The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is the fine structure constant the most fundamental constant?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
In an article I'm reading about measuring the fine structure constant it states:

As a dimensionless number, it is even more fundamental than other constants such as the strength of gravity, the speed of light or e itself.

Why is a dimensionless number more fundamental? (layman's terms if possible, please)
« Last Edit: 01/03/2009 16:23:42 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
The fine structure constant, alpha, has no units of measure, so it is like a ratio. PI is another ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference. It is very much related to the charge amplitude of an electron.

Wikki has a good article on it.

Quote from: Wikki
The fine structure constant is the ratio between the velocity of the electron in the Bohr model of the atom and the speed of light. The square of alpha; is the ratio between the electron rest mass (511 keV) and the Hartree energy (27.2 eV = 2 Ry).
# In the theory of quantum electrodynamics, the fine-structure constant is the coupling constant for the strength of the interaction between electrons and photons. The theory does not predict its value; thus it must be determined experimentally. In fact, it is one of the 20-odd 'external' parameters in the Standard Model of particle physics.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2009 17:16:17 by Vern »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In an article I'm reading about measuring the fine structure constant it states:

As a dimensionless number, it is even more fundamental than other constants such as the strength of gravity, the speed of light or e itself.

Why is a dimensionless number more fundamental? (layman's terms if possible, please)
A dimensionless number is more fundamental because it doesn't depend on hour  specific choice of units: if you use the centimeter instead of the meter, for example, you get a different value of the dimensionful constant.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Thank you for your replies. I understand now. It was mainly what "dimensionless" meant that I wanted clarified.

Offline itisus

• View Profile

Dimensional units are subject to change in relativity, etc.  One constraint on hypotheses is that changes must be coordinated to keep alpha constant.  It's a good sanity check.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Thank you, itisus.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums