The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How are migrating birds so punctual?  (Read 14440 times)

Offline Asyncritus

• View Profile
How are migrating birds so punctual?
« Reply #25 on: 24/03/2009 14:31:23 »
thanks for the posts...A quick question to all...Why do the animals hibernate?

The animals hibernate as a designed response to the cold conditions.

Their lack of movement requires no energy expenditure, and their energy supplies decrease very slowly.

Many go on a feeding spree in the autumn, and load up with fat, which acts as an energy store for the winter months. They act as if they know that food shortage season is coming! That's instinctive behaviour, and is open to the questions I asked about the birds, so I won't ask them again.

Their metabolism slows way way down, almost to the point of death, but they conserve energy, which is used up extremely slowly. In some cases, the energy consumption in 7 mths of hibernation ony equals 17% of the annual usage!

Hope that helps.

Async

Variola

« Reply #26 on: 24/03/2009 17:29:59 »
Probably talk to them, do you?

Yes, they are my god. Difference being I can see them and know they exist.

Notice the pronoun? 'Who' - not 'what'. There's a difference.

Sarcasm goes over your head then?

I find this kind of remark obnoxious

Heat, kitchen etc
I find it obnoxious when people refuse to accept that there are other explanations for events and instread carry on crusading for their own cause. But thats what happens on forums.

It sheds no light on the subject in hand, and while it may vent your spleen, I'd rather you go vent it someplace else. I can be as insulting as the worst,

I have pointed out, that you are refusing to accept any answers given, yet you cannot prove your invisible friend exists.Prove to me your god exists and I wil be more than willing to accept he has single handedly engineered the genome in migrating birds. You are arguing from a no-legs viewpoint Asyncritus.

Yeah, I can see the cannibal leaping off the cliff into the ocean, setting off on his 2000 mile journey, if he thought he was a bird, or his 1400 mile journey to Ascension Island if he thought he was a green turtle in Brazil.

??????
And you claim to have read a genetics book????

Would you go with him?

Only if you were there to wave me off Async.

lyner

« Reply #27 on: 25/03/2009 00:05:38 »
Variola
You are wasting your time trying to educate or reform him.
Find some more fruitful threads to make your contributions - you'll enjoy it better.
Part time goddess, eh?

Variola

« Reply #28 on: 25/03/2009 09:23:06 »
Variola
You are wasting your time trying to educate or reform him.
Find some more fruitful threads to make your contributions - you'll enjoy it better

Yeah true, I think I will take your advice  :)

Part time goddess, eh?

Well I try....  ;D

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25/03/2009 10:29:03 »
Why not full time? :)

Variola

« Reply #30 on: 25/03/2009 11:13:20 »
Why not full time? :)

:) I study and I have 3 rugrats, it leaves little time to devote to the art of being goddess-like!

Offline Asyncritus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25/03/2009 13:30:24 »

Probably talk to them, do you?

Yes, they are my god. Difference being I can see them and know they exist.

Well done. If you only believe in things you can see, then I pity you.

Notice the pronoun? 'Who' - not 'what'. There's a difference.

Sarcasm goes over your head then?

It obviously goes over yours!

I find this kind of remark obnoxious

Heat, kitchen etc
I find it obnoxious when people refuse to accept that there are other explanations for events and instread carry on crusading for their own cause. But thats what happens on forums.

You mean, if you lay a rotten egg, I've GOT to eat it, or be subjected to your obnoxiousness?

It sheds no light on the subject in hand, and while it may vent your spleen, I'd rather you go vent it someplace else. I can be as insulting as the worst,

I have pointed out, that you are refusing to accept any answers given, yet you cannot prove your invisible friend exists.Prove to me your god exists and I wil be more than willing to accept he has single handedly engineered the genome in migrating birds. You are arguing from a no-legs viewpoint Asyncritus.

You ever seen Carl Benz? Or Napoleon?

Yeah, I can see the cannibal leaping off the cliff into the ocean, setting off on his 2000 mile journey, if he thought he was a bird, or his 1400 mile journey to Ascension Island if he thought he was a green turtle in Brazil.

??????
And you claim to have read a genetics book????

And you claim to know what sarcasm means?

Would you go with him?

Only if you were there to wave me off Async.

I would, I would, believe me!

But BTW, now we're finished throwing dust in the air, I missed your answer to

a. How did the GPS get into the bird genome?

b. What makes them fly so far?

Come on, goddess. You've got to be cleverer than the ornithological ignorami on the forum.
« Last Edit: 25/03/2009 13:32:00 by Asyncritus »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25/03/2009 16:02:18 »
...yet you cannot prove your invisible friend exists.Prove to me your god exists ...

You ever seen Carl Benz? Or Napoleon?

A lovely little bit of magic there from Async - just beautiful!

Variola

« Reply #33 on: 25/03/2009 17:38:18 »

Not really, its actually a moot point, often brought up in these type of debates by people like Async, which is why I wasn't going to bother answering it. There are validated historical records to show that Napoleon existed, he was a living factual person. I have never seen a million pounds, but I know it exists.
If a blind person can't see a tree, does that mean the tree doesn't exist??

What Async is trying to do is suggest that some diet, of which there is no physical proof whatsoever, has single handedly engineered migrating birds genome.
What I am pointing out is that he demands explanations, refuses them and claims his explanation ofgod is better, yet fails every time to prove god even exists!
I could say that I beleif in pink elephants, and that they engineered the genome, i have never seen a pink elephant, just as no one has ever seen god. Show me the difference? There is none.

lyner

« Reply #34 on: 25/03/2009 23:26:32 »
He just craves attention. Don't give it to him.
GIVE IT TO YOUR RUGRATS - they deserve it!

Offline Asyncritus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26/03/2009 01:27:39 »

Not really, its actually a moot point, often brought up in these type of debates by people like Async, which is why I wasn't going to bother answering it. There are validated historical records to show that Napoleon existed, he was a living factual person. I have never seen a million pounds, but I know it exists.

Absolutely correct point. And your refutation is...?

What Async is trying to do is suggest that some diet, of which there is no physical proof whatsoever, has single handedly engineered migrating birds genome.

I'm still waiting for your better explanation! I think I may have a long wait, but there's hope while there's life. I suppose.

What I am pointing out is that he demands explanations, refuses them and claims his explanation ofgod is better, yet fails every time to prove god even exists!

Not quite. I am demanding VALIDATED,specifically relevant explanations - from the literature, where doubt is not expressed as to whether guess A or B is correct.

Here's a statement of the blinding obvious, and note, no explanation of the origin of the behaviour is offered:

"Furthermore, migration requires genetic instructions (allowing substantial room for learning in some of the traits [the golden plover and the Monarch butterflies make a terrible hash of this piece of nonsense] about timing, duration and distance of migration as well as about behavioural and physiological adaptations (fuelling, organ flexibility, locomotion, use of environmental transport etc) and control of orientation and navigation."
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118834311/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

I could say that I beleif in pink elephants, and that they engineered the genome, i have never seen a pink elephant, just as no one has ever seen god. Show me the difference? There is none.

Can we please adhere to the point without these inane diversions?

You are all being called to account for the origin of the migratory habit of the Capistrano swallows.

This is a science forum, and I don't believe that asking a scientifically valid question about scientifically observed behaviour is unreasonable.

How does the theory of evolution account for the origin of such behaviour? Darwin's book, remember, was 'On the Origin of Species.' So can adherents to his theory please account for the origin of the behaviour? The key word here is ORIGIN.

PS re pink elephants: go here http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=21396.0
« Last Edit: 26/03/2009 02:17:28 by Asyncritus »

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #36 on: 26/03/2009 06:36:36 »
We have already explained this. You are just willfully ignorant. Any IDiot should be able to understand this:

1. Instinct is the result of the structure and function of brains and bodies.
2. Genes produce proteins that control, influence, build, maintain, etc, brains and bodies.
3. Genes are variable because of mutation and recombination.
4. Different gene variations produce different proteins.
5. Different proteins translate genetic differences into differences in phenotype ("appearance"), including behavior, through complex chemical interactions.
6. Some variations are more beneficial than others.
7. Organisms with those beneficial variations are more likely to survive and reproduce in each generation.
8. Survival and reproduction allows beneficial variations to accumulate and be conserved over generations.

Function does not magically appear in the genome. It is produced by changes to the DNA sequence. The only party postulating magical causation here is you.

Your disagreement with the theory of evolution only reflects your own faulty intellect, nothing else.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26/03/2009 08:25:39 »
Async will not be responding this time, as he has been banned.  To many times he was told that his crusading attitude and wilful refusal to engage in the debate would lead to him being banned from the forum, yet he proceeded.

I think it's very telling that he admitted that he would not accept any explanation that didn't include his god - regardless of the weight of evidence behind it.

Variola

« Reply #38 on: 26/03/2009 09:12:57 »
Async will not be responding this time, as he has been banned.  To many times he was told that his crusading attitude and wilful refusal to engage in the debate would lead to him being banned from the forum, yet he proceeded.

I think it's very telling that he admitted that he would not accept any explanation that didn't include his god - regardless of the weight of evidence behind it.

Oop! I hadn't intended to provoke anything like that, if my part did provoke it then I apologise unreservedly.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26/03/2009 09:21:26 »

Hi Variola

I was being ironic! What Async stated here is possibly the most ridiculous argument ever, and is a common answer posited by creationists. I just loved the fact that Async chose to use this, when it is such a useless and fallacious argument.

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
« Reply #40 on: 26/03/2009 09:27:47 »

Hi Variola

I was being ironic! What Async stated here is possibly the most ridiculous argument ever, and is a common answer posited by creationists. I just loved the fact that Async chose to use this, when it is such a useless and fallacious argument.

correct .... i too agree

Variola

« Reply #41 on: 26/03/2009 10:14:18 »
Hi Variola

Oops sorry!!!! Trust me to go wading in with my size 7's!!
Have a virtual slice of cake as a peace offering!!!
I shall go and sit in the corner and look suitably embarrassed now!! [:I] ;D

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26/03/2009 10:22:40 »
Hi Variola

Oops sorry!!!! Trust me to go wading in with my size 7's!!
Have a virtual slice of cake as a peace offering!!!
I shall go and sit in the corner and look suitably embarrassed now!! [:I] ;D

Very much accepted and no harm done! MMn, cake! Black Forest Gateaux too! Don't be embarrassed - come back and join the party!

lyner

« Reply #43 on: 28/03/2009 22:03:51 »
As long as it's cake and not humble pie  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #43 on: 28/03/2009 22:03:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums