The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Poor Eye Sight?  (Read 8335 times)

Offline goofkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/cooldanyal/science_ideas.html
Poor Eye Sight?
« on: 28/05/2005 02:52:56 »

[?]                  [?]                  [?]

I don't know if this is a myth or actually works. But during my lifetime, I have seen a lot of people who believe and try this (old and young).

What is said is that, if you have weak eye sight, you should get up  before the sun rises (around 4:30-5:30 AM), and walk barefoot on morning grass (dew) - abt 10-15 minutes daily. This is believed by some to improve the eye sight over time.  

And if this doesn't work, then hey! Dawn air is the best to breath (or so i heard). ;)

Goofkid

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Eye Sight?
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2005 09:59:32 »
Interesting.

I have conducted some studies into assisting people with neurological conditions mainly. The principle of the study was to tilt the bed so that your head is higher than your feet. One of the spin off's was that quite a few people noticed eyesight improvements, and some were pretty amazing.
Tilting the bed addresses the huge number of health problems known to be made worse by staying in bed for long periods. So it is no surprising that getting out of a flat bed in the early hours has a beneficial effect on eyesight. There may be a lot more truth in your post than you realise.

Andrew

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline goofkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/cooldanyal/science_ideas.html
« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2005 21:28:14 »
Lol..:D.that's interesting. It kind of "fits."

Goofkid

Offline blind_dog

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2005 11:14:34 »
Stumbled on this when I was looking for resources about poor eyesight.  More appropriately the cost of vision correction.  I have been, I'm afraid to say so focused on the cost of glasses and contact lenses I wrote an article about it.  Let me know what you think!   newbielink:http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a42.asp [nonactive]

Offline inga

• View Profile
    • http://poison-free-home.info/
« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2005 21:10:52 »
H'mm ... this thread caught my eye because I've experienced some quite remarkable results from a supplement I take. My retinal surgeon took a look at the ingredients and said it would definitely prevent/help macular degeneration, but that I didn't have it, and it might not do anything for me.

However, this is what it did for me:
It eliminated the "floaters" in my eye which the surgeon said might never go away. (I thought they might have gone away on their own, and I stopped the supplement. The floaters came back, and then went away when I took the supplement again.)

My night vision (driving) is much better when I take this supplement. I used to dread driving at night (I'm over 60), but now I enjoy it again.

It improved my vision sharpness during the day time. My vision actually got better in the last few years, rather than worse!!

The supplement I take contains the following:
120 g of marigold extract, which contains 6 mg of lutein and 264 mcg of zeaxanthin, 100 mg of blueberry powder and 20 mg bilberry extract.

The effects of lutein and zeaxanthin on macular degeneration are reasonably well researched. Blueberries and bilberries are also known to be rich in flavonoids that enhance eye function. The beautiful thing about natural supplements is that they aren't just specific to a single condition. In this instance, my experience indicates that these substances enhance overall eye health.

Unfortunately some of the pharmaceutical companies have jumped on the lutein band wagon and have incorporated lutein in their multi-vitamins -- but in far too low doses to have any therapeutic effect. The dosage (as given above for one daily capsule) in this particular supplement is based on the amount of lutein which had therapeutic effects in the research. Anything less may not make much of a difference. So read your labels. My retinal surgeon also pointed out that it's not clear that the lutein in foods is the same as that found in marigold extract. (Feel free to email me if you can't find anything similar at a reasonable price.)

I am now also taking a grapeskin/grapeseed/gingko biloba/quercetin supplement that should contribute to my eye health. Check out the rsearch on "flavonoids" and particularly the substances I mentioned above.

Offline josephhu

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/09/2005 21:52:45 »
Inga,

Please tell me where I could buy 120 g of marigold extract and which brand you are taking.  I have floaters in my eyes too

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/09/2005 01:30:07 »
Thanks for the suggestion Inga, I do have a lot of vision problems due to high blood sugar. At times, like now, I can read the screen, but if I shake my head, it can take several minutes to be able to read characters again, and there are times during the day when no reading is possible.

I came up with a surprising and evil tasting cure of oregano oil. Take two drops beneath the tongue, and in a minute or less my vision clears. Of course it is the most disgusting thing you will ever take burning like pepper and leaving a bad taste in your mouth. They do make capsules of the stuff that don't taste as bad, but they don't get it in your blood stream as fast or as efficiently. But it works for me quite well.

p.s. don't kiss your wife after a dose.

David

Offline inga

• View Profile
    • http://poison-free-home.info/
« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2005 00:13:47 »
"josehphua," I'll email you privately.

David, that reference to oregano oil is interesting. Oregano oil is known as a powerful bactericide and viricide, but I have no idea why it solves your vision problems. (That would take a bit of research.)

But, if I were you, I'd do something about solving my blood sugar problem. High blood sugar is not just a nuisance, it's *dangerous*! I'm guessing you have Type II diabetes, and that usually responds fairly well to lifestyle changes. Have you looked into that? (Any medications you take for diabetes won't make you better. They only suppress some symptoms and have some negative side effects.)

By the way, the same grapeskin/grapeseed/gingko biloba/quercetin supplement that I take also reverses some of the side effects of diabetes. If you'll look up the research on flavonoids and proanthocyanidin, you'll know why

Currently I'm pulling together some research on alternative treatments of diabetes, and I'll be posting on a web site soon, but it isn't quite ready yet. (If you're in a hurry, email me privately.)

Best wishes to you,
Inga

Put a smile on someone's face with newbielink:http://smile-starters.com [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2005 00:13:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums