The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do We Talk To Ourselves ?  (Read 6935 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Do We Talk To Ourselves ?
« on: 22/03/2009 13:11:12 »
Dearest Luffley Science Peeps Of Degree Owning Luff & Made From Klevur Ingredients,

As A sheepy I never talk to myself...Well, at least I don't think I do...do I ?..I don't know !...

Some people say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness ?..is it ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I just stood in front of the mirror and asked myself the question !..the answer I received was somewhat unbecoming of a noble sheepy !!

So, can ewe talk to me instead ?

Thanks

Neil
I Don't Talk To Myself ..."yes ewe do "...DOH !!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Variola

« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2009 13:25:58 »
Some people say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness ?..is it ?

I do it because I a m the only one who understand the twaddle I come out with!

Best guess..we 'talk' to ourselves all the time within the process of thinking. Some of us express is verbally to ourselves to better make sense of our thoughts. We encode sound that enters the brain very successfully, which is why we often find ourselves singing the words to a song we haven't heard in years.

Other guess.... I am a fruitloop, as is everyone esle that talks to themselves.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/03/2009 13:57:45 »
I think I do it most when I'm thinking; saying things out loud keeps you on track, whereas when I just think in my head, i go off on to tangents then immediately forget what marvellous idea I had just come up with!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/03/2009 14:01:47 »
Talking out loud reinforces ideas. One of the great educational psychologists discusses using at least three 'senses' to create 'memory' (eg reading, writing and hearing.. or thinking, speaking and hearing, as the case may be)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/03/2009 14:07:28 »

I do it because I a m the only one who understand the twaddle I come out with!I'm sorry, I don't understand this !!  ;) ;)

Best guess..we 'talk' to ourselves all the time within the process of thinking. Some of us express is verbally to ourselves to better make sense of our thoughts. We encode sound that enters the brain very successfully, which is why we often find ourselves singing the words to a song we haven't heard in years. So I wonder if it is important then that we do actually talk to ourselves ?

Other guess.... I am a fruitloop, as is everyone esle that talks to themselves. Yep, you're nuts alright !  ;D...you'll find many here..not me though....i'm " normal"  (well, that's what nursey says as she bedbaths me and gives me my medicine !)

THANKS VARIOLA and welcome to the site !  :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/03/2009 14:08:21 »
I talk to myself because I am the only person who will listen to me and actually talk back!!!

Sorry...wasn't listening !!  ;D ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/03/2009 14:10:24 »
I think I do it most when I'm thinking; saying things out loud keeps you on track, whereas when I just think in my head, i go off on to tangents then immediately forget what marvellous idea I had just come up with!

Thanks Fishytails ...so...in a way..talking to ourselves acts like train tracks...keeping us ' on track ' without deviation....nice !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/03/2009 14:13:25 »
Talking out loud reinforces ideas. One of the great educational psychologists discusses using at least three 'senses' to create 'memory' (eg reading, writing and hearing.. or thinking, speaking and hearing, as the case may be)

Thank Ewe JnA ....so it's like a vocal foundation to a cranial thought....brill !....the idea of speaking is beginning to sound ' sane ' rather than insane...you have to think to speak and you hear your own speech too...this must reinforce very well.

Variola

« Reply #8 on: 22/03/2009 14:34:17 »
THANKS VARIOLA and welcome to the site !  cheesy

You are welcome.. and thankyou  ;D

Aren't you flash, using different colours and texts and typing inside a quote box to answer.. tell me. when you are not being a sheep...do you get out much??  :P

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/03/2009 14:40:42 »
THANKS VARIOLA and welcome to the site !  cheesy

You are welcome.. and thankyou  ;D

Aren't you flash, using different colours and texts and typing inside a quote box to answer.. tell me. when you are not being a sheep...do you get out much??  :P

You'll soon figure out how to do all the fonty posting stuff !

In answer to your last question.....I wish I did....is that an open invitation to wonderful east sussex ?..is there good grazing down there ?  ;)

Variola

« Reply #10 on: 22/03/2009 14:56:10 »
In answer to your last question.....I wish I did....is that an open invitation to wonderful east sussex ?..is there good grazing down there ?  wink
#
Indeed there is  :) Its a beautiful day down here, I may even potter about in the garden, middle age seem to be approaching me fast when I say things like that!

Where abouts is your field in the great scheme of things on the farm??

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/03/2009 16:36:54 »
You'll just encourage him!

Variola

« Reply #12 on: 22/03/2009 17:41:04 »
You'll just encourage him!

I get the impression he doesn't need encouragement! :o)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2009 19:16:49 »
In answer to your last question.....I wish I did....is that an open invitation to wonderful east sussex ?..is there good grazing down there ?  wink
#
Indeed there is  :) Its a beautiful day down here, I may even potter about in the garden, middle age seem to be approaching me fast when I say things like that!

Where abouts is your field in the great scheme of things on the farm??

I DO need encouragement to get out more !!

I'm in Barnet, North London/Herts.

Variola

« Reply #14 on: 22/03/2009 19:57:24 »

They have sheep in London??? Shouldn't that be Baaaanet?? ( sorry I know its bad, but its early yet!)

Being a small pathogenic microbe I don't get out of my petri dish much either.  ;D

whats this glow thing do?

and teletype??

Purple is so much more me

Variola

« Reply #15 on: 22/03/2009 20:00:04 »

They have sheep in London??? Shouldn't that be Baaaanet?? ( sorry I know its bad, but its early yet!)

Being a small pathogenic microbe I don't get out of my petri dish much either.  ;D

and teletype??

Well the teletype was disappointing... whats the point of it??

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22/03/2009 23:36:46 »

and teletype??

To make people think they are back in the 70's when Grandstand used to display the football results using a telepype type thing !! ;)

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #17 on: 22/03/2009 23:49:57 »

and teletype??

Interesting... I've made 500+ posts and never noticed the 'glow' or teletype options!

Teletype may be a bit old fashioned, but, like "Courier" or "Courier New" typefaces it is a monospaced font - that is, all the letters are the same width. This can be useful if you're trying to knock up a quick table of numbers in columns when you want them to line up, or if you have the sudden desire to do ASCII art (remember that?).

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #18 on: 22/03/2009 23:56:16 »

I think I when I talk out loud it is mostly to try to remember/reinforce something (as in "I must remember to put the bin out" this evening) or in the middle of doing a thought process involving a equation or detailed method or something like that.

Sometimes if I'm composing an email or board message I'll speak "trial versions" of the sentence out loud to mull over how it sounds or whether it could be put better.

Occasionally I fear I talk to myself with a semi-sub-conscious motive to convey some message to those around me... but I doubt this often does me any favours or achieves the rather poorly defined aim... Madness indeed!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23/03/2009 03:48:28 »
Sports people do it all the time, mostly I think to calm themselves and to gain confidence and generally to enhance their proformances.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #20 on: 23/03/2009 09:26:22 »
I do it because I a m the only one who understand the twaddle I come out with!

Think yourself lucky, I usually haven't got the faintest idea as to what I'm babbling about myself. This is the reason I prefer to talk to others, in the hope, albeit futile, that they will be able to enlighten me as to the meaning of my verbal activities.

Sometimes my mind wanders, most times it leaves me completely.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23/03/2009 09:28:18 »
At least you're honest...

Variola

« Reply #22 on: 23/03/2009 09:52:27 »
Think yourself lucky, I usually haven't got the faintest idea as to what I'm babbling about myself. This is the reason I prefer to talk to others, in the hope, albeit futile, that they will be able to enlighten me as to the meaning of my verbal activities.

Sometimes my mind wanders, most times it leaves me completely.

;D I think I only pretend to understand what I am on about, I guess it depends what topic its on. If its on which is the nicest, danish pastries or iced buns, then I hear the discussion quite clearly.
However if its repeating which amino acid has a chiral carbon, ( in order to help with revision) somehow what I have just read and repeated to myself floats out of my ears.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #22 on: 23/03/2009 09:52:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums