The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should some species die out?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
Should some species die out?
« on: 03/04/2009 14:52:09 »
We are all concerned about conservation, but sometimes I wonder. We always seem to assume that if a species dies out, it is the result of man-made interference. Are there not some species which would die out anyway by natural selection, in which case, mankind would be interfering by saving something which shouldn't be saved (Assuming we do, in fact, save them!). How could we identify which species to leave alone? What do the rest of you think?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2009 15:23:56 »
Man's influence reaches far beyond that which he physically touches. There are parts of the tropical rain forests where modern man has never set foot, yet our influence may still be reaching these areas. I doubt we could determine whether or not a particular species was dying out due solely to natural selection or if man's influence was playing some part in that species demise.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2009 17:31:33 »
The issue of species dieing out is more about the rate.
In an absolute sense it is entirely correct to say that species die out all the time and with sufficient time, other species will fill the ecological niche.
Species specific intervention - that often occurs for the more iconic species - e.g. (in the UK) Red Squirrels, or Siberian Tiger etc. Is often too little too late - if land use change has lead to reduced or fragmented viable habitat (or whatever) no matter how good a management plan, or reintroduction scheme the species is likely to die out.

I will try and look out some figures to give comparative (estimated) rates of extinction  etc. over the weekend

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2009 18:37:23 »
I will try and look out some figures to give comparative (estimated) rates of extinction  etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2009 18:37:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums