The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does space-time dispalcement = gravity and not pressure zones?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline sandman

• First timers
    • View Profile
The typical picture of gravity as a curvature of space-time only seems to work if space-time is a single elastic layer upon which bodies of mass impress themselves upon. The sink-hole of a black hole or any other massive thing only seems to work on a flat slab of space-time, for if space-time were equally displaced in all directions by an object it would be like taking that indented slab and making a 3D mold out of it. The result would be a bigger bubble for a heavier object.  If anything it seems that this would create a pressure zone around the mass. One would expect that when another object with a pressure zone passes close by the space between them would by compressed and they would repel each other rather than be attracted. This is the opposite of what space-displacement gravity is supposed to explain.  I know that this picture is wrong but I'm not sure how.   Who would be so kind as to help explain to me why this is wrong and how it bloody well works?!
« Last Edit: 04/03/2009 23:40:25 by sandman »

Offline sandman

• First timers
    • View Profile
I should amend, that even if the 'sinking' into space of a massive thing always occurs in another spacial dimension then gravity would still seem to only take effect from the side of the object closest to the threshold of this  additional(not part of 3d or 4d {time is a questionable spatial dimension) space) space-dimensional stretch. Otherwise space should just stretch like a bubble around heavy objects that exert force on it if it curves accordingly to the mass of things. By this I mean that the mass of things exerts some kind of force that is equivalent to a force field. Black holes would suggest that space stretches in on itself into another unseen dimension when big boys are around. Why is the wrong?!
« Last Edit: 04/03/2009 23:54:08 by sandman »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums