The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nuclear fusion - Are there any disadvantages?  (Read 7959 times)

Offline megs07

• First timers
    • View Profile
Nuclear fusion - Are there any disadvantages?
« on: 10/03/2009 19:49:27 »
For my GCSE case study I have chosen to study the arguments for and against nuclear fusion and whether it is the energy source for the future.  I'm finding out some really interesting information about how it works and the research that is going on at the moment.  The problem is finding out arguments against this subject.  I know that most scientists are interested in this research happening but I have found some people arguing that it is too expensive or that the waste produced, even in small amounts, would be harmful. The problem I'm having is finding any scientifically recognisable sources backing these views up with any evidence.  I would be really grateful for any advice where I could look for the information as at the moment I'm rather stuck!

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2009 22:07:16 »
It would probably be the best source of power we could hope for. There would be radioactive waste products but I believe they would be shorter lived, mostly.
Problem is, it hasn't be made to operate as a working reactor. Everyone says that we are at least many decades away from being to use a practical fusion reactor. I think that's the main disadvantage.

Have you not tried Wikkers? They have something to say about EVERYTHING!!

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2009 23:52:43 »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2009 06:59:43 »
yes 50+ years of research has yet to produce a usable reactor design while the production of mature design fission reactors languishes despite the impending disaster of CO2 contamination caused by burning fossil fuel 

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2009 10:52:16 »
Fusion offers atomic power without the radioactive by-products; this is very promising. We could get the same power right now form fission power plants, but opposition groups make it so expensive that we can't build new ones here in the US.

Cold fusion would be the absolute best; but it seems that it is dangerous to become adapt at providing it.

Quote from: the link
The poster below advertises a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the 2004 murder of Dr. Eugene Mallove. Click here for an article in the Norwich (CT) Bulletin regarding the posting of the reward and here for more information on Dr. Eugene Mallove.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2009 10:52:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length