The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does human papilloma virus cause cervical cancer?  (Read 8318 times)

Offline SETF

• heya
    • View Profile
Hi.

With regards to the HP virus which causes cervical cancers; I am told these risks appear after sexual contact.

1)What are the/ are there studies that show, that on a long term, copulation leads to cervical cancer.

2)If copulation is not necessarily the sole inductor of HPv infection, what else can be the case in contracting an HPV infection?
« Last Edit: 22/03/2009 22:01:55 by chris »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How does human papilloma virus cause cervical cancer?
« Reply #1 on: 21/03/2009 08:21:21 »
Genital HPV infections are very common and are sexually transmitted. Of the more than 100 types of HPV, more than 30 types can be passed from one person to another through sexual contact. Although HPVs are usually transmitted sexually, doctors cannot say for certain when infection occurred. Most HPV infections occur without any symptoms and go away without any treatment over the course of a few years. However, HPV infection sometimes persists for many years, with or without causing cell abnormalities. This can increase a womanís risk of developing cervical cancer.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/HPV

Because the main route of transmission of the HPV strains that cause cervical cancer is through sexual intercourse...

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2009/03/18/behind-the-headlines-hpv-vaccines-and-cervical-cancer/

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2009 18:27:32 »
 Here's a quote from that same organisation's website.
"A study done in 1950 found that woman who married before the age of 20 had twice the risk of developing cervical cancer than those who married later.  Another study done in 1952 of 13,000 nuns found no cases of cervical cancer. "
I believe it was the study in nuns that first highlighted the link.

Offline SETF

• heya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2009 20:46:41 »
Another study done in 1952 of 13,000 nuns found no cases of cervical cancer. "

that was interesting.

Thank you both.

Do you know of any sites that can link/ disprove HPV infection with masturbation whether its done in a pair or just the individual?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
How does human papilloma virus cause cervical cancer?
« Reply #5 on: 22/03/2009 23:52:47 »
Apart from nuns as low cervical cancer risk groups, early evidence for a transmissible cause of cervical cancer emerged from studies on religious groups and specifically those that circumcise their men.

Jewish and muslim groups tended to have much lower rates of cervical cancer, an effect mirrored in certain demographics in the USA today. It has subsequently been shown that circumcision is strongly protective against cervical cancer because the circumcised penis is less prone to HPV carriage.

Interestingly, the same mechanisms accounts for reduced HIV risk too.

As far as acquisition of HPV goes, it is certainly true that you don't need to have intercourse to become infected. A cohort sequential study on young girls in America showed that even before some of the participants lost their virginity they were already testing positive for certain HPV types. The likely route is fingers and fomites (items or things, including sex toys). Basically, if say a boy who is shedding HPV touches himself and then the girl, she can become infected. This probably explains why condoms are less effective at preventing HPV transmission that you might expect - because virus on the skin surface of the penis can be transferred to the surface of the condom by fingers during application. Unfortunately for serial sex parties, this means that only abstinence or monogamy (or marriage and children, which effectively results in both) can prevent infection.

Chris

Offline ml66uk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/07/2010 04:53:08 »
newbielink:http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar03feb-11.pdf [nonactive] in the Israeli Medical Association Journal discusses male circumcision and cervical cancer at length and says the following:

"Although the dispute over the association of circumcision and cervical cancer in various populations is still ongoing, there seems to be no hard evidence that circumcision prevents its occurrence in Jewish women, and it is no longer considered to play a protective role."

Offline TomWale

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/10/2010 15:14:41 »
Well, I tried for myself many methods and pieces of advice. All I can say Ė you should try yourself every one of them. Unfortunately, whatís meat for one is poison for another. I found my way of fighting these ugly papillomas on newbielink:http://papillomasfree.com/ [nonactive] (itís not an ad), but itís what was best for me.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 08/10/2010 15:14:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums