The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do We Have Only 23 Pairs Of Chomosones Yet Crabby Has 254 ??  (Read 3179 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Chromosoneologits ,

As a sheepy I am highly evolved, I am sentient and know my place...

..Chromosomes are those things in our body that contain DNA, the body's hereditary information.

Take a look at Crabby here ( A hermit Crab....soooooooooooo cute)

Nice eh ?  100 of them being delivered next Tuesday for insertion into my neighbour underpants !

Ewe humans have 23 pairs in each cell but Crabby has 254 !!!!....254 !!...how come ?...how much more hereditary info does Crabby receive and need to impart over and above ewe humans ?....why ?

Does this mean Crabby is highly evolved ?

Whjafink?

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

neil
I've Got Crabs
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 22/03/2009 13:51:07 by neilep »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
More isnt necessarily better, someone with downs syndrome has an extra chromosome 22, i think.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
More isnt necessarily better, someone with downs syndrome has an extra chromosome 22, i think.

But we have 23 !.....if we had 254 would we all live in a shell ?

Variola

But we have 23 !.....if we had 254 would we all live in a shell ?

Downs Syndrome is cause by having an extra copy of chromosome 21, instead of the normal 2 pairs they have an extra one, or part of one caused by allele translocation.

Some viruses have as little as 3 or 4 genes, making them slimine mean machines, yet they are supreme at causing disese.
The answer is that the same gene can code for more than one protein, so virus and bacteria can effectively reuse the same gene but by promoting various parts of the gene to be expressed at different times they can cut down the need to carry extra DNA/RNA.( i think thats how it works!)

C-value paradox, is where the amount of eukaryotic DNA bear no relation to the percieved complexity of an organism.
 Who is to say we are more complex than a crab?? :o) So far its thought thst only about 10% if our DNA codes for proteins, although whether any of that is reused as in the case of microbes I dont know/can't remember ( I may have fallen asleep at that point in the lecture!) and the other 90% is referred to as 'junk', but shows some similarities to retroviral DNA, suggesting it could have been conserved through evolution from some previous widepsread infection.

Have a google for c value paradox, there might be something that explains it better than my mumblings.

-------

Actually thats not a bad site, but it depends how much you like your molecular genetics! :o)

EDIT Just realised the link I posted didnt come up!!

http://bssv01.lancs.ac.uk/ADS/BIOS336/336L1.html
« Last Edit: 23/03/2009 09:04:15 by Variola »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Isn't it to do with the age of the species: the older it is the bigger its genome, (more time to accumulate junk).
« Last Edit: 22/03/2009 23:30:44 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums