The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we see the past or future by looking in different directions in space?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline callingtotheoutside

• View Profile
If everything is expanding since the big bang, with older stuff moving ahead of us and younger stuff behind us then is it possible to stargaze at certain times of the year and be looking into the past or future? Obviously I'm aware that you would need a really powerful telescope to see those kind of distances but i was just curious if whilst I'm doing a bit of stargazing e.g. during the summer and in England i could think to myself "Wow, that's the direction the big bang started" or am i completely barking up the wrong tree?  ???     
« Last Edit: 06/03/2009 08:06:04 by chris »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
I think that in every direction you look you will be looking into the past. There is not a certain direction that is younger; distance should be younger; no matter the direction.

• View Profile
Now i'm just confused  :(

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Whenever you look at the stars, you are effectively looking into the past, regardless of where that star is in relation to Earth and the point of the Big Bang. If the light from a star (the Sun) takes 8 mins to get to Earth, you are seeing that star as it was 8 mins ago, if it takes 8.6 years (The Dog Star) then you are seeing the star as it was 8.6 years ago, not as it is now.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think what Vern meant is that everything is the same age, so no matter where you look you're looking at the past because the light you are receiving from the object you are looking at took a long time to get to you.

edit: sorry, Don kinda said the same thing while I was typing my reply out

• View Profile
OK, now i get it thank you. I'm more of a biologist than an astronomer  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums