The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How fast will people be able to run?  (Read 11590 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: How fast will people be able to run?
« Reply #25 on: 13/06/2005 16:25:30 »
In most cases obesity is caused by nothing other than sheer greed

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13/06/2005 16:48:38 »
Well, maybe so... but I think the point being made in the quote above is that greed didn't used to be much of a problem when the resources to satisfy it weren't available. Infact, being able to eat as much as was available when it *was* available would stand you in good stead for the lean times, meaning your genes were more likely to get back into the gene pool... you had a buffer against starvation.
Now, however, in the Western world, food is no longer (in the majority of cases) a limiting factor so that it has become much easier to get unheathily fat (without being Henry VIII).
Greed has ceased to be, evolutionarily, a good thing.

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14/06/2005 10:34:10 »
Rosy: That is exactly what I meant!!!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14/06/2005 11:24:59 »
I also dispute the figures. There has been a lot on British TV lately about obesity. 1 report stated that 1 in 3 schoolchildren is obese. I did my own little bit of research on that. I picked up my friend's 10yo daughter from school & as the children came out I counted how many there were & how many looked overweight. Out of the 300+ children that I saw I counted 53 who looked overweight & a further 21 who looked obese. OK, I accept that's not very scientific but just walking round my local town & observing, I reckon those figures were about average for this area (Suffolk). So, by my reckoning it's not 1 in 3 who are obese but rather 1 in 15 & 1 in 6 may be overweight. Even allowing for local variation, that's a big difference.
Also, the most common method used to classify people as obese is a total nonsense. Height to weight has very little bearing on whether a person is obese. You only have to look at body-builders or professional rugby players to see how absurd it is. I used to play rugby & practice martial arts in my earlier days. At my peak I stood 5'9" & weighed just over 12st. That means I would've been classed as obese by today's reckonings yet there was hardly an ounce of fat on me.
Finally, the government figures contradict something else that they claim to be a serious worry - that children are trying too hard to be thin like pop stars & models. How can that be reconciled with their claims about obesity?
« Last Edit: 14/06/2005 11:52:09 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14/06/2005 11:45:45 »
I do, however, take your point about evolution - but qualifyingly. Many animals in the wild gorge themselves whenever they can as insurance against hard times (lions & hyenas being prime examples). Such behaviour can also be witnessed in domestic dogs (in my experience, mainly among males or pregnant females). Nonetheless, there are also many examples of wild animals eating only a sufficient amount & saving the remainder. For instance leopards take their catch up into a tree, eat what they want & keep the rest. Crocodilians also keep a "larder".
Throughout human history there have been slim, average & fat people. Food is certainly more plentiful these days (in the Western world, at least) & cheap enough that no-one need go hungry. If obesity were a purely evolutionary thing then it would be the rule rather than the exception. People are far more sedentary now than in the past so our energy output is reduced. Obesity is caused by eating more than is required for the amount of energy one expends - & that is greed. As Rosy stated so eloquently "Greed has ceased to be, evolutionarily, a good thing"
I would, however, contest 1 of the points made - that being obese meant one was more likely to pass on one's genes to the next generation. If present axioms are indeed correct and obesity can cause impotence & early death, obesity would be self-defeating and those genes would have less chance of being passed on.
« Last Edit: 14/06/2005 11:55:24 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14/06/2005 14:31:04 »
quote:
that being obese meant one was more likely to pass on one's genes to the next generation

Ah, sorry... I wasn't at all suggesting that obesity was an evolutionary advantage, rather that the tendancy to eat heavily when food was available might be of use if food were in general scarce and became occasionally and in large quantities. Certainly obesity itself is going to lead to poor reproductive performance overall, but sometimes tendancies which now lead to obesity and so are negative might have been less unfortunate in less overprovided times.

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19/06/2005 08:19:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

As the art of exercsising and training improves, then the body acts accordingly to react to that input. Therfore the body will improve too, this will then be passed on to the next generation. Isn't that what evolution is ? adaptation to the environment based on external influence and changing circumstance ? Why would one evolve if there was no impetus ?

just curious, why do "fast humans not make more kids in general" ? is it because they can't be caught to do the deed ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

no that lamarks theory of evolution...which is wrong...
Darwins correct theory says that animals have natural variation, through mutations and the like,(some run a little faster than others for example..) and that if running faster provides the ability to produce more offspring (aka be more fitted to the enviroment) that trait wille ventually become predominat, voilla, evolution.
Lamarks theory says that if you use an appendage it becomes stronger (for example if you practice running alot youll become stranger in it, this is true) and then you pass that trait down to your kids. This is incorrect however, if it were true why wouldnt body builders children come out all muscley? A fast runner might pass along speed genes to his children but he cannot improve nor create those speed genes by running...
No, humans are not evolving faster, as speed in the current enviroment does not infer a benefit upon reproduction. Perhaps we're increasing inspeed due physcological factor (each time the record becomes higher people know they must train harder to break it)...

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22/06/2005 19:59:37 »
quote:
[...]each time the record becomes higher people know they must train harder to break it[...]

Unfortunately, some also manufacture doping for those top atheletes willing to break an "unbreakable" record. But, hey, it's probably big business...
And since I've been talking a lot about genes lately (:)) I can't help but mention the possibility of genetically engineered top atheletes. So, it is conceivable that some people will run a helluva lot faster in the future.
« Last Edit: 22/06/2005 20:11:03 by memasa »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23/06/2005 05:37:56 »
Memasa - I have no doubt that people will be able to run faster. My question was about what physiological constraints will determine the limit?

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23/06/2005 09:23:42 »
[:I]

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #35 on: 25/06/2005 03:25:56 »
Originally posted by neilep

"As the art of exercising and training improves, then the body acts accordingly to react to that input. Therefore the body will improve too, this will then be passed on to the next generation. Isn't that what evolution is ? Adaptation to the environment based on external influence and changing circumstance? Why would one evolve if there was no impetus?"

--------------------------------

Are we running faster now due to improved muscle response or is more to do with better equiptment such as improved track surface, running shoes, clothing , more accurate timing devices etc.  I very much doubt the human body can go much faster and unless evolution plays its hand by which i mean somebody is born with a defect that happens to improve the running ability of a future athelete then i cant see us improving much on present records .
but what happens in the future when we are more capable at manipulating our bodies through our genes. and it will happen one day.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #35 on: 25/06/2005 03:25:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums