The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could I have a kidney infection???  (Read 35663 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Could I have a kidney infection???
« on: 19/03/2009 09:31:02 »
Well for the last s days I have been experiencing

1. tenderness at waist line in the front and the back like when you put your hands on your hips about fingers stretch into the fron on both sides and on each side in my waistline height.
Is hat kidney area?

2. urine is not clearing with increased water boardering orangish red to dark dark reddish brown..Amended: JUst had a lighter urine this last round...

3. constant aching in the tender area...

4. Have had a harder time breathing the last couple of days.... trouble getting my wind...

5. Urinating more and urgent suddeness of urination.... Hard to make it to the loo....

6. Have been extremely tired.

7.  front right side of my neck leading from my clavical bone up to my jaw hinge but in the bone and muscle runing upalong side my right ear. the muscle has become hard to press on and is swollen and hurts ....

8. Experience a very breif period of relief of the pain in the side and back area.

9. siting upright or standing  for ten minutes makes the aching worse.

These are my currant meds..  barring I have not forgotten one or two.

Furisimide 40MG        
Amlodipine 2.0
Amlodipine 5.0
Metoprolol 100mg which has just been recalled .
Toprol XL 1OO MG started today....
Aspirin 81mg
Hydrocodone/ APAP ...5/500
Levoxyl tab 150MCG
Citalopram
Klor-con 8MEQ  TWO TABS TWICE DAILY
Nitro tabs
Pravastatin 10 MG
Albuterol inhaler
Flovent inhaler

So is it possible..?  I have been drinking lots of water to keep the water up but have still felt thirsty in the middle of the night...
My Doctor will return Friday.. should I wait or try to see another Doctor before then.....?
« Last Edit: 19/03/2009 13:02:30 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Could I have a kidney infection???
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2009 12:13:37 »
Ok Here it is 4:06 Am I am now getting some rather sharp
pains.. kinda twinges in the front area on both sides but am seeming to have to sit a bit crooked....to the right to get relief....

Hey what side is ones appendix on? This has gotten worse since my first post...My daughter had her appendix out and I can"t remember which side.. but urinating relieved her pain and water made it worse.. Not jumping to conclusions.. but I think I will go in at 8:30 for a walk in....with another Doctor...

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/03/2009 12:15:14 »

Hmmm....I hadn't seen this thread before.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/03/2009 12:34:23 »
So that's the left eh... his back is to us..?

Nope its higher up inside the bracket area.. put that bracket on both sides back and front then place hand there at waist and that's where the pain is on the inside front back and sides!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/03/2009 12:35:36 »
No, it's the right side, he is facing us.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2009 12:40:59 »
ok... Hmmm...I think I am going anyway.. I just can't tell but think it is more kidney area.. but there are lots of possibilities..

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/03/2009 12:53:38 »
A simple Google search came up with:

The following are symptoms that you may get with a kidney infection, you may not have all these symptoms, some people with a kidney infection will just feel generally unwell.

A dull ache or pain in the lower back or abdomen.
Pain when passing urine.
Feeling of wanting to pass urine more often than usual and yet having very little urine to pass.
Urine may be dark or cloudy and contain blood.
A high temperature, fever and shivering
Foul smelling urine.
Nausea or vomiting.
Diarrhoea.

People who continue to get kidney infections may develop chronic pyelonephritis. However, this usually only happens if you have another underlying kidney problem such as large kidney stones.

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/kidneyinfection.html

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/03/2009 13:01:38 »
I don't have this:

1. Pain when passing urine.
2. Diarrhoea.

I have had a fever for a couple days off and on.. and the shivers quite a bit like now.. but it is only 67 degrees in here so I should not be too cold. just goose bumpy shivers off and on..
HAve had everything else also.. except the urine goes from dark to lighter back to darker or slightly redder in color..

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/03/2009 19:41:40 »
" you may not have all these symptoms, some people with a kidney infection will just feel generally unwell. "

Time to go to the doctor again I'm afraid.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/03/2009 20:23:27 »
" you may not have all these symptoms, some people with a kidney infection will just feel generally unwell. "

Time to go to the doctor again I'm afraid.

Thanks BC...I have been waiting all morning to get in to see a Doctor.....Its looking like no openings until tomorrow........and I do not want to go to Er...

Yep I do agree..Thanks BC....

Yeah... its so weird.. instead of Diahrea I am constipated.... Whch is why I have increased my water again..Thinking that the water balance may be off . I stil feel dehydrated no mater how much I drink.....although last I posted my Urine was lighter... so far today Or since I have been highly concentrated a dark again....I am still drinking water.. less chance of appenix mor of kidney problem  have had them before.......
that reminds me ..I want to know about kidney Dialysis.. I need to do a forum search!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2009 04:44:00 »
Hey Karen.  Hope you're feeling better.  If they can't get you in tomorrow please don't wait.  Week before last I woke up with a kidney infection on Sunday morning.  I was feeling really unwell and had blood in myurine, but I didn't want to go to ER so I waited till Monday, but couldn't get an appt.  By Tuesday I had a temperature of almost 105 and ended up in the ER anyway. It took days and two hospital trips to get my fever & dehydration under control.

Please get into the ER if the doctor can't see you.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2009 05:09:06 »
Sorry you were so sick...Yes.. no worries...IfI get there tomorrow and they can;t see me..I will scoot all the way to Eureka..I am too uncomfortable..
they told me earlier she should have no problem sliding me into urgent care in the morning very early..so I will call on my way in....and just be there early....

Thanks....My fever has been up and down all day.. down at the moment but I took something to lower the temp a bit ago....

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/03/2009 00:49:08 »
 It seems  I have large amounts of blood in the urine the analysis came back...He said I have an infection...but he is not sure whats infected obviously the kidney is  in trouble,, but he said he has put me on a seven day coarse of levaquin 500MG... WHICH IS A Quinolone! ANTIBIOTIC  he will etreat in 7 days and then add a week more if its still there next week.

My blood pressure was too low again and he has cut  me off and restricted me to bed untill further notice. He said no more exercise no more walking around until  I have recovered from this round...

I have to rest more he said....I am tired of resting though.

I have lab report also..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2009 08:31:26 »
Ok....He assures me I have no kidney stones. and says he is ruling that out.. also says its not galbladder disease because I don't have one... He is going to check my kidney for a tumor... He says with all that's been happening in that department he thinks they may have missed something and wants to see if that might be a possibility... we'll see on Wednesday when I see my own Doctor.. he wants to go over the tests with her also before we do any more other then the antibiotics..

Hey does anyone no how long before the antibiotics kick in and help relieve some of this discomfort?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22/03/2009 10:19:28 »
Can I ask, why don't you have a gallbladder?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22/03/2009 10:42:47 »
Can I ask, why don't you have a gallbladder?

well because in the fdall of 1986 the day before thanksgiving here state side, I had what was anacute gallbladde attack that I at first misdiagnosed as indigestion then woke up in wee hours with what felt like a heart attack..M husband rushed me to hospital to ind out it was my galbladder in a bad way..It was riddled with stones and one large one wedged I the bile duct and stuck..... apparently quite awhile as I ws n surgery within two hours  because I walked out of the ER when they said surgery...I had two small children who needed to have housing while in the Hospital as my husband could not do it . So I went home packed 3 bags, cried and called my MOM. Anyway he removed the whole Galbladder it had become quite  infected and nastyand according to doc had slipped into my lower abdomen area.... e was just in a hurry on the
holiday so I have a huge scar!

Offline 112inky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24/03/2009 12:52:59 »
Do you have blood pressure ? Your legs are swollen?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25/03/2009 06:37:31 »
Had very little swelling this week at all.. last week loads! Blood pressure was low all this last week until last night.. it was up a bit too high last night but came down after my night meds.

My urine seems to be getting some better color wise but still is darker then it should be.. the aching has subsided until the last hour and it has become achy again.... not as bad though.. I have still had a fever last night but gone today so far.

Overall feeling better today which is nice. I have been following Doctors orders.... resting in bed.. today I was up a bit and went outside and sat in the sunshine.
« Last Edit: 25/03/2009 06:41:39 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26/03/2009 02:37:15 »
OK The doctor said they ran a three day culture from last weeks test and it did not show infection although she said  the antibiotics are working to clear the pain and the fever has gone by the wayside. My sides are way better but their is still an ache in both sides when sitting upright to long.. Urgency to urinate is now gone and blood has cleared from the urine.. so hope fully that go away also. We are going to wait and see how it goes!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 26/03/2009 02:37:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums