The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why doesn’t antiperspirant poison our sweat glands with urea ?  (Read 5900 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
From their names I am assuming that antiperspirants blocks the production of perspiration whereas deodorants simply reduce the smell of sweat. Is that right? But how does antiperspirant work?

According to wikipedia, “Aluminium based compounds are the most widely used antiperspirants. They react with the electrolytes in the sweat to form a gel plug in the duct of the sweat gland. The plugs prevent the gland from excreting liquid. The blockage of a large number of sweat glands reduces the amount of sweat produced in the underarms.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiperspirant

So my question is this:

If it forms a physical barrier against the release of perspiration does the sweat build up behind the antiperspirant trapping waste products such as urea within the sweat glands? Why does this not poison cells? At the very least you might expect blocked pores to become infected, producing acne. After all, antiperspirant doesn’t actually ‘switch off’ the sweat glands – just blocks them. The glands themselves are controlled centrally by the hypothalamus which contains special thermosensitive neurons.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
At a guess I would say that the concentration isn't nearly high enough. Most of it would be filtered through the kidneys anyway, but I am sure the body can compensate by filtering more through the kidneys when you wear antiperspirants.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
An aquaintence of mine had a very very bad infection from having her sweatglands completely blocked from the use if her antiprispirant. lasted a few monthes and sh had to discontinue use and it was really bad got so bad it looked like she had something like cancerous ***** lookig weepy nastiness...It scared her to death.. they got it in hand but at the time it was so serious she was hospitalized and on iv etc. the infection was terrible..

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Wow. That's amazing.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It was awful but as I recall she waited for a long while thinking it was some kind of bite or something....She should have seen a doctor before it had gotten so bad... but he was a single mom and on a budget so finances were behind the waiting so long.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why doesn't the sweat just push the blockage out?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
According to wikipedia, “Aluminium based compounds are the most widely used antiperspirants. They react with the electrolytes in the sweat to form a gel plug in the duct of the sweat gland. The plugs prevent the gland from excreting liquid. The blockage of a large number of sweat glands reduces the amount of sweat produced in the underarms.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiperspirant

So probably the pressure isn't nearly enough. :)

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
ya pressure is really not enough!!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums