The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: That strange smell  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Les the Scientist

• View Profile
That strange smell
« on: 27/05/2005 23:23:04 »
This is going to virtually impossible to describe, but I occasionally smell something similar to that fresh smell down at the seaside.  The weird thing is it almost has a 'feeling' to it as well.  Like the strange static build up you can almost sense before a really big thunderstorm.  I'm sure someone once told me it was something to do with ozone but maybe I'm just making that up :o/  Anyway, the smell only ever seems to be present at two times, dawn and dusk.  Even then I think I've smelt it about 3 times in the past year.  Am I going mental ?  :D

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: That strange smell
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2005 09:25:45 »
Well Les,  Another name for a senti-mentalist is a perfumed lunatic perhaps?

As an early bird at times, and having been out in the sticks in the early an late hours, I am wandering, is it the smell you get after a rain has fallen after a long dry spell, kinda like being down by the river when in full flow. An earthy musty smell, like a freshly dug garden? Sometimes you can even smell it driving after a storm.

I have noticed a smell many times over the years and attributed it to dust particles being atomised and lifted into the air, caused by the sudden down rush of air from the storm, but this never did make much sense come to think of it. Another thought was that the sudden rush of water from a storm caused plants to flush out their systems with clean water releasing huge amounts of oxygen into the air. Living on the coast in Devon, it is not quite like the sea but a similar refreshing reviltilising odour playing on a distant memory.

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2005 12:55:41 »
I know the sensation, im living at the coast at the moment. Could it have something to do with atmospheric pressure and the quality of the air? Sea air is really clean and fairly free of dust etc. I imagine that dirt would be affected by the charge in a thunderstorm too. Plus barometric pressure is going to be different in a thunderstorm and at the coast... you get that "heavy" air sensation before thunderstorms... Would be good if someone had an actual science answer for this :D

wOw the world spins?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2005 12:55:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums