The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is running in the cold winter weather bad for you?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I've ran all fall, winter, and the start of spring (well its been spring like weather). I've ran on lots of snowy, icy, cold days. Temperatues 10-40 degrees. Ran about 3 times a week and 2-5 miles each time. I've been told by some people that that isn't good for my lungs since there is less 02 in the air because its thinner. I never pushed myself to hard. I always thought that if you could get your lungs to function with less 02 you'd be better off because when its warms up you'd be able to move that much air.

So, I guess if I'm asking. Does it hurt your lungs to run in cold air? How does it hurt them? or is it actually good to run in cold weather?

Thanks

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is running in the cold winter weather bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: 28/02/2009 04:49:37 »
IS COLD-WEATHER RUNNING BAD FOR YOU?

Cold Weather Running Safety Tips.

The general consensus after reading those two links appears to be that you should be more careful about your external clothing/gear rather than your internal organs.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/02/2009 04:52:42 »
Lots of endurance athletes do Altitude training and it doesn't seem to hurt them too much :)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2009 13:23:59 »
Ha I love the seoncd last paragraph on the first one.

So, it is possible for your lungs to freeze. Only not while you're alive and running. To stay comfortable in frigid weather, wear a microfiber shirt as a first layer, followed by a breathable windbreaker, gloves or mittens, and a hat. Begin by running into the wind, not with it, which will keep you from sweating too much. Sweat is bad in winter, as water robs heat from your body up to 25 times faster than trapped air does

Exactly what I wear. And I really love how it doesn't say anything about covering your legs. Because.. I never do.

Thank you =D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2009 13:23:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length