The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: In these days of obesity can a tapeworm infection actually be beneficial?  (Read 13183 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
We live in times of excess and gluttony, eating far more calories than is healthy for us. That being the case, would a tapeworm really do any real harm? In fact, could I market tapeworms as a safe diet aid?

Any takers?

Ethos

We live in times of excess and gluttony, eating far more calories than is healthy for us. That being the case, would a tapeworm really do any real harm? In fact, could I market tapeworms as a safe diet aid?

I have a couple dozen for sale, you interested?

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Are they used? Do I need a pair of extra long forceps to retrieve them?
« Last Edit: 21/03/2009 00:26:01 by John Chapman »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Eww... [xx(]

Interesting idea though. :)

Ethos

Are they used? Do I need a pair of extra long forceps to retrieve them?
Actually, I keep them in my frig.....no need for forceps.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Double yuck and No Thank you!

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile

Actually, I keep them in my fridge.....

No, no, no, no, no!

Ethos, how many time have I got to tell you? Those white round things you put in the fridge a dozen at a time are called eggs.  EGGS!  Tapeworms are the things you pull out of your bum. It's very simple.

Get this right and next week I'll teach you the difference between 'penis' and 'puppy' and which one it's OK to stroke in public.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... would a tapeworm really do any real harm?

Tapeworms can obstruct the bowel ...

Taenia saginata infection is caused by the bovine tapeworm and can be the cause of emergency surgical conditions. We report one case of small bowel obstruction leading to necrosis and another case of large bowel obstruction and volvulus due to an impacted tapeworm.
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0035920306002343

... could I market tapeworms as a safe diet aid?

If your customers disposed of their faeces in the conventional manner they could contaminate the water supply.
This would soon put you out of business as market saturation would ensue: (everyone would have one).

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"could I market tapeworms as a safe diet aid?"
I has been done before (for a given deffinition of "safe").
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/tapeworm.asp

Variola

Any takers?

Ugh!  [B)] Well it might be beneficial to those allergy sufferes with high IgE disposition.

However I think your idea has merit, but instead of ingesting the worms, sprinkle mature worms liberally over high fat foods, that would put off even the most ardent sat fat fan, such as myself.  ;D

Ethos

Tapeworms are the things you pull out of your bum. It's very simple.

I'll assume you're speaking from the voice of experience JC, because frankly, I have never extricated any from my posterior. And to the contrary, such an operation could not be so simple a task considering the angle at which this maneuver must surely be handled. Right????

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is shouldn't be too difficult.

Ethos

Is shouldn't be too difficult.
Alright, gang up on me will you guys. It just ain't fair I say, it just ain't fair. But neither is life and we're stuck with it for the duration. So there, have some fun while it lasts............Ethos

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Yeah! Let's have some fun. :)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile

I have never extricated any from my posterior. And to the contrary, such an operation could not be so simple a task considering the angle at which this maneuver must surely be handled. Right????

I do it all the time. That's how I did my back in. And then I tie the ends together and use them as elastic bands. Sometimes I hide them in your fridge and tell you they're eggs!

Ethos

Sometimes I hide them in your fridge and tell you they're eggs!

Please stay out of my fridge, I keep hazardous material in there!

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
What! You mean my wife does your cooking too?

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Ted Bundy kept body parts in his. That was certainly hazardous to his victims. So, (hoping I don't regret the answer) what do you keep in your fridge?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Any takers?

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuck into my neighbours house at 3am this morning and taped a hundred worms to him. His bound-and-gagged lack of protest confirmed his willing and joy to be able to assist in this worthwhile experiment.

Before the attachment of the worms he was 144lbs....with the worms attached he was 150lbs !.....I think there must be a problem here !!

Ethos

(hoping I don't regret the answer) what do you keep in your fridge?

In honor of your trepidation regarding my reply, I refuse to answer on the grounds it may tend to incriminate yours truly........

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Fantastic!

I've just stumbled across a website that's selling tapeworms as a diet aid. And hookworms! Can you believe that! I've emailed them for prices.

http://wormtherapy.com/products.html

They've stolen my money making idea, the bastards. I'll have to think of something else now.

What about infecting people with African Sleeping Sickness as a cure for insomnia? Or swimming with piranhas for breast and penis reduction?

Can you think of any other ways I can exploit nature for some original quack cures?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
You could make ugly plastic shoes with holes in them against sweaty feet.

Oh wait.. nope...

That's been done too

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Wahay! I've had a reply:

Quote from: Email to Worm Therapy

I am interested in one of your tapeworms for weight loss. How do I get rid of it when I've finished with it? Do you supply by mail order and can you supply to the UK? Please let me know the price. Many thanks, John Chapman

Quote from: Reply from Worm Therapy

The worm can be eliminated by a single treatment of praziquantel which is around 99% effective. We can ship to the UK. The average price is $2,000.00 USD but can be more or less depending upon the amount of weight you want to lose.

Sincerely,

Garin Aglietti
www.wormtherapy.com
888-898-WORM

2 grand and there's a 1% chance it won't go away when I'm done!

The company is based in Mexico because, apparently, the FDA won't let them operate out of the USA. For 2 Grand you could fly to Mexico, chew on some contaminated meat and get the same result with a free holiday thrown in. And to help you lose weight you could probably get a dose of dysentery thrown in. And if you are in to adventure holidays it's always worth remembering that Mexico is the world's No.1 place for kidnappings!

Well I'm up for it.
« Last Edit: 25/08/2009 22:58:12 by John Chapman »

Offline gogo

• First timers
    • View Profile
ETHOS - are you really serious about having tapeworm eggs in your refrigerator?  Will you please tell me more about that?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums