The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the true cost of biodiesel?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What is the true cost of biodiesel?
« on: 05/03/2009 10:47:06 »
I have been watching the Orang-utan Diaries on BBC2 over the past couple weeks and am amazed at the devastation of the Borneo rainforest for the production of Palm Oil. This oil is being used for the production of biodiesel. One acre will produce 500 gallons of biodiesel.

In 2004 in the UK, 150 gallons of diesel was sold every second. That would equate to 18 acres of biodiesel production being sold every minute, or 25,920 (approx) per day. Or if you prefer 105 sq kilometres.  This means the UK alone could use 38,325 sq k per year.

How can this possibly be regarded as an environmentally friendly alternative to fossil fuel?

If you have the BBC iplayer downloaded, you can watch the Orang-utan Diaries here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j3lxm/Orangutan_Diary_Series_2_Episode_2/
« Last Edit: 10/03/2009 19:52:28 by chris »

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
Re: What is the true cost of biodiesel?
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2009 21:03:25 »
 I think the environmentalist who pay attention do not consider it an alternative to power individual private vehicles. Too many cars.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
Re: What is the true cost of biodiesel?
« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2009 09:16:21 »
I think the problem is that there is a "good" biodiesel made from waste vegtable oil from fast food restaurants/ food factories and "bad" biodiesel made from (oil palm) plantations in what would have been rain forrest.

There is a chap hippie i know, who gets the oil from his local chip shop a passes it throuh a complex (solar driven) filter system in his back yard, which he then fuels his bus with during the summer festival season.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2009 20:25:32 »
I think the problem is that there is a "good" biodiesel made from waste vegtable oil from fast food restaurants/ food factories and "bad" biodiesel made from (oil palm) plantations in what would have been rain forrest.

There is a chap hippie i know, who gets the oil from his local chip shop a passes it throuh a complex (solar driven) filter system in his back yard, which he then fuels his bus with during the summer festival season.

But very few people could do that. Not enough fast-food restaurants per capita I guess. Well, it is reducing waste, so that is a good thing.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2009 11:04:36 »
Absolutely - it is like any energy from waste scheme - mass burn incinerators take waste from say 120,000 households and produce enough power for 30,000.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2009 11:04:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums