The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tragic reaction to prescription drug  (Read 18768 times)

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
Tragic reaction to prescription drug
« on: 01/03/2009 20:36:54 »
Shaun Jones a healthy 14 year old was killed by a doctors prescription for acne 5 days ago.

The doctor has been held blameless by the doctors council.This is a classic case of doctors protecting their own.The medication came with no warnings that it could kill.

It is very strange this was not headline news.He was white,tall,popular and funloving.

Have you noticed when anyone dies nowadays they are always described as popular and fun loving.Why is that?

Another unfortunate reason maybe that he Welsh and the Welsh people suffer discrimination and inbred bigotry from the English.

The medication called sebomin is worth $230 million in annual profit.

This may explain why there was no mainstream media publication and was confined to page 9 in a small paragraph.Clearly warnings had gone out to keep it buried.

Shaun Jones was a healthy rugby player, he was popular and fun loving.

He had his whole life ahead of him.

Yet he killed by a single tablet prescribed by his doctor who never bothered to check for side effects.

One doctor I spoke to said this was nothing and that more then 200000 people are killed every year in America but the drugs are just too profitable and the media and politicians have been bribed by the deep pockets of the pharmaceutical companies.

He said they had been paid $20 billion last year.

You may have noted how the House of Lords peers were involved in a "money to change the law" scandal.

I feel very sorry for the family of Shaun Jones.To have a 14 year old son killed by a single doctors tablet...words fail me.

Mod edit - changed the subject, as it was a defamatory lie
« Last Edit: 01/03/2009 21:20:11 by BenV »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic reaction to prescription drug
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2009 20:40:49 »
Welsh people suffer discrimination and inbred bigotry from the English.

Can you explain "inbred bigotry", please.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2009 20:54:29 »
Can you provide a single shred of evidence for this offensive tirade?  Please do so or this thread will be removed.

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2009 20:57:40 »
Can you provide a single shred of evidence for this offensive tirade?  Please do so or this thread will be removed.

You think lamenting a young boys death due to a doctors carelessness is offensive?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article5803223.ece

David Byers

A fit and healthy 14-year-old rugby player died hours after taking an acne treatment which his mother claimed came with no safety leaflet, an inquest heard today.

Shaun Jones, described as an exceptionally popular student, saw his doctor about spots on his back and shoulders after learning that his friends had been given medication to deal with similar problems.

The 6ft schoolboy of Pontypridd, South Wales, was sold a drug called Sebomin
« Last Edit: 01/03/2009 21:30:23 by NobodySavedMe »

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2009 21:14:38 »
Thanks - I had also sought it out for you.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090225/tuk-teen-dies-after-taking-acne-pills-dba1618.html

There's a news story that puts a very different angle on it than you decided to do.  He suffered an acute reaction to a commonly prescribed drug, a bit like an allergy.  As he had never taken the drug before, how could anyone have known that he would react like this?  Should everyone be allergy tested prior to taking any common substance?  Thousands of others take these drugs without this reaction.

It's nonsense to imply that the doctor should be punished - should parents be punished when they first discover their child has a peanut allergy?  What if it leads to the child's death?  By your logic, the parents would be to blame.

And what has him being Welsh got to do with it?  This was a tradgedy, pure and simple, yet you have to bring xenophobia into it?

Shaun Jones a healthy 14 year old was killed by a doctors prescription for acne 5 days ago.

No, he wasn't.  He died as a result of an unfortunate reaction to a very common prescription medication.

The doctor has been held blameless by the doctors council.This is a classic case of doctors protecting their own.

On account of him doing nothing wrong.

The medication came with no warnings that it could kill.

This particular packet came with no warnings leaflet - it certainly should have, but that has nothing to do with the doctor who prescribed it, and the parent could have questioned it at that point.  As it happens, a list of the known side effects wouldn't have made ant difference.

Another unfortunate reason maybe that he Welsh and the Welsh people suffer discrimination and inbred bigotry from the English.

Offensive nonsense.

The medication called sebomin is worth $230 million in annual profit.

This may explain why there was no mainstream media publication and was confined to page 9 in a small paragraph.Clearly warnings had gone out to keep it buried.

Paranoid delusional nonsense.

Shaun Jones was a healthy rugby player, he was popular and fun loving.

He had his whole life ahead of him.

So?  Tragic things happen to all sorts of people.

Yet he killed by a single tablet prescribed by his doctor who never bothered to check for side effects.

How do you know?  Were you there at his consultation?  Have you thoroughly interviewed the doctor involved?  Is your paranoid delusion about pharma companies being evil leading you to conlude things that are not, in fact, true?

One doctor I spoke to said this was nothing and that more then 200000 people are killed every year in America but the drugs are just too profitable and the media and politicians have been bribed by the deep pockets of the pharmaceutical companies.

He said they had been paid $20 billion last year.

Evidence please.

You may have noted how the House of Lords peers were involved in a "money to change the law" scandal.

Relevance please.

I feel very sorry for the family of Shaun Jones.To have a 14 year old son killed by a single doctors tablet...words fail me.

Finally, something we can agree on.  I too feel sorry for the family in this tragic situation.  I don't, however, seek to blame anyone.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2009 21:18:44 by BenV »

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2009 21:18:19 »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article5803223.ece

David Byers

A fit and healthy 14-year-old rugby player died hours after taking an acne treatment which his mother claimed came with no safety leaflet, an inquest heard today.

Shaun Jones, described as an exceptionally popular student, saw his doctor about spots on his back and shoulders after learning that his friends had been given medication to deal with similar problems.

The 6ft schoolboy of Pontypridd, South Wales, was sold a drug called Sebomin

You do realise the story you just linked bears little resemblance to your interpretation, don't you?  It quite clearly states that the doctor did discuss the side effects with him.  It was amiss of the pharmacist to not contact the doctor, it was amiss of someone not to include the fact sheet.

Personally, I don't take tablets unless I have read through the contra-indications first.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2009 21:29:13 »
I'm still wondering about inbred bigotry. It's a novel concept.

I'd also like to know where the notion that Welsh people are discriminated against by the Engllish comes from. If anything it's the other way around. English people in Wales are often subjected to abuse & violence. And who remembers English people having their homes in Wales blown up by Welsh nationallists?

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2009 21:34:48 »
I'm still wondering about inbred bigotry. It's a novel concept.

I'd also like to know where the notion that Welsh people are discriminated against by the Engllish comes from. If anything it's the other way around. English people in Wales are often subjected to abuse & violence. And who remembers English people having their homes in Wales blown up by Welsh nationallists?

What i am trying to say is that stand up comedians frequently cast aspersions on the character of the Welsh by connecting them to sheep in a
offensive way and this results in a dismissive attitude toward the Welsh making them seem less important.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/03/2009 21:43:12 »
You think lamenting a young boys death due to a doctors carelessness is offensive?

Sorry, I missed this one earlier.  I think spreading defamatory lies about a medical professional is offensive.  I think using a tragic situation as an opportunity to spread your poisonous nonsense about the medical profession is nonsense.  I think launching off on a rant in which you accuse a person of malpractice, manslaughter or murder is offensive.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/03/2009 21:43:58 »
Oh dear. I often comment on people from Norfolk being inbred but that doesn't mean I discriminate against them.

Now stop being a silly sausage (English or German sausage; I don't mind) and try to post something sensible.

lyner

« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2009 21:46:46 »
So, we're not allowed to have a joke about the Welsh but you're allowed to slag off Moslems, as a whole. Where's the consistency in that?
Scientifically speaking, what would happen if the Ottoman Empire re-emerged? 

[MOD EDIT - Please, pretty please, can you phrase your post titles as questions, which is our forum policy. THank you.]

The idea is impossible.

They are primitive and have zero technolological capability.lol was intended.

Arabs pride themselves on having invented the numeral zero 300 years ago and since then have gone on to continue to invent zero since  as they have Islam as albatross around their neck which promises INSHALLAH everything.

Inshallah means:- This means "God Willing".

This translates to let us sit on our collective butts,waiting for handouts from the west whom we hate,and God will give what we want when he decides in his mysterious way to recognize our devotion(TRANSLATION excuse for laziness to him).

This god dependency culture has made the muslim world the most backward and the chances of a ottoman empire is zero.

Think about it.

The Middle East is very socially and technologically backward.They need Americans to operate the complex machines which they don't understand.

They need to have millions of western workers to operate them.

They have been defeated 6 times by a very small country called Isreal.

There is more chance of snow in hell then a Ottoman Empire.

The chances of a ottoman empire is zero.

Exactly zero.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/03/2009 06:14:45 »
About as consistent as the jelly that Ben and Dave made with fresh pinapples.

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/03/2009 09:11:31 »

Sorry, I missed this one earlier.  I think spreading defamatory lies about a medical professional is offensive.  I think using a tragic situation as an opportunity to spread your poisonous nonsense about the medical profession is nonsense.  I think launching off on a rant in which you accuse a person of malpractice, manslaughter or murder is offensive.

Is it defamatory to expose the truth?

Do you deny that 200000 people in the USA die every year as a direct result of side effects from prescription drugs from doctors?

Did you know that the parents of Shaun Jone are going to legal action as a result of this as reported in this mornings news?

Do you deny the need to make doctors and drug companies responsible for their products?

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/03/2009 09:35:58 »

Is it defamatory to expose the truth?

Nope, but it is defamatory to say that a doctor killed a child, when the outcome was entirely unpredictable and certainly not the doctors fault.

Do you deny that 200000 people in the USA die every year as a direct result of side effects from prescription drugs from doctors?

I have no idea how many people die as a result of the side effects of medication, and neither do you.

Did you know that the parents of Shaun Jone are going to legal action as a result of this as reported in this mornings news?
But that wouldn't be against the doctor who prescribed a commonly used drug, would it?  It may be against the packaging company for not including a warnings leaflet, the pharmacist for not checking with the doctor, or the government for not enforcing stricter drug labelling.

In fact, here's a quote for you from Shaun's mother - "The doctor that gave him the tablets is really upset, but we don't blame him. It was just one of those terrible things."

Do you deny the need to make doctors and drug companies responsible for their products?
No, and they are, that's why drugs have to go through such extensive testing and doctors have a council - you may note there is no such council of builders, who can strike you off and stop you from being a builder ever again, nor for accountants, politicians, shopkeepers...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02/03/2009 09:41:27 »
Ben - I don't think there's any point talking to NSM anymore. He/she won't take any notice and will just continue to post ill-informed and prejudiced invective.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02/03/2009 09:46:26 »
He/she clearly has a very biased opinion.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #16 on: 02/03/2009 13:46:31 »
The headline was good. It seems to have been a tragic reaction to a prescription drug.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02/03/2009 16:08:48 »
One doctor I spoke to said

Why would you be talking to doctors when you clearly despise them? They prescribe drugs that are made by big evil pharmacuetical companies afterall.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02/03/2009 19:06:10 »
Isn't it a pity that people are so obsessed with body image that they are prepared to take potentially dangerous drugs to "treat" a perfectly normal aspect of the human condition?

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03/03/2009 10:59:26 »

Why would you be talking to doctors when you clearly despise them? They prescribe drugs that are made by big evil pharmacuetical companies afterall.

The mother only said it was not the doctors fault as he probably blamed "somebody" else.

Once she came to realize the facts ,She has started the legal action.I wish her the best and I HOPE SHE EXPOSES THE HORRIBLE TRUTH.

I do not despise doctors per se.

I despise the fact that most of them have put patient care at the bottom and other interests at the top.

They have become little more than overpaid vending machines and shop fronts for dangerous drug dealers.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03/03/2009 11:25:20 »

The mother only said it was not the doctors fault as he probably blamed "somebody" else.
This isn't true, is it?  You have decided this is what happened, despite not having a clue about it.  How can you expect people to take you seriously when you just make things up?

Once she came to realize the facts ,She has started the legal action.I wish her the best and I HOPE SHE EXPOSES THE HORRIBLE TRUTH.
The horrible truth that this was a tragic accident that could not have been predicted?  Why do you seek to blame someone?

I do not despise doctors per se.

I despise the fact that most of them have put patient care at the bottom and other interests at the top.

They have become little more than overpaid vending machines and shop fronts for dangerous drug dealers.

But this isn't actually true, is it?  It's just your very biased opinion. Firstly, doctors will recommend lifestyle changes before medication, so how does that fit your hypothesis?  Secondly, the drug companies are not "dangerous drug dealers".  These drugs require extensive tests and regulation.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03/03/2009 11:26:31 »
I really like Charlotte Church !

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03/03/2009 11:27:29 »
Isn't it a pity that people are so obsessed with body image that they are prepared to take potentially dangerous drugs to "treat" a perfectly normal aspect of the human condition?
True, though I understand things like acne can have far reaching mental implications, as the associated loss of confidence can lead to social difficulties, and then depression.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03/03/2009 11:27:52 »
Cheers Neil, I think we needed that!

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03/03/2009 11:39:06 »
Cheers Neil, I think we needed that!

I will talk to you later neilep.

On a lighter note as the newscaster would say I like Charlotte Church too ,but her pop singing has failed for me as it seems to be highly contrived and not spontaneous.

Unfortunately she has put on considerable weight since I saw her last time on television indicating a solidly built frame.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 03/03/2009 11:39:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums