The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Differences betwn prokaryote, eukaryote & endosymbiont antibiotic susceptibility  (Read 5219 times)

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
Could someone please help me with what the structural and functional differences are between prokaryotes, eukaryotes & endosymbionts, that make them differentially resistant or susceptible to different antibiotics?

Especially the reasons why mitochondria and chloroplasts are resistant to antibiotics that bacteria are susceptible to, even though they have evolved from bacteria themselves?

I am referring to general differences that the groups have, not specific resistances to drugs as in the case of MRSA etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Phil1907

• View Profile
I've not much in the way of reports re. your assumption that mitchondria, for example, are resistant to antibiotics effective vs. bacteria. Certainly those that target cell walls are not relevant.  I do know that chloramphenicol does affect fungal mitchondria as it does bacteria  but it takes higher levels.

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
Thanks.

I assumed mitochondria and chloroplasts are resistant to some bacteria-targeting antibiotics because otherwise they would die whenever we medicate ourselves against bacterial infections. So what's preventing this from happening?

Offline Phil1907

• View Profile
They're not resistant per se - it just takes greater levels.  The chloramphenicol  mitochondrial inhibition requires higher levels - presume due to the physical separation inside the cell).
Of course they'll not be affected cell wall targeting antibiotics like penicillin.

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
Thanks Phil!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums