The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: eat soap!! :S  (Read 19910 times)

Offline Gregorian

• View Profile
eat soap!! :S
« on: 27/03/2009 03:34:08 »
Hello..

A lot of people love to eat soap ::) ??? ??? ??????

anyways.. does soap dissolve the fats in these ppl's bodies since it is mostly non-polar?
what hazards are affiliated with this strange act? 
« Last Edit: 27/03/2009 03:51:28 by Gregorian »

Ethos

« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2009 04:32:41 »
Hello..

anyways.. does soap dissolve the fats in these ppl's bodies since it is mostly non-polar?
I wouldn't recommend the consumption of soap. It is rather high in basic PH which means it will neutralize the acidic nature of stomach fluids. This may not always cause immediate distress but might interfere with digestive processes if used on a regular bases.

On the lighter side; I couldn't help but think about the old 40's song:

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I fear that I may just have givin away my age with that last revelation...........Ethos
« Last Edit: 27/03/2009 04:36:38 by Ethos »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/03/2009 04:35:27 »
What you describe is called pica, an eating disorder where people frequently eat non-nutritive (non-food) substances. Depending on what a person eats, pica can be very dangerous. Ingesting dangerous substances or large amounts of some substances can lead to medical problems, including poisoning. There is also a risk of infection resulting from some substances, such as soil, and stomach problems including constipation, and other issues.

Fortunately, in your case soap is not a very dangerous substance, though in large amounts over time it could disrupt your health. Soap is generally non-toxic and should not lead to poisoning. However, it can cause diarrhea, vomiting or skin irritation.

The causes of pica are not known but some suggest that the following may contribute to the desire to eat non-food items:

Nutritional deficiencies. Some speculate that pica is your body's way of telling you that you are missing some important nutrient. Iron, calcium, zinc, and vitamins C & D deficiencies have been found in people with pica.
Culture and family influences. There is some suggestion that certain cultures and social groups accept eating non-food substances. Also, if your parents encouraged this as a child, you may still have the urge to eat these substances.
Stress. The desire to eat non-food substances may be a coping strategy for stress.
Underlying biochemical disorder. In some cases, pica may result from chemical imbalances in your brain.
You mentioned that eating soap makes you feel good when you're stressed. This could be a sign that your stress level is too high and your body is reacting by craving soap. You could consider finding alternative ways to deal with your stress. See Stress, anxiety and learning to cope and Number one cause of stress for some tips on other ways to combat stress.

Pica is rare in adolescents and adults, and can be the sign of other medical issues including nutrition deficiencies so you should consider contacting a health care professional to help figure out what might be causing this behavior.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/7337.html

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 27/03/2009 10:08:31 »
I know of a number of people who ought to eat soap, dirty foul mouthed f***ing bo****k faced bas***ds!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/03/2009 11:14:45 »
Hello..

I wouldn't recommend the consumption of soap. It is rather high in basic PH which means it will neutralize the acidic nature of stomach fluids. This may not always cause immediate distress but might interfere with digestive processes if used on a regular bases.

On the lighter side; I couldn't help but think about the old 40's song:

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I fear that I may just have givin away my age with that last revelation...........Ethos

"Im Forever Blowing Bubbles " circa 1840 ?  ;)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 27/03/2009 11:53:21 »
"Im Forever Blowing Bubbles " circa 1840 ?  ;)

That's right Neil, twenty to seven......... Actually I think the song dates from 1920 or thereabout.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #6 on: 27/03/2009 14:38:12 »
I don't think a difference of forty minutes is really significant.

Offline Pixie

• First timers
  • Just This side Of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27/03/2009 16:43:34 »
I know of a number of people who ought to eat soap, dirty foul mouthed f***ing bo****k faced bas***ds!

lol!

My English teacher ate Rose scented soap when she was pregnant. She sat with a little bar of it at her desk all the time! I saw her a few years ago and she said that her next pregnancy was dominated by the (more common!) pickle! Very odd!

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2009 03:36:10 »
If you eat soap you could get soap bubbles in your stomach. Then the soap bubbles could get into your blood stream. Then those bubbles could get into your joints. Then you get the bends and die.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/04/2009 06:49:21 »
Serious?

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
« Reply #10 on: 06/04/2009 08:26:18 »
 :-\

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
« Reply #11 on: 09/04/2009 00:50:29 »
I knew this kid that couldn't read. And he saw a dish soap with a picture of lemons on it. And he thought it was lemonade mix. And he mixed up a big glass and drank it. They had to use a pressure chamber to save him. Serious! Like, yeah.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09/04/2009 06:14:20 »
Ouch!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09/04/2009 16:24:40 »
I knew this kid that couldn't read. And he saw a dish soap with a picture of lemons on it. And he thought it was lemonade mix. And he mixed up a big glass and drank it. They had to use a pressure chamber to save him. Serious! Like, yeah.

Bollocks.
For a start, as soon as the soap hits the stomach acids it is converted into a mixture of sodium chloride and the free fatty acids.
These acids are not particulalry toxic since they are the first step in the digestion of  fats (the other product being glycerine).

Also we know what the effect of gas bubbles in the gut is- it's called burping. If you get bubbles in your blood it can certainly kill you, but how would the bubbles cross through the wall of the stomach into the blood?

Eating soap is likely to upset the stomach a bit, but it won't kill you.

Wake up and smell the coffee; if this stuff were that toxic it wouldn't be on the market because the lawyers would have had a field day.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/04/2009 04:12:01 »
Hmmm...I guess I should have paid attention to the name of this board. :P

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
« Reply #15 on: 11/04/2009 13:44:02 »
I'm sorry Bored Chemist but I was joking. I'd also like to thank Chemistry4me for pointing out my silliness.

Yes ladies and gentlemen I posted two nonsense claims. Eating soap leads to diarrhea, not death by the bends. Soap in your GI tract is irritating and it moves through system quickly.

That is true. You can get a mild upset from consuming soap, not death by the bends. Do not rush to your nearest naval facility if you have consumed soap. Instead remain close to the loo in case of trouble.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 11/04/2009 13:44:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums