The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do my feet feel hot at night?  (Read 96206 times)

Offline Chub

• View Profile
Why do my feet feel hot at night?
« on: 10/05/2005 21:42:51 »
At night my feet get terribly HOT.  The rest of my body is either comfortable or cool.  My feet feel like they are on fire, tried soaking in cool-cold water, sleeping with an icepack all to no avail.  Any suggestions as to what causes this and/or what I can do?

One Step Closer To Success
« Last Edit: 15/05/2016 09:38:17 by chris »

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
Re: Hot Feet
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2005 22:14:24 »
I've always believed the feet (along with other apendages) to be the body's natural thermostats. So, if you do the topical cold, it would shoot blood there to warm the area. I'm not saying to add heat instead, but you might try elevating your feet to slow down the blood to them. This may be horribly layman, but it makes sense to me. Hopefully some of these smart people will chime in. You may want to see a doc about this as well. Not to worry you, but poor / slow circulation can be a sign of more serious things such as diabetes or neuropathy. Good luck in the quest for a better nights rest.

Offline Chub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2005 23:13:06 »
Thanks Ians Daddy, been checked for diabetes thats not it, thank goodness, the neuropathy....hmmm need to find out about that.  I'll try the feet elevation.  Last night I slept on our leather couch, it stays pretty cool to the touch so it helped a little, but my feet were also elevated slightly...you may have something there.  

I'll try a bit of a more incline tonight.  : )

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2005 23:52:23 »
Hi Chub...Is it just when you go to bed that your feet get hot  ?  i.e. when you're laying down ?or literally ' at night' whether you're in bed or not ?...... I'm just trying to determine whether it's just the time of day this happens or when ever you're horizontal.

I know this might be silly but have you actually taken the temperature of your feet when they're terribly hot ?..y'know...stick a thermometer between your toes or something.......maybe they just FEEL really hot !!

I wish you luck in finding a remedy......

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Chub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2005 01:54:21 »
Neilep your funny.  I was lying there last night thinking "I should go get the thermometer, I swear my feet were at leas 105"  I didn't though, instead I went to the couch.

It ONLY seems to happen when I'm lying down.  I had a back injury when I was 17, but I'm 39 now and it has only been the last couple of years since this has occurred.  My husband has had this problem for about 5 years.  No doctors seem to be able to pin point it.  

Right now, sitting at the computer my feet are 79 between the balls of my feet (the only place I could acurately hold it) and my body temperature is 98.9

I'll check them later when they're boiling.  Hopefully there is some help.

Offline l_kryptonite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/05/2005 05:15:07 »
If your feet are hot, the rest of you may feel cool because you are sweating slightly to compensate.  Try sleeping under a lighter cover?  The leather couch would be cooling you all over.
I sleep in a water bed, and if the temp is too high or low it becomes obvious from the way I sleep.

Offline Chub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2005 19:02:49 »
Maybe just talking about it helped.  Last night was the first night in MANY months I had cold feet.  Hmmmm, now I need to backtrack yesterday to see what I did differently.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/05/2005 19:51:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chub

Maybe just talking about it helped.  Last night was the first night in MANY months I had cold feet.  Hmmmm, now I need to backtrack yesterday to see what I did differently.

Perhaps you accidently slept with your feet in the fridge !!..do you have a built in fridge in your bed or couch ?:D

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Chub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/05/2005 18:23:03 »
Hmmm, that would explain that glowing light that wouldn't shut off. :D

I beleive some of the hot footedness (is that a word?) could be explained by a fever.  Came down with a nasty case of the sniffles after that main incedent.  I have had them when I was perfectly healthy though.  I am notorious for going barefoot, maybe that has something to do with it.

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/07/2005 14:34:56 »
I just heard the other day hot feet may be caused by renal dysfunction. True or not!?
« Last Edit: 13/07/2005 14:35:27 by memasa »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 13/07/2005 14:34:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums