The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Expanding Universe  (Read 10020 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Universe
« Reply #25 on: 18/05/2005 17:26:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

(I think I need a holiday)

It wasn't me - a big boy did it & ran away

Me too !!

Activity has to be the reason why we perceive time at different levels, I know I can be as bored as a bored person from the Planet Bored if I have nothing else to do except wiggle my fingers (this does not apply to other wigglable appendages :))...but when I'm busy...time flies by...I have been astonished sometimes when I've looked at the clock and it's literally three hours later than I thought it was. I suppose the answer to a long life is to make it as banal as you can.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18/05/2005 17:30:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by chimera
More important question philosopically is that if time is a real (absolute) thing, it would mean that the whole of reality would work like a large PC screen, with a common 'refresh rate', or uniform 'redrawing of reality' shared by each different location in this universe.

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

Cripes !!..I hope there's no one attempting to ' overclock ' the Universe !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18/05/2005 18:38:53 »
Gosh, you guys are taking it better than I hoped, even... :)

Seriously, Neil, how your glands make your brain perceive time subjectively (adrenalin vs endorphins) has nothing to do with clocks and atoms - however interesting it is to us personally. It does not translate, and is not even the same to your own experience twice, probably.

As doctorbeaver rightly points out, all kinds of problems would ensue from having a central clock that governed 'the next moment' for all of known space simultaneously: it would have to have infinite speed, for one.

Some quantum mechanics think there is such a central clock, because of instantaneous action at a distance, the basis of quantum crypto, but that is not correct: those are particles born together, twins in a real sense, that hold that relationship even when separated - later.

That obviously is not the same thing, because an unknown linear relationship between 2 such particles does not automatically imply the existence of a universe-wide invisible channeling substructure.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18/05/2005 21:23:28 »
Instantaneous action at a distance is spooky. And as for QC - AAARRRGH!

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19/05/2005 19:25:10 »
Well, as long as you see there is no theory of time. Someone could come up and say time is God's will pushing everything forward, and there is no scientific answer as to why that's wrong.

Whatever our clocks say, there is no measure, probability calculation, no quantum theory or even a supposed particle of time.

All talk of tachyons is of the same category as gravitons - the realm of fantasy, so far.

It is the great imponderable actually, even gravity is not so weird.

[Usually at this time, some scientist will start all enthusiastically about this new type of clock, and everybody proceeds as if nothing happened. How science fosters its own blind spots, in the flesh.]

« Last Edit: 19/05/2005 19:26:31 by chimera »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 19/05/2005 19:25:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums