The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Difference between flux  (Read 2620 times)

Offline erickejah

• Parking? I make my own parking spot!!
    • View Profile
Difference between flux
« on: 13/03/2009 14:36:36 »
Are there any differences between the magnetic flux and the radioactive flux?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Difference between flux
« Reply #1 on: 13/03/2009 15:07:08 »
Yes they are very much different.

Magnetic flux is the field strength of a magnetic field. Radioactive flux is the radiation amplitude one could measure with a Geiger Counter. This would probably be fast neutrons and possibly alpha particles and other nuclear debris. Radioactive flux is very dangerous and should be avoided.

« Last Edit: 13/03/2009 15:14:16 by Vern »

Offline erickejah

• Parking? I make my own parking spot!!
    • View Profile
Difference between flux
« Reply #2 on: 13/03/2009 15:20:44 »
Is that it? what about the units, are those the same?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Difference between flux
« Reply #3 on: 13/03/2009 16:00:42 »
The units are not the same either. I'm not an expert in the field of radiation measure but I think the units of measure is the rad. It is accumulative and people who risk exposure to radiation wear a tag that measures their accumulative exposure.

I usually think of magnetic field strength in terms of gauss units of magnetic force. Wiki seems to like the term Weber and tesla.

Quote from: Wiki
Magnetic flux, represented by the Greek letter Φ (phi), is a measure of quantity of magnetism, taking into account the strength and the extent of a magnetic field. The SI unit of magnetic flux is the weber (in derived units: volt-seconds), and the unit of magnetic field is the weber per square meter, or tesla.
« Last Edit: 13/03/2009 16:23:32 by Vern »

Offline swansont

• View Profile
Difference between flux
« Reply #4 on: 13/03/2009 17:07:57 »
In radiation terms the flux is the number of particles passing through (or striking) a unit area per unit time.  Rad is an absorbed dose, not a flux.

One rad is equal to an absorbed dose of 100 ergs/gram or 0.01 joule/kilogram
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part020/part020-1004.html
(REM, another common radiation term, is a dose equivalent that takes into account how concentrated the energy deposition will be)

lyner

Difference between flux
« Reply #5 on: 13/03/2009 17:12:51 »
You can have all sorts of flux - it's just a description of the 'amount of' something which can be regarded as 'flowing' or even just 'pointing' (in the case of a vector field).

I like the Tesla for flux density because it is stated in terms of an easily  conceived technique and with quantities you can measure easily: Force per unit length of a current carrying wire.

Flux was used, in olden days, to refer to stuff flowing out of your bowels! "I suffered from the bloody flux." Nasty.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Difference between flux
« Reply #5 on: 13/03/2009 17:12:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums