The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we measure 'expansion'  (Read 29420 times)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can we measure 'expansion'
« Reply #100 on: 22/03/2009 03:16:37 »
So I don't have to go back and learn Year 11 physics/astronomy again? :)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 22/03/2009 03:24:47 »
So I don't have to go back and learn Year 11 physics/astronomy again? :)

Hold fire on that

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 22/03/2009 03:28:06 »
Yeah, I think I'll start from Year 1 again. :)

Ethos

« Reply #103 on: 22/03/2009 04:33:14 »
Actually, I've wondered about the whole expansion scenario myself more than once or twice. Consider this; If space is expanding, then all of space must be expanding, we can't limit it to just far away Galaxies. The expansion must include the space between our planet and neighboring planets also. The reason we don't observe it is because the measuring stick we use is expanding also. And the reason for this would be that space is expanding not only between us and other Galaxies, but also between particles of matter. Remember what science tells us; That Matter is composed of mostly space. Either space is expanding every where or it isn't expanding at all.
« Last Edit: 26/03/2009 15:12:51 by Ethos »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 22/03/2009 10:11:04 »
Ethos - We've been through this. Inside galaxies gravity holds the expansion in check. Inside atoms we have the other forces (EM, weak & strong) doing the same. Were the space inside atoms expanding then pretty soon things would start falling apart as EM is subject to the inverse square law.

Ethos

« Reply #105 on: 22/03/2009 13:54:52 »
Ethos - We've been through this.

Ah yes, my oversight. It's what I get for scanning in haste, ............sorry............

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #106 on: 22/03/2009 15:48:24 »
JukriS; I need to hire an assistant; it takes much time to read your posts.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 22/03/2009 20:00:54 »

DoctorBeaver -  Please give some evidence for these statements you have made

1. Space expanding

2. Space curving

3. There is drawing force

4. There is 4 different kind of forces

5. There is dark matter

5,5 There is dark energy

6. There is extra dimensions

7. First is nothing and then born space, time and very density energy

8. How atom nuclei control electrons?

9. How you stay at earth skin?

10. How planets stay sun orbit?

11. Why galaxies take a round like they do?

12. Why they can see new stars near giant black holes in galaxies centre?

13. How you explain pioneerprobes anomaly?

14. How you explain Dark flow?

15. How you explain, photon go fast and then slow in stuff and after that again fast?................................

1. Space expanding – The Doppler shift of distant objects.
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/cosmology/expansion.html
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/Cosmos/ExpandUni.html

2, Space curving - I could cite any text on General Relativity.

3.  There is drawing force – where have I said there is such a thing?

4.There is 4 different kind of forces – standard physics as accepted universally; although Dark Energy could make it 5.

5. There is Dark Matter - Something is making galaxies behave the way they do. There must be extra mass there somewhere that stops them flying apart. Whatever that is is called Dark Matter.

5.5 There is dark energy – Something is driving the expansion of the universe and that something is called Dark Energy. Nobody knows what it is.

6. There is extra dimensions – I have only ever said that these are theorised. No-one has any proof.

7. First is nothing and then born space, time and very density energy – Standard Big Bang theory which most physicists accept as the most probable beginning of the universe.

8. How atom nuclei control electrons? - They don't. It is quantum mechanics and the forces inside atoms that determine how electrons in atoms behave.

9. How you stay at earth skin? - Gravity. Do I really need to prove that gravity exists? No-one can explain how it works yet.

10. How planets stay sun orbit? - Newtonian mechanics & gravity. Newton's laws of motion are used to send spacecraft billions of miles to the their targets so he can't have been far wrong.

11.Why galaxies take a round like they do? - Same reason; Newtonian mechanics and gravity.

12.Why they can see new stars near giant black holes in galaxies centre? - Because they are there and our observational equipment is now good enough. Or are you saying that there should not be any new stars there? There is enough gas there so why shouldn't they form?

13. How you explain pioneer probes anomaly? -  I don't know much about it but from what I've read it could be down to gravitational forces from objects in the Kuiper belt or any number of mundane reasons that cannot as yet be proven.

14. How you explain Dark flow? - My gut feeling is that it has to do with cosmic strings bounding our domain. If they exist they will have incredible mass; far greater than any blackhole.

15, How you explain, photon go fast and then slow in stuff and after that again fast? - Put simply, as photons travel they encounter other particles. They are absorbed and re-emitted (or maybe it is that a different photon is emitted after the interaction). The more particles they encounter, the slower their apparent velocity. However, it is only their apparent velocity that changes. In between interactions the photon travels at the same rate.

Now, back to this:

Atoms nucleus and all particle expand

No they do not. In all the physics experiments that have ever been done, all the measurements that have been taken,  there has never been even the tiniest bit of evidence that it happens. I have never even seen it theorised anywhere. The only place I have ever seen anything like that said is here by you. Soufflees expand. Bread expands. Middle-aged men's bellies expand. Atomic nuclei & particles do not.

To be honest, Jukris, I'm getting a bit bored with this. You keep spouting the same old stuff without giving any scientific justification for what you are saying. You say that what is taught is wrong, yet what is taught is the culmination years of serious work by some of the greatest thinkers and researchers who ever lived.

What you said initially about there possibly being a domain with “lower pressure” caught my interest a bit as I do believe that we exist in just 1 small part of the universe of the universe that is conducive to our existence. However, all that other rubbish you have come out with has made me not want to explore that matter with you any further.
« Last Edit: 22/03/2009 20:08:29 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 24/03/2009 01:31:42 »
I've tried to reason with you but you refuse to accept scientific theories that have stood up to every experiment and piece of research that has been thrown at them. The evidence against what you say is overwhelming and there is absolutely no evidence to indicate that you could be right.

I've had enough of it now so don't expect any more replies from me.

lyner

« Reply #109 on: 24/03/2009 20:01:13 »
Why has it taken you so long to see sense, DrB?
You might have known you were on to a loser with this guy long ago.

Just talk to sensible people like me! At least my b/s is coherent.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 24/03/2009 20:13:24 »
I don't like leaving people living in ignorance. I thought that maybe once I'd pointed out that he was talking bollox he may have changed his mind.

Ethos

« Reply #111 on: 26/03/2009 15:15:02 »
I don't like leaving people living in ignorance.

We all live in ignorance of one form or another DocB, allow him his bliss...................Ethos

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 26/03/2009 17:25:49 »
I don't like leaving people living in ignorance.

We all live in ignorance of one form or another DocB, allow him his bliss...................Ethos

Which is what I shall be doing henceforth.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #112 on: 26/03/2009 17:25:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums