The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I find a geology mentor?  (Read 8251 times)

Offline ecm

• First timers
    • View Profile
How can I find a geology mentor?
« on: 23/03/2009 05:36:12 »
I am a student in the early stages of becoming a geologist. I registered with mentornet.net hoping to find a mentor in the geology field; however, there are no geology/Earth science mentors available. My only affiliation with mentornet is that I just registered to be a protege. I have lots of guidance related questions but no one qualified to answer them. It is my hope that this post will create a geology mentor for me (and the others if there are any).
« Last Edit: 10/04/2009 11:03:13 by chris »

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: How can I find a geology mentor?
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2009 18:40:02 »
May I suggest simply asking your questions here on this forum? There are several brilliant geologists that could give you guidance without the bother of having to sign up on another website.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2009 18:53:02 »
I agree with Evie-
Tell us a bit more about yourself, your interests in geology, and feel free to ask any questions on the forum. 

Evie is also right that there is at least one brilliant geologist on this forum (the other one lives in Texas);D ;D

At any rate, Welcome ecm!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2009 18:54:49 »
Yep, ask away. I am one of the dumb ones but I know the oil & gas industry and a bit about a lot of things.

Offline ecm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2009 04:59:20 »
Thanks for being willing to answer my questions. Sorry I have taken as long as I have to get back. Just so that you know, this is my first time really using a forum like this so if I do something odd you'll know why. At this point the degree I plan to work on is a BS in geology. I am still just working on the technical courses at a community college prior to transferring to a 4 year university and start my major courses.
*I am looking for summer work that would at least keep me in the general area of my future degree, but since I haven't really taken anything but a generic Earth science course, generic geology course, and my general chemistry. Do you think there is anything out there that would be appropriate? Where to look? or should I just get some other non related job at this point? 
*I have been planning to transfer to the university in the fall of 2010 but then I read that the school recommends that I take 2 other math courses and another physics course prior to transferring. Of course they also say that I can transfer before hand too. Should I stay at the community college and take the other courses with the addition of some engineering courses (Do you think the engineering courses would even be beneficial?) or should I skip the engineering and take the other math and physics courses at the U? From my understanding, the pros of staying at the community college would be: It is closer to where I live, less expensive, parking would be less complicated, and I would have all of the recommended courses at the time of transfer. The cons of staying at community college: more time in school, take longer to get to my major courses, and I will have been at a 2 year school for 22years. The pros of transferring in the fall of 2010: start taking my major courses,...that's about all I can think of. The cons of transferring in the fall of 2010: i have no idea what the consequences would be and that scares the crap out of me. 
I'm not getting any younger, and I would like to be in the workforce before my kids hit college. I'm in a hurry to be done with school, but I want a valuable degree, so I can actually afford to send my kids to college, pay off my student loans, and still have food to eat. Will a BS in Geology make me employable?
Okay, there's my rant of feelings of terror. If you are a geologist what recommendations would you give me? Is there anything that you would have done differently? What should I do?
Thanks so much.

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2009 06:04:41 »
Im working on a BS in Geology as well, and Ive recently come from a community college to a university.  I was short on pre-reqs coming in, and its taken me a while to catch up - but I think it was worth it.  I thought that the university standards would still be in the same ballpark as my community college...I was very wrong, and Im glad that I had some time to adjust before I started my upper division work.

The experience is also well worth it.  If you can financially handle it (I wouldnt plan on working full time) then I would jump into it head first. 

The university in question wouldnt happen to be UT, would it?  ;D

Offline ecm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/04/2009 07:14:12 »
I'm planning on IT at University of MN. I have been on the phone this evening with one of my friends who goes to the U already, and she is telling me to call the U tomorrow to see if it's too early (for me) to apply for this fall!?! A bunch of my friends transferred this past fall, and their advisers told them that they should have transferred earlier. I haven't worked full time since I quit my job in 2005; however, I have worked part time at my school as a tutor. I suppose there are positions similar at the U as well. I am terrified of transferring. My group of friends that transferred this past fall haven't adjusted very well. They say it's because they have had to take too many classes because they transferred so late. How far into your degree are you?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/2009 19:26:33 »
Hi ecm,

Without any geologic training the closest you might get to the oil business might be pumping gas at a service station, if there are any left.

But seriously, the best way is to go to a company that might have some bearing on your future studies and asking what you can do this summer. Often, at your stage, just being around the people who are doing something related to what your future holds will allow you to ask questions and learn that way. You don't need to be doing the job you want to do. Education is much more than the subject you specialize in at school.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/2009 21:49:10 »
ecm-

I agree with JimBob- but I would widen your search a bit further.  Businesses in several related fields look for manual labor during the summer months.  Geophysical and goechemical surveys come immediately to mind, but you might also be able to find temporary employment with surveyors, environmental companies, land companies, etc.  Look for related businesses in the part of geology that interests you the most.

As far as whether or not to transfer- my first impression is to say "Jump in with both feet".  Of course, other circumstances, such as finances, where you are living, family, possible jobs, etc. may be overriding concerns in making that decision.

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2009 22:08:56 »
Almost daily we have petroleum and environmental companies that come to the college looking for interns for the summer.  I would imagine your university would have something similar.  Many of the internships are for Juniors and above, but there are still plenty of companies that want to hire lower division undergrads.

...and btw, JimBob and Bass together are a compendium of geologic knowledge.  Not many geologists can say, "...and I remember when that formation was deposited..."
« Last Edit: 02/04/2009 22:15:58 by frethack »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2009 23:33:30 »
Nor can many say they were there when life was formed, Either - and don't forget Evie. She has an extensive knowledge of geology covering areas of geology a mining geologist and a petroleum geologist just never get exposed to in their practice.

frethak is just being an arse. I wonder who his role model was?

Offline ecm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/04/2009 00:25:38 »
You guys are my new best friends.

I spoke with the admissions counselor at the university today, and he said to give community college another year before applying to get my math and physics out of the way. :( That's fine though because I head up the science club at my school and there is still a lot I want to do with the club. What do you guys think about the engineering courses?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/04/2009 01:35:15 »
You need to do the math first. Calculus is intergral to engineering - be quiet, frethac - I know it is a pun.

And it integrals and differentials will likely be easier in Community college.
Any comment of the idea of Leibniz and Newton, frethac?

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/04/2009 02:12:59 »
...and btw, JimBob and Bass together are a compendium of geologic knowledge.  Not many geologists can say, "...and I remember when that formation was deposited..."

AWWWW Geez....

(looks down and scuffs dirt with toe of boot)

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/04/2009 06:20:45 »
What do you guys think about the engineering courses?

Havent started them yet.  I start engineering physics in the fall, and from what I hear its a bear of a course.

And JimBob speaks truth about calculus (if you havent taken it yet).  It WOULD be easier at the college rather than the university.  Im fighting a losing battle as we speak...it took me 8 hours to finish the introduction to integrals homework yesterday.  Then I get to class and up comes the Fundamental Theory of Calculus, which would have taken 6 hours off of my homework.  Ugh.

Dont get me wrong...the university is great...hehehe

frethak is just being an arse. I wonder who his role model was?

Role model?  Well...theres this acerbic geologist that I know...  ;D
« Last Edit: 03/04/2009 06:26:10 by frethack »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/04/2009 17:00:50 »
If you can't recognize my greatness, frethac - suffer!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 03/04/2009 17:00:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums