The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is garlic toxic when stored in oilve oil?  (Read 10271 times)

Offline Nicci

• View Profile
Is garlic toxic when stored in oilve oil?
« on: 25/02/2009 11:25:34 »
I have been storing garlic in olive oil at room temperature for years. How much truth is there to this? "Garlic will support the growth and subsequent toxin production of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum when given the right conditions. Do not store garlic in oil at room temperature. Garlic-in-oil mixtures stored at room temperature provide perfect conditions for producing botulism toxin (low acidity, no free oxygen in the oil, and warm temperatures). The same hazard exists for roasted garlic stored in oil. At least three outbreaks of botulism associated with garlic-in-oil mixtures have been reported in North America.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2009 13:26:17 »
I do a lot of flavoured oils, and use garlic a lot for this kind of thing. I have also heard of this, but assumed that if you drop the garlic into boiling water for a few seconds to kill bacteria before putting it into the oil, then this would remove any potential problem. The alternative is to heat the oil up and then put in the garlic, which should have the same effect. I also do this for herbs, such as rosemary.

So, how are mass-produced oils treated to avoid this possibility?

I would also say that 3 events in the entire of North America is perhaps not something to be too worried about. There are probably as many outbreaks through excessive gunk around the top of a tomato ketchup bottle!

Offline Nicci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2009 13:42:15 »
Good point - especially about the gunk!

blakestyger

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2009 17:33:37 »
I read recently that garlic stored in olive oil should always be acidified by putting it in white vinegar for 24 hours beforehand.

Offline Phil1907

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/03/2009 10:55:52 »
The bug grows in water in the "gunk" you mention.  Boiling won't help - this s a spore producing microbe - but acidification will (pH <5).  Adding a little glycerine or propylene glycol would help by reducing available water.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/03/2009 11:38:06 »
Uh Oh !

I do flavoured oils too and love using garlic in olive oil.

I had no idea of prepping it before hand but googling recipes seems to indicate more of a cooking process http://www.google.com/search?q=recipe%20garlic%20oil

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 03/03/2009 11:38:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums