The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Antipodean Earth Globes Upside Down  (Read 2454 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Are Antipodean Earth Globes Upside Down
« on: 17/03/2009 17:38:18 »
Dear Southern Hemsiphereologists,

As a Sheepy I of course know which way is up !..I take great pride in being able to stand upwards !

But I am curious, do ewe guys have you globes upside down ?..Are we on this side of the planet your version of ' down under' ?

See this Earth !

Nice eh ?..By the way , this is how the Earth really floats in space..this is true !!

Do your versions of this float the other way round ?

...finally, and this may be what will keep this thread in the Genereal Science dept...what's the science behind the way that globes and maps are portrayed as so ?

Ta

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

neil
Sheepy With My Feet On The Ground
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/03/2009 03:50:16 »
do ewe guys have you globes upside down ?..Are we on this side of the planet your version of ' down under' ?
Nope. :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/03/2009 12:12:15 »
do ewe guys have you globes upside down ?..Are we on this side of the planet your version of ' down under' ?
Nope. :)

Ta  :)

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/03/2009 12:44:07 »
When Chris and I met some astronomers in South Africa, they said they like to think of South as up - I think it's a bit of an in-joke really, but they've got a point!

blakestyger

« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2009 17:59:14 »
When maps and globes began to be made, it was by the exploring nations in western Europe (in the Elizabethan Expansion) who were also in the northern hemisphere - it follows that they would put themselves at the top.

The very earliest maps, ca. 12th century, before the meridian was thought up, show Jerusalem at the centre with other places of significance (the Nile, Rome, Asia etc) distributed geometrically around it - and East was at the top.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2009 18:10:29 »
The very earliest maps, ca. 12th century, before the meridian was thought up, show Jerusalem at the centre with other places of significance (the Nile, Rome, Asia etc) distributed geometrically around it - and East was at the top.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/the-dragon-chronicles/the-hereford-mappa-mundi/4524/#hide
« Last Edit: 18/03/2009 18:21:34 by RD »

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 19/03/2009 00:02:12 »
Most people read charts and maps with North at the Top.

As far as globes go - Everyone has their's orientated 'wrong' unless they happen to be near the North Pole. And, because they tend to be mounted on a tilted axis, even ones at the actual North Pole will be wrong. Some, on 23 degree latitude will be right once a day.

But charts can be wall mounted, too, with no problem of understanding what they represent.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 19/03/2009 00:02:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums