The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why don't I feel pain when I break a bone?  (Read 6135 times)

Offline SherryAllen

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why don't I feel pain when I break a bone?
« on: 18/03/2009 12:30:01 »
SherryAllen  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi, I don't have pain of any kind after surgeries, have had shoulder surgery, total rotator cuff repair, as an example, just had foot surgery, no pain at all.

In fact the Dr gave me darvacet for the pain, it was like taking nothing as a pill is concerned..gave me a bit of a headache...that's it, waste of time, and tramadol, when I take 150mg it takes about 5 hours to work a little bit, guess I make my own pain medicine in my brain, from what I have been reading about, I'm strange,

Also, I can break bones, feel it for a few minutes then walk on them for few months or more. They ache a bit, then I have to have them surgically repaired because I walked on them and they don't  heal right because I didn't stay off my feet or leg they break off and float around, strange..have had several surgeries, no pain at all, and I heal too fast...that's another thing too

Peace and Joy
Mrs. Sherry Allen

What do you think?

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #1 on: 18/03/2009 23:15:54 »
I suppose that it's possible that your neurochemistry is slightly different than normal. Is it just your bones that have a reduced pain response? What if you cut yourself? Does that hurt less, too?

Really, I see no particular reason why every person must feel pain to the same degree. You may simply have a shortage of pain neurotransmitters relative to most other people.

Actually, there are some people that can't feel pain at all. This is a problem because they can injure themselve more easily than the average person without even knowing it.

Offline SherryAllen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2009 00:05:11 »
    I do feel cuts and bruises tho. I will ache, but not actual pain, in fact when my rotator cuff was hanging by a thread(basically) it just ached so much it kept me awake at night, but after the surgery, no pain meds were needed or anything, I didn't even hurt, and the place where they made the incision went completely gone, there was a dent, and now that is almost gone,so I pretty much just have aches and nagging aches before hand is all. But when I stubbed my foot back east on a trip, it was painful for a few minutes then I tried to tell my brother in law its broken, he just laughed at me, because I had no swelling or bruising at all, but it had to be fixed about 4 months later because in fact it was broken, and it just ached when I walked on it..but from what I have read lately on the web, I make my own Endorphins in my brain(?) that's why when I take pain meds of any kind (which I have to overdose on, which is not good)they don't work at all. So, I don't even bother getting any...this is cool tho, 8)

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2009 15:06:43 »
Actually, there are some people that can't feel pain at all. This is a problem because they can injure themselve more easily than the average person without even knowing it.
This is the reason that lepers (people with leprosy) lose their extremities or even whole limbs - the disease damages the nerves so they lose sensation in those parts, which means they don't notice when they are injured, so the parts get damaged and infected, eventually leading to the loss.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2009 15:06:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums