The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Vista Speedboost !!..What Is It ?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Vista Speedboost !!..What Is It ?
« on: 30/03/2009 15:23:33 »
I just plugged a new SD memory card into my new Super Puter and Windows offered me the opportunity to use it via Speedboost and that this would help speed up my computer !! I have a 4gb card and an 8gb card !

How would it do this and would it really make things work faster ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2009 16:34:17 »
The computer can access data quicker from a memory chip (like in the SD card) than from the hard drive.

If you are short on RAM, (sheep pun not intended), the computer is frequently having to transfer data from the hard drive to RAM to process it then writing the processed data back to the hard drive. The bigger the RAM the less frequently these time consuming transfers have to take place, giving your computer more time to process data rather than perform housekeeping data transfers. So the tasks you set the computer can be performed quicker if you have more RAM. 

[I have tried the vista "Readyboost" thing with 2Gb and 4Gb SD cards, they didn't seem make any difference to the speed in my case.
 Perhaps an improvenent in speed is only noticable when using programmes which require high volume (Gb size) memory transfers, e.g. video editing].

PS if you do use the "Readyboost" thing make sure you get the "This device can be safely removed from the computer" message before you remove the SD card. When you choose to remove a SD card being used for "Readyboost" it may take a minute for the computer to transfer the Gbs of data from the SD card to the hard drive.    
« Last Edit: 30/03/2009 16:44:41 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2009 21:31:12 »
The computer can access data quicker from a memory chip (like in the SD card) than from the hard drive.

If you are short on RAM, (sheep pun not intended), the computer is frequently having to transfer data from the hard drive to RAM to process it then writing the processed data back to the hard drive. The bigger the RAM the less frequently these time consuming transfers have to take place, giving your computer more time to process data rather than perform housekeeping data transfers. So the tasks you set the computer can be performed quicker if you have more RAM.

[I have tried the vista "Readyboost" thing with 2Gb and 4Gb SD cards, they didn't seem make any difference to the speed in my case.
 Perhaps an improvenent in speed is only noticable when using programmes which require high volume (Gb size) memory transfers, e.g. video editing].

PS if you do use the "Readyboost" thing make sure you get the "This device can be safely removed from the computer" message before you remove the SD card. When you choose to remove a SD card being used for "Readyboost" it may take a minute for the computer to transfer the Gbs of data from the SD card to the hard drive.     

Thank You RD....I have 8gig of RAM (lucky me !)..I wonder if it's worth it to me..I suppose I could say ' yes' to use it so that if it's needed it can have it !

Thanks again

Neil

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2009 21:50:42 »
Thank You RD....I have 8gig of RAM (lucky me !)
..I wonder if it's worth it to me..I suppose I could say ' yes' to use it so that if it's needed it can have it !

If you say "yes" the computer will ringfence virtually all of the memory on the SD card, (the default setting is ~90%): essentially the SD card will then be dedicated to its "readyboost" function. (Although the amount of the SD card allocated to "Readyboost"  can be set at a lower amount).
« Last Edit: 30/03/2009 22:15:37 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2009 21:50:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums