The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Moon has no Spin  (Read 11539 times)

Offline A Davis

• View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #25 on: 14/03/2009 01:03:19 »
The subject has definitely got you all talking. To yor_on, I don't think they will believe in shperical harmonics. Any references for the pendulum experiment on the moon, if it is true I will concede. Most of you are talking about orbital spin, it's not the same as rotational spin, my right shoulder has no rotational spin its  position is fixed.

Offline Flyberius

• View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #26 on: 14/03/2009 04:14:06 »
The subject has definitely got you all talking. To yor_on, I don't think they will believe in shperical harmonics. Any references for the pendulum experiment on the moon, if it is true I will concede. Most of you are talking about orbital spin, it's not the same as rotational spin, my right shoulder has no rotational spin its  position is fixed.

Sure it is.

You 100% correct.  Thank goodness you cleared it all up.  Call NASA guys.  They got it wrong.  No wonder we have had so much trouble setting up a global communication network.  We forgot to factor in the effect of earths rotation amounting to nothing.

Give this man a nobel prize pronto.

May I suggest http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/ for you.

Offline Damo the Optics Monkey

• Spectroradiometry rulz!
    • View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #27 on: 14/03/2009 08:19:06 »
Flyberius - that was awesome!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #28 on: 14/03/2009 18:41:40 »
"not the same as rotational spin,"
What's the difference? They are both spin.

lyner

The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #29 on: 14/03/2009 20:28:10 »
"not the same as rotational spin"
The only way to deal with that sort of nonsense is to "deny it the oxygen of" a reply.

Offline A Davis

• View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #30 on: 23/03/2009 21:00:19 »
Been typing out the full theory, sent it to three other Universities. May the best one win.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #31 on: 23/03/2009 22:43:04 »
I'm sure they enjoy a good laugh as much as anyone.

lyner

The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #32 on: 23/03/2009 23:42:32 »
BC
Did you read wot i rote?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #33 on: 24/03/2009 20:24:04 »
Yes, but I can't resist making jokes about an idea that is so intrinsically silly as the idea that the moon has no spin.

Offline A Davis

• View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #34 on: 27/03/2009 00:03:47 »
BC why don't you calculate the second orbits intrinsic spin, you might find that it is retrograde. Can you think of a planet that has this solution?

lyner

The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #35 on: 27/03/2009 14:59:18 »
Have you heard back from your Universities, yet, A Davis?
It's a 'brave'(?) man who uses quantum mechanical ideas for astronomical bodies.

Offline Ben Evans

• View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #36 on: 29/03/2009 00:57:02 »
Yeah, the moon doesn't spin, why should it? Things only spin if they have momentum when they enter orbit. The moon didn't. Get over it! It will probably start to spin in the future though in the oposite dirction to earth. I'll bet 50 on that, anyone want in?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #37 on: 29/03/2009 11:28:48 »
BC why don't you calculate the second orbits intrinsic spin, you might find that it is retrograde. Can you think of a planet that has this solution?
I won't waste my time calculating that nonsense spin when it has nothing to do with the question. I can see that the moon spins just by looking out of the window from time to time.

Ben, I'll take that bet. Since the moon always presents the same face to the earth and the earth is spining the moon spins. Also, it will continue to do so because it's tidally locked to the earth.
There, now you owe me 50. Sent it to the comic relief fund on my behalf please.

lyner

The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #38 on: 29/03/2009 13:46:35 »
Ben
It would be a very strange object, indeed, that didn't 'tumble' as it travels through space. A single impact with a tiny object with a small tangential component would start it tumbling.
The Moon, along with everything else, is tumbling to some extent. This tumbling (or SPIN) causes it to face us all the time. The, apparent, coincidence of spin and orbit time is due to the fact that the Moon and Earth are not isotropic spheres and there are loss mechanisms (such as the tides) which lock the motions.

Unless, of course, the Moon IS stationary and the Earth is rotating underneath it . . . . . Hang on, didn't Copernicus put us right on a similar bad idea, several hundred years ago. How about a Lunacentric Universe then? (Loony centered?)

Consider, for an instant, that you are wrong in your assumption. Now read  through the past posts and you may come to the correct reasoning. Or read a million other websites.

The Naked Scientists Forum

The Moon has no Spin
« Reply #38 on: 29/03/2009 13:46:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums