The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Geology in Fiction  (Read 6755 times)

Offline johnnybrown09

• First timers
    • View Profile
Geology in Fiction
« on: 20/03/2009 17:16:57 »
How many fiction books have had an emphasis on geology or geologists, and I'm not referring to natural disaster books. It just seems to me geology is one of the most underappreciated and overlooked of the sciences when it comes to fiction. Am I right about that?

I'm a geologist, and since I've written a sci-fi that is "underlain" by geology, I'm wondering how many other fictional works are out there that use geology above and beyond describing a few "rocks" and "outcrops."

Anyone have some choice fictional works they can refer me to?

« Last Edit: 20/03/2009 19:35:26 by JimBob »

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Geology in Fiction
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2009 21:06:15 »
A Journey to the Center of the Earth, by Ju

Ooo, I thought I remembered reading a good one, but that was with an archeologist, not a geologist. They get all the glory, if you ask me. :-)

The below list is from (

Jack DuBrul (author of the Philip Mercer action series - a geologist with all the talents of James Bond and MacGyver who saves the world on an annual basis - these books are a lot of fun - they're like action movies in paperback form!)
Susan Cummins Miller (writes the Frankie MacFarlane mystery series - another geologist who solves murder mysteries - Miller really has the feel for field geology)
Sarah Andrews (writes the Emily "Em" Hansen mystery series - a geologist who solves murder mysteries)

Check out these links:

The Naked Scientists Forum

Geology in Fiction
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2009 21:06:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums