The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could Hansel & Gretal really have lived in a house made of biscuit and cake?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
My Mum once told me that Hansel & Gretal came across a house made of biscuit and cake. Now I suspect she may have been telling porky pies because, at the end of the day, biscuit and cake have no structural integrity when they get wet. Even the three little piggies weren’t stupid enough to build a house out of biscuit! And what would happen if Hansel dropped a cup of tea on the floor? It would pass right through like the alien blood in the first Alien film.

So my question is this:

Why does my digestive biscuit (which is made from wheat) go mushy when I dunk it in tea whereas the First Little Piggie’s straw house (which is also made of wheat), or any thatched roof come to that, can get as wet as you like without turning to mush?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"Could Hansel & Gretal really have lived in a house made of biscuit and cake?"

Considering how are made many houses today, that one of the tale could have been more resistant... :)

lyner

Straw, which is sometimes used for thatch, is the bit of wheat that is left over when the 'ears' or seeds have been removed. It is not soluble in water. Biscuits are made from the flour and sugar etc. which are soluble.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
the operative word is "cellulose," which cause the wheat stalks to be water-resistant. It is the bone and keratin of the plant kingdom. Trees are made of it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums