The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WHY CAN WE MOVE IN AN OPEN SPACE?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Geerbuckzzz

• View Profile
WHY CAN WE MOVE IN AN OPEN SPACE?
« on: 23/03/2009 08:04:11 »
Hi guys I am just new here and I don't know if my topic would make any sense. I also do not think that I do really belong here since this question is the result of my anxiety and excessive thinking over this "ultimate reality" that we are in now. Thanks!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2009 08:17:35 »
Never fear, I'm sure you belong here. :)
In fact, you might just want to get your running boot ready....

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2009 11:52:48 »
We can move in open space because we are able to cause some action in the opposite direction from our desired direction of movement.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2009 12:17:37 »
Hi guys I am just new here and I don't know if my topic would make any sense. I also do not think that I do really belong here since this question is the result of my anxiety and excessive thinking over this "ultimate reality" that we are in now. Thanks!

Wocha Geerbuckzzz....chillax !!

I agree with Vern...(Chemisrty4me is also right as there is a TNS running club)

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuck into my neighbours house and he did not protest as I sedated him and then taped his mouth whilst bundling him into a sack.. I drove to an open space and left him there.....from a distance I could easily see that he was moving......to test this further I covered him in jam and placed him atop an ants nest......yep...he was moving !....all is good.......His cries of excitement and joy just proved to me his delight in assisting me with this research.

Offline Geerbuckzzz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/03/2009 12:41:35 »
We can move in open space because we are able to cause some action in the opposite direction from our desired direction of movement.

Hi. will you or someone else available kindly elaborate this? I don't mean to offend but I really just don't know. Thanks for understanding. =)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/03/2009 12:54:58 »
Ok, I'm not so clued up on this so I am sure a more elaborated answer will come....but..say you're floating in space and you start kicking out....even though there is nothing physically that you are kicking against , your body itself will react in the opposite direction of your kick..... as you kick out...you are also moving your body away from the kick.....

I think this is what Vern was saying...now...all we need to know is why !

Offline alansm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/03/2009 13:03:26 »
Great Question.
I think itís 'time' that makes movement possible. Without time Space would be solid!

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #7 on: 23/03/2009 13:58:02 »
Quote from: Geerbuckzzz
Hi. will you or someone else available kindly elaborate this? I don't mean to offend but I really just don't know. Thanks for understanding. =)
In open space we can act upon something we have with us. In a rocket, we have rocket fuel which we cause to explode away in the opposite direction from our desired direction of movement. In effect we pushed against the rocket propellent to move the rocket. The propellent then moves off in the opposite direction.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #8 on: 23/03/2009 15:06:53 »
We can move in 'open' space because there is 'other' space that we don't already occupy that we can move in to.  If there wasn't any 'other' space - just the space that we already occupy - then we couldn't move in to it.

Offline Geerbuckzzz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23/03/2009 15:36:04 »
Thank you guys for your responses! Because honestly, (and I'm not ashamed to say this) but this kind of idea literally torments my mind and I do think I have obsessive thinking disorders or what not. I was just thinking that we have to be thankful there is space that we can be able to move on. I just do hope I won't dwell anymore on the whys and hows of space because it just makes me nuts!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 23/03/2009 15:36:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums