The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does gaze direction give away what someone is thinking?  (Read 2596 times)

ME

ME  asked the Naked Scientists:

Your statement the harder the question the more likely you will look left or right depending on if the question is visual or language based.  If I understand properly this study says that the eye movement has nothing to do with telling the truth or lying (recall or creativity) it is the difficulty of the question. 

I was told and not that I believe everything someone says all the time.  But, I have heard that police also use LEM's to determine if someone is lying. If your lying you look one direction and are recalling if you look the other.  Does this new research void the theory?

If it does in some cases have to do with truth and lying, does it only work under specific conditions?

Angie 

What do you think?

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
Does gaze direction give away what someone is thinking?
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2009 09:00:25 »
some times it happens

blakestyger

« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2009 11:13:20 »
You are right - there are some theories that say you can tell what's going on by which direction someone's eyes move to when asked a question: left, right, center, top bottom.

I took this on board when I started to have to sit in on police interviews; there are several web sites devoted to this which you could google - but there is a caveat that, taken on it's own, this technique does not provide a quick fix. In my experience it doesn't always work; some people are such accomplished liars they can instinctively do the 'right' thing with the eyes.

One technique is to give the interviewee something to drink - if they put the cup down centrally between themselves and the interviewer then it can be interpreted that they have something to hide. I have yet to see this work in practice.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2009 11:13:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums