The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Was Jesus real or was he a great magician?  (Read 26252 times)

lyner

Was Jesus real or was he a great magician?
« Reply #75 on: 19/05/2009 12:26:40 »
I hope that you are correct that there is a workable alternative to religions, in the long run. It may be that religions will not be needed in the future. But, as with all things, revolution is a risky business. Can we be sure that the feedback mechanisms will cope?

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #76 on: 19/05/2009 12:51:23 »
It's possible that a real revolution could have scary consequences (if it were ever possible, which I doubt). What we would need is for the nonreligious population to continue to grow as it is now or reasonably faster, so that the species eventually abandons organised superstition on its own terms. Along with this, perhaps vigorous moral education could take its place if necessary, and there's nothing to stop religions evolving towards that pure role.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19/05/2009 21:01:21 »
So called fundamentalists pick up a religion and interpret it in their own interests and use it as an excuse for the antisocial behaviours you quote. Is that the fault of 'the religion'? Don't you think that they would be just as objectionable without the religious connection?

but without the religious connection, they no longer have that excuse for their actions, and would have alot more trouble convincing others to help them fly planes into buildings, or to justify their view that homosexuals are evil.

lyner

« Reply #78 on: 20/05/2009 14:36:47 »
It is interesting how many times antirligionists quote the bad aspects of religions yet neglect the vast numbers of good works carried out in the name of religion. There is little thought given, either, to speculating where we might have been without the development of religion. It would be unfair not to mention the non religious states and organizations which go around doing harm left right and centre.
I have yet to read an unbiased comparison of the two philosophies and their effect on the World as a whole. When you get down to it, it becomes clear that arguments for and against are just as subjective as each other. Two 'faiths', in fact, at work.
« Last Edit: 20/05/2009 14:44:27 by sophiecentaur »

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #79 on: 20/05/2009 15:30:53 »
Throughout history, the majority of people have been religious. It therefore is inevitable that the majority of people who do good charity work etc have also been religious.

And are you aware of this? It suggests faith is obsolete when it comes to being a good citizen.
http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/05/14/do-religious-people-make-better-citizens/

There is also no logical pathway from nonbelief to evil, yet there is one from belief - it's right in the holy books in print. If you believe that you will be rewarded for terrorism and that God's will is always good, why wouldn't you do what he wants?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #80 on: 20/05/2009 16:20:04 »
There can be no doubt that religions have played a great part in man's moral evolution. Whether we would have arrived at the same moral codes without religion is open to question, but the answer can never be known.

Have we, in fact, retained the same moral codes as our animal cousins? Some animals are gregarious, some are loners, so are we. Some stake out their territory, so do we we. Some share territory, oddly, so do we. Some fight, even to the death, over Territorial possesion, so do we. Some kill other animals for food, so do we. Some kill other animals for fun, so do we.

Are we really so fundamentally different from the rest of the animal kingdom? I don't think we are. Would we have been fundamentally different without religion? That's the $64,000 question, to which the answer is - YES ............. or NO!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 20/05/2009 18:54:53 »
It seems to have been a while since anyone actually looked at the original question. This seems to me to be one of theose  "Religion; Yes or No?" threads that rambles on, never convinces anyone, never prooves anything and, in the end, just risks upsetting people.

Ought we to close it?

lyner

« Reply #82 on: 20/05/2009 22:48:59 »
You have a point there, BC.
(I'm still right, though!)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 21/05/2009 06:54:24 »
Both sides of the debate are "right" from their own point of view. That's why it's not science.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #84 on: 21/05/2009 08:24:42 »

Ought we to close it?

Agreed. There is no right or wrong.

lyner

« Reply #85 on: 21/05/2009 13:12:43 »
Both sides of the debate are "right" from their own point of view. That's why it's not science.
BC, you are SUCH a sport sport!
But, as you say, we'll all have to agree to differ.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #85 on: 21/05/2009 13:12:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums