size. plus it would be kinda suspicious if you walk into a school bathroom with a backpack... and i can carry a D size battery, around 3 feet of wire and a roll of electric tape on my person and nobody not even know its there

:(!BEHAVE!

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #94 on: 27/02/2008 03:17:25 »
i can't do it in the new school....they will have cameras in every corner of the halls, they will know if i pulled off something like this.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2008 03:19:22 by i am bored »

Professor Gaarder

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #95 on: 27/02/2008 03:25:41 »
well, I don't want to give you any bad ideas ;b but if you want it to succeed, get a lithium AA. More energy, same size. It's worth the money.

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #96 on: 27/02/2008 12:18:10 »
sounds good

Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #97 on: 27/02/2008 19:20:09 »
If you really want to do this then the first thing you need to do is learn some of the basic science of electric circuits.

i am bored

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #98 on: 28/02/2008 00:15:05 »
ok....and im assuming if i can do this with an doorknob i can also do it to an ....locker door....or a metal rod...kinda like a cattle prod

Professor Gaarder

• View Profile
Practical Jokes
« Reply #99 on: 28/02/2008 01:09:35 »
well, to complete your objective, yes, you would need knowledge of electrical science. however, if you just want to see something happen, watching a wire short could be just as surprising to the victim.

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines