The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gravity present in other dimensions  (Read 4645 times)

Offline Deanwinfield

• View Profile
Gravity present in other dimensions
« on: 10/05/2005 20:17:43 »
I've recently been looking up string theory and other theories on the internet and one concept i can not get my head round is Gravity being present in other dimensions. I wondered if anyone could help me get my head round it an explain it in a different way possibly?

thank you all!

"There is no gravity, the earth just sucks"

Offline cinnamon_spider

• View Profile
Re: Gravity present in other dimensions
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2005 21:24:58 »
Like your quote. I can't get my head around it either.

... ... The greatest thing you will ever learn is to love and be loved in return ... ...

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2005 07:29:59 »
Find the opposite, vacuum expansion, or whatever name it goes under depending what theorist you ask, equally difficult to fathom, really. Maybe they're two faces of one coin, with one pole being local, near matter, and the other end distributed over the whole place, so the correlation is hard to see. Sometimes you really have to think laterally, with dimensions.

According to Einstein even a lightbeam of sufficient high energy would exert a gravitational field on its surroundings. Maybe there's the answer - energy. Remember mass is just an INCREDIBLE amount of energy locked in the M part of the equation he came up with.

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2005 12:06:37 »
String theory, like quantum mechanics, is not a subject that lends itself to easy explanation. The most successful theories of quantum gravity require more dimensions than we observe. The mathematics does not tell us what to expect about these extra dimensions, except to suggest that they are un-expanded. At some primordial epoch only 4 dimensions expanded to the large size we see, and the others stayed small. We can conjecture this happened when gravity separated from the other forces, but that may just be a tempting target. They have been described as "coiled up", but that suggests they are kept inside four dimensional spacetime as small wads of string in your hand. Hence the name. I can't say if that is accurate or not.

Offline Deanwinfield

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2005 19:35:13 »
thanks for that, makes a little bit more sense. Didn't they see Gravaton's disappearing into what seemed to be an invisable black hole, in a particle accelerator?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/05/2005 02:10:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Deanwinfield

thanks for that, makes a little bit more sense. Didn't they see Gravaton's disappearing into what seemed to be an invisable black hole, in a particle accelerator?

I didn't hear that. I don't know that a graviton has ever been observed.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/05/2005 18:22:38 »
well but it is not easy to say that we have only the for dimensions as mr Einstein had said but what i think is that there used to me some other dimensions too and for gravity what i would like to say is that gravity is also particle in nature.

Offline Sandwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/05/2005 12:17:50 »
Are these additional dimensions 'curled' or not, they may exist in a different spacetime frame, remember that spacetime is predicted (relativity) to be non existent from the point off view of a photon, in that sense we could say that our spacial dimensions are curled up for said photon!

And who knows what that photon is experiencing[?]

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/05/2005 09:50:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by gsmollin

String theory, like quantum mechanics, is not a subject that lends itself to easy explanation. The most successful theories of quantum gravity require more dimensions than we observe.

First view of live superstrings in the ... flesh, or nude noodles, whatever - almost [8D]

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/9/5/7/1

here's the paper btw:

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0505055

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)
« Last Edit: 15/05/2005 09:53:02 by chimera »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 15/05/2005 09:50:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums